SRAM X1 11 gears all over the place

rwhitfie

Sep 14, 2020
Gloucester
Bike is pretty much unrideable at the moment as the gears keep wanting to jump about. Changed the hanger as that had visible damage but that‘s not helped. Indexed the bike before so known how to do that but the bike isn’t playing ball? Indexed on smallest gear but it won’t get to largest gear. Also noticed in the past I’ve had chain suck and issues where the shifter wouldn’t shift to a higher gear, so the derailleur was sticking, lots of mud. I’m wondering what bits might be causing the issue, I did have an issue in the past but a new cassette and chain sorted that one out. I’m wondering if the mech is goosed or a combo of that and a sticky cable run? Any thoughts or pointers or do I just bite the bullet and start replacing the group set?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you bent the hanger chances are you hit the rear mech as well. If you disconnect the cable and operate the mech by hand you can check the high/low stops and the operation of the mech. If all seems OK there, the next obvious step is renew the inner cable.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Did you double check the gap adjustment? SRAM 11 and 12 speed derailleurs are very sensitive to a proper setting on that.

Changing the cable (I would do both the inner and outer) would also be a cheap next step.

rwhitfie

Sep 14, 2020
Gloucester
If you bent the hanger chances are you hit the rear mech as well. If you disconnect the cable and operate the mech by hand you can check the high/low stops and the operation of the mech. If all seems OK there, the next obvious step is renew the inner cable.
I’ll check that tomorrow, good shout.

rwhitfie

Sep 14, 2020
Gloucester
Did you double check the gap adjustment? SRAM 11 and 12 speed derailleurs are very sensitive to a proper setting on that.

Changing the cable (I would do both the inner and outer) would also be a cheap next step.
What gap should that be? Is that the b-screw adjustment ... I think I read that it’s 84mm from hub centre to clutch pivot?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
some confusion here. This SRAM user manual doc says 14 mm with the suspension at its sag point.

b stop.JPG

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
What gap should that be? Is that the b-screw adjustment ... I think I read that it’s 84mm from hub centre to clutch pivot?
I read something like this, can't find the source. Lot easier than trying to set the gap at the suspension sag point. Think it's Levo specific as it depends on the hanger dimensions so it wouldn't be in SRAM docs.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Ps, also worth examining the outer casing where it enters the mech. Garry gave some sound advice about trimming it rather than replacing it in another thread. Also check jockey wheels and the larger pulley are running smoothly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles