Standard DT 350 rear hub

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
Hey all,
New to the e bike world and I could use some advice. Will a standard non e bike version of the DT-350 hold up on an e bike? I’ve had great luck with DT hubs for over a decade, however I’m skinny and left to my own devices I’m not putting out significant power. I’m not used to tearing stuff up. Any real world input would be helpful.

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Hey all,
New to the e bike world and I could use some advice. Will a standard non e bike version of the DT-350 hold up on an e bike? I’ve had great luck with DT hubs for over a decade, however I’m skinny and left to my own devices I’m not putting out significant power. I’m not used to tearing stuff up. Any real world input would be helpful.
Yes......

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I've got a DT350 with 36 tooth ratchet on the Rise and it's been fine for the short time it's been fitted, but I have a 24 tooth ratchet set spare in case it fails. An alloy MS freehub has been fine on the Rise too (no damage to the freehub splines after a few hundred km).

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
i would say otherwise. Mine has a 350 hub with 36 teeth ratchet (steel version) and died after 40 miles. upgraded to the 24 tooth. teeth are deeper and seems to have a better engagement.
I have a set on my regular bike that I swapped to 54 tooth. They get pretty fine as the number of teeth increases. I was thinking of leaving them at 24 on the e-bike.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
If you keep the Star ratchets clean and lubed (whenever they get noisy), you should be fine with the 36t ratchet. I’ve used the same 54t ratchets in 350 hubs for years including non-ebikes, a full power Levo (~3500 miles), and a Levo SL (~3000 miles). I like the quick engagement of 54t.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hey all,
I would be more concerned about the splines on an aluminum HG/Microspline free hub getting torn to shreds (difficult to get the cassette off) than the POE ratchet teeth unless its a bad hub or you really are hard on things. I only use XD free hubs now and don't worry about the internals. YMMV

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
I pulled the trigger on regular DT 350's. A bit of research turned up that the star ratchets can be replaced with steel "e-bike" rated ratchets. I'll probably pick a set of the steel star ratchets up and either carry them with, or swap them out. I think initially I will just leave the regular ratchets in and see how it goes.

I have a hard time switching away form DT as I am so familiar with them and they are so easy to maintain. I will update this thread as I get them and see how they hold up.
It might be a hit-or-miss situation. If you are willing to consider ratchet parts as consumables and replace them when and if needed, then you're fine.

If on the other hand, you are willing to invest more in the wheel department, Onyx hubs are hard to beat: instant engagement, silent when coasting, e-bike rated.

Onyx Classic Hubs for an E-MTB – Onyxhubseurope.com goes electric! - Onyx Hubs Europe
These would be really nice and I do love the idea of a silent free hub and instant engagement. I'm a big fan of hubs that aren't super noisy. Thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles