Stashing your ride in the mts.

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Think Chewbacca, but in camouflage colours. You can buy one here:

I like the idea but I am more concerned with camouflaging the bike instead of me. The moustache fends off any possible prey.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Hasn't it got walk mode? If I hold the minus button down on my Bafang buttons it pushes the bike at about 3 MPH, just for this purpose, pushing it uphill on foot.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Sometimes an E bike ride turns into a hike in areas that require spending a lot of time just getting there. Do you ever stash your bike because the terrain or climb is too much and you continue on to the summit by foot ? I dread the thought of doing such a thing but it crops up from time to time. Occasionally I would just carry my analog bike to the top but the weight of an ebike is another thing. Unfortunately there isn’t usually any handy caves nearby usually just rocks. So what to do , have you ever come across a stashed ride and or stashed yours ?
Did it loads in my Munro days i have a hardtail with panniers. Never did it with full suss Nicolai. Did it for half an hour last year with ebike. Depends where you are at i suppose. Quite common in Scotland you see quite a lot an odd one may be padlocked but most just left leaning against anything there , not seen a Ebike though probably never will. I leave seakayak many a time to go back for van. Saying that i wouldn't leave any bike outside a shop .

Last edited:

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Ragnor , good questions. It has a trail to the peak but is hardly ever used and is pretty much abandoned though I haven’t been there for 6 years or so. Civilization is a good 5 hours away and the last 2-3 kms are Boldering to the Summit. I can ride up to the Bolder fields and that’s where I would have to stash the bike. Since it’s above the tree line there’s nothing but rocks to hid it in. I have just purchased a Thule rucksack with the battery compartment built in with a back guard. My second battery has just arrived and fits Perfect ! I will be loading it to approximately 20-30 lbs of gear. Since the scramble to the Summit is an additional couple hrs from the stash site I really need to make sure everything is well hidden. I have never seen a single person in the area and don’t expect to. Thanks
With that scenario I'd be perfectly happy to leave my bike stashed but perhaps U or chain locked as additional insurance. Agreed that carrying the battery is a ball ache. I've carried it a short distance uphill in Summer conditions but it's not ideal. Stashing the battery however would seem to be possible based on your conditions. Perhaps a small distance from the bike with a GPS location.

Best of luck. Would seem to be a fun trip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles