• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

SRAM Powertrain noise

candlewax

Jan 24, 2024
California
Hi Everyone -

I am a new owner of a Transition Repeater PT (new SRAM motor) and after just three rides, a new and horrible squeaking noise has developed in the drive-side crank/chainring area. At first I thought it might be the chain (it's been pretty wet, so maybe needed more chain lube), but alas it's where the crank arm meets the spindle and motor housing. I assume it's just some dirt and grime in some of the internals and I would normally just pull the drivetrain apart and clean and re-lube, but being brand new to E-bikes and especially the SRAM motor assembly, I am wondering how far I should go on my own. The SRAM Powertrain manual says I should be able to take the cranks and chainring off (allowing me to get in and clean the area), but I would like to know if someone else here has run into this issue and whether a home cleaning fixes it, or if it is indicative of a bigger internal motor issue that requires visiting a shop/dealer.

Thanks!

Heliflyr

Mar 20, 2024
United States
Hi Everyone -

I am a new owner of a Transition Repeater PT (new SRAM motor) and after just three rides, a new and horrible squeaking noise has developed in the drive-side crank/chainring area. At first I thought it might be the chain (it's been pretty wet, so maybe needed more chain lube), but alas it's where the crank arm meets the spindle and motor housing. I assume it's just some dirt and grime in some of the internals and I would normally just pull the drivetrain apart and clean and re-lube, but being brand new to E-bikes and especially the SRAM motor assembly, I am wondering how far I should go on my own. The SRAM Powertrain manual says I should be able to take the cranks and chainring off (allowing me to get in and clean the area), but I would like to know if someone else here has run into this issue and whether a home cleaning fixes it, or if it is indicative of a bigger internal motor issue that requires visiting a shop/dealer.

Thanks!
Did you get this noise sorted out?

Heliflyr

Mar 20, 2024
United States
Yes, the noise went away after a few more rides. Chalk it up to being a new bike and just needing to break things in a bit. It's actually remarkable at how quiet the bike is, it's been a blast!!
How many miles on yours? My first one had a speed sensor problem and after 400 miles they swapped out the whole bike for me, which was cool of them. Now have 400 miles on the replacement and it just developed a serious issue but waiting to see how Transition / SRAM handles it before I post anything specific (video) online.

uxrjav

Jul 17, 2023
Mex
How many miles on yours? My first one had a speed sensor problem and after 400 miles they swapped out the whole bike for me, which was cool of them. Now have 400 miles on the replacement and it just developed a serious issue but waiting to see how Transition / SRAM handles it before I post anything specific (video) online.
So what happened? Can you explain more on the issues? Two bikes and two problems in a short ammount of time does not sound good.

Looking at a repeater PT as an option and worried about this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles