Stashing your ride in the mts.

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Sometimes an E bike ride turns into a hike in areas that require spending a lot of time just getting there. Do you ever stash your bike because the terrain or climb is too much and you continue on to the summit by foot ? I dread the thought of doing such a thing but it crops up from time to time. Occasionally I would just carry my analog bike to the top but the weight of an ebike is another thing. Unfortunately there isn’t usually any handy caves nearby usually just rocks. So what to do , have you ever come across a stashed ride and or stashed yours ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Stash your bike and walk away!! Are you out of your mind? :eek:
I have no idea what the population density is in Bea Sea Canada, but in the UK I can pretty much guarantee that if I left my bike anywhere for 30 mins unguarded, it would be gone. My insurance company would not be at all helpful. "You mean you just walked away and left it? Why did you do that?"

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Haha I am not kidding ! It’s all about reaching the Summit that is impossible to do on a bike. There is so many totally isolated areas here that seeing anyone on a ride/hike is Very rare. There is a particular mt. that I have been wanting to Summit for a couple years now. The last 2 kms are shear rocks and very steep so taking my ride isn’t an option… 😬

5FCB9591-CE54-4574-8BA3-4F363072D0A5.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Stash your bike and walk away!! Are you out of your mind? :eek:
I have no idea what the population density is in Bea Sea Canada, but in the UK I can pretty much guarantee that if I left my bike anywhere for 30 mins unguarded, it would be gone. My insurance company would not be at all helpful. "You mean you just walked away and left it? Why did you do that?"
Are you saying you don't carry a bike Ghillie suit as part of your standard equipment ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Haha I am not kidding ! It’s all about reaching the Summit that is impossible to do on a bike. There is so many totally isolated areas here that seeing anyone on a ride/hike is Very rare. There is a particular mt. that I have been wanting to Summit for a couple years now. The last 2 kms are shear rocks and very steep so taking my ride isn’t an option… 😬

View attachment 80157
Nope, not seeing the problem. Just ride up so you can ride down ?

One of my bikes is white. There's no way I'd leave it there, I'd never find it again.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve never come across a stashed bike but there has been a few times where I needed to stash the bike. Either while hiking or trail repairs but the options are endless here. We have a different terrain. Dense forest, lots of big tree stumps and the rare hiker on a very little travelled trail. I’ve also placed a tracker inside the frame. I keep my backpack and iPhone with me since my backpack was taken by a bear. That’s another story. It’s easy to hide or bury my bike a few meters off the trail. Finding the breadcrumbs back to my bike can be a problem.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

View attachment 80157
OK, I get the whole idea that it is in an isolated place. But getting the summit is obviously "a thing" for you, so why not others? And if it seems like a good day to do a summit, those others may feel the same way. They may follow your tyre tracks, thinking to themselves "WOW! I've just got to see the bike that got this far and meet the rider!" Then they find the bike and start thinking "Hmm, nice bike. Wish I had one of those!" ......:devilish:

I am emotionally incapable of leaving my bike in a public place, even if it was securely locked up. The frame and fork might still be there when I get back, but the rest of it wouldn't be! :(

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Oh yah, I stash the trail-tools also. I’ve got tools in a couple of locations right now so I usually take a picture of the area and make a note on my phone in case I forget (memory issues 😳).
If I leave the cordless tools up there I just put them in a plastic garbage bag. No losses so far.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I stash bikes all the time. Most people never get off of the trail, so if it's out of sight, it should be fine. The farther out of sight, even better, I mean, what are the odds that someone will jump off the trail at the same particular point and go tromping around? If you're really worried, a small camo/green tarp or poncho should make it even harder to spot.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
My sacrificial bike is an old merida hard tail - from the era when a xxl frame still had 26 " wheels. I leave it highly visible so there is no confusion - this is NOT a bike being dumped. It's really handy for times when we want to kayak down a river then ride back to the car, but I never thought about the inconvenience of it being stolen - walking back to the car woukd be a PITA !

The change of clothes I leave are a lot less stylish than a gulle suit - I can see the logic, but sooner or later you will return to a bike being stroked by a person you DO NOT want to be alone in the forrest with......

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I have thought about doing this for fly fishing in remote spots . Haven't done it yet . My idea was to move it of the trail and In a large bush somewhere. Although whilst writing this I just thought my bike is a very hot kinda red and blue . Hmmm .

Did someone say packeaft ? Although strapping a lithium battery aboard the. Klymit....yeah, nah...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There is a particular mt.

View attachment 80157
Hey, that looks like Mount Jaspy. ??
Now I remember you in school, our grade 3 teacher was Ms. Vandawater. You may have had facial hair back then too. How’d you get such a big mountain? Mine’s small. I shouldn’t complain since everyone gets one after graduation.…kindergarten was a tough time. 😉

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Now I remember you in school, our grade 3 teacher was Ms. Vandawater. You may have had facial hair back then too. How’d you get such a big mountain? Mine’s small. I shouldn’t complain since everyone gets one after graduation.…kindergarten was a tough time. 😉
Never mind reminiscing about your school fantasies, we want the story about the bear and your backpack.

Last edited:

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Is it a recognised "hiking" trail & just how near is civilisation. Is it a "hiking" peak or a climbing one & just how busy is the trail with people. Can you carry your battery in your rucksack up the mountain? That's what I did along with the Kiox. Locked bike up with a chain. Never saw a soul until I got back to the car but it was a fairly remote Scottish hill.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Never mind reminiscing about your school fantasies, we want the story about the bear and your backpack.
I’m more afraid of a “Ten ton Duck” then a 400+lb bear. Regardless, my stashing methods have changed …my entire life is on my phone. Yogi is probably sleeping right now …now is the time for frequent shoulder checks since the Cougars are about to move down. Silent But Deadly. 😳

Last edited:

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Now I remember you in school, our grade 3 teacher was Ms. Vandawater. You may have had facial hair back then too. How’d you get such a big mountain? Mine’s small. I shouldn’t complain everyone gets one after graduation.…kindergarten was a tough time. 😉
Sorry man you must be thinking of my brother, I graduated from Smogwarts in 33. Master Doogal Dorff was headmaster back then with Slapity Backity. I have been trying to find my way back there but traversing Mt. Jaspy with my ride is still in the works. Perhaps we could meet at Shitole ledge on the Eastern hump and hide the bikes there. What says you ? And btw my mom left me her facial hair when she graduated , I find it handy for opening beer bottles and hanging my gloves. Should we wait til Spring or just load the bikes on the dogsled ? 😎

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Is it a recognised "hiking" trail & just how near is civilisation. Is it a "hiking" peak or a climbing one & just how busy is the trail with people. Can you carry your battery in your rucksack up the mountain? That's what I did along with the Kiox. Locked bike up with a chain. Never saw a soul until I got back to the car but it was a fairly remote Scottish hill.
Ragnor , good questions. It has a trail to the peak but is hardly ever used and is pretty much abandoned though I haven’t been there for 6 years or so. Civilization is a good 5 hours away and the last 2-3 kms are Boldering to the Summit. I can ride up to the Bolder fields and that’s where I would have to stash the bike. Since it’s above the tree line there’s nothing but rocks to hid it in. I have just purchased a Thule rucksack with the battery compartment built in with a back guard. My second battery has just arrived and fits Perfect ! I will be loading it to approximately 20-30 lbs of gear. Since the scramble to the Summit is an additional couple hrs from the stash site I really need to make sure everything is well hidden. I have never seen a single person in the area and don’t expect to. Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ragnor , good questions. It has a trail to the peak but is hardly ever used and is pretty much abandoned though I haven’t been there for 6 years or so. Civilization is a good 5 hours away and the last 2-3 kms are Boldering to the Summit. I can ride up to the Bolder fields and that’s where I would have to stash the bike. Since it’s above the tree line there’s nothing but rocks to hid it in. I have just purchased a Thule rucksack with the battery compartment built in with a back guard. My second battery has just arrived and fits Perfect ! I will be loading it to approximately 20-30 lbs of gear. Since the scramble to the Summit is an additional couple hrs from the stash site I really need to make sure everything is well hidden. I have never seen a single person in the area and don’t expect to. Thanks
Not wanting to be serious and de-rail this thread ...

But, if you do hide the the bike, either under a rock coloured sheet with some rocks on it so it doesn't flap about in the wind. You could take the wheels off and hide them somewhere else, like a few hundred meters further on. It would take a very determined/crazy person to steal an eMTB with no wheels, that's a lot of weight to have to carry around.

You could even spend several hours carefully painting your sheet to perfectly match it's surroundings, though it would be far easier and quicker to just leave a copy of playboy magazine near which anyone who passed would immediately see and not notice your bike - well, not unless they were some kind of twisted pervert :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Okay stupid question ; What is a guille suit and why don’t I have this accessory? 🤔
Think Chewbacca, but in camouflage colours. You can buy one here:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles