SRAM GX11 rear mech jockey wheels replacement

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
after 6 weeks of ownership from brand new my SRAM GX11 jockey wheels are seized solid and are clearly a pile of shit.. I have stripped and cleaned the bearings before packing them with marine grease to get me over the Christmas period but that will be a regular thing for me unless I replace them so...
judging by my experience I imagine many of you have already been here so, what did you replace them with?

straight away im thinking HOPE but all suggestions welcome.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I have the sram x1 jockey wheels, and I've been very impressed, they have been on the bike over 4000 miles and are not badly worn and have never seized.
Don't know what difference is between them and the gx11 ones?

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
No issue here, fine since August.. but a quick search suggest just getting NX version* and do away with bearings or replace the bearing in your current set with 626rs bearings. Otherwise Uberbike do some for £30..

*you've prompted me to buy some, as not being able to ride due a failed cheap part is rubbish

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Amazed to hear they last at all, these are mine after 6 weeks and around 15 rides

6C0AA05E-2AF1-42F6-AF67-D66A326AC0E0.jpeg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
No issue here, fine since August.. but a quick search suggest just getting NX version* and do away with bearings or replace the bearing in your current set with 626rs bearings. Otherwise Uberbike do some for £30..

*you've prompted me to buy some, as not being able to ride due a failed cheap part is rubbish

I found these plastic bearings - Miniature ball bearings | Plastic Ball Bearings all Made in Japan Kashima Bearings, Inc. Japan

no problem with rust there just got to clean the crap out ever so often I would reckon.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I'm also thinking on replacing GX bearing jockeys to NX bushings jockeys for cold/wet part of the year, are NX/Apex1 1x11 jockeys straight swap on GX 1x11 derailleur? I have read somewhere that some modifications (drilling holes?) are needed but I don't find it anymore, but maybe this was discussion about another NX jockeys ...

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
This has happened to me twice, both times at the 3 month point. First time put on Hope 12 tooth ones, still sound after 3 years, second time Superstar Components, first ride ok. Next time I get a SRAM rear mech I'll swap the jockey wheels straight away and keep the originals as a spare.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Buy Shimano components from CRC and they give a two-year warranty. I've never had to use it on jockey wheels, but I have used it on a cassette that failed. Replacement was by return of post, after I sent photos of the problem.
Note CRC = Chain Reaction Cycles. They make a point of mentioning this on all the Shimnao stuff but not any other brand.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I'm also thinking on replacing GX bearing jockeys to NX bushings jockeys for cold/wet part of the year, are NX/Apex1 1x11 jockeys straight swap on GX 1x11 derailleur? I have read somewhere that some modifications (drilling holes?) are needed but I don't find it anymore, but maybe this was discussion about another NX jockeys ...
To answer my own question: bought NX/Apex1 1x11 jockeys and I can now confirm these are not direct swap to GX jockeys; lower jockey fits fine, but the upper does not - I guess if you also replace removable part of the cage for NX type it could work, but with GX cage you'll have to drill a bigger hole into washer to proper fit the jockey into the cage ...

EDIT: After waching this video also replacing removable NX cage won't work, because NX has upper jockey bolt from opposite side as lower jockey bolt ...

Last edited:

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Two dirty rides on my brand new gx drive train.
Got bike out of garage today and both jockey wheels seized solid.
Freed them up and re greased, hope this is not a regular occurrence

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
That looks like water damage, are you using a pressure washer? I’m still running the same jockey wheels for over 1k miles on my GX11 rear mech, including through our lovely British winter.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
To answer my own question: bought NX/Apex1 1x11 jockeys and I can now confirm these are not direct swap to GX jockeys; lower jockey fits fine, but the upper does not - I guess if you also replace removable part of the cage for NX type it could work, but with GX cage you'll have to drill a bigger hole into washer to proper fit the jockey into the cage ...

EDIT: After waching this video also replacing removable NX cage won't work, because NX has upper jockey bolt from opposite side as lower jockey bolt ...
The lower one is NX and upper one is GX jockey, will keep it installed like that and see how it goes ...

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
This has happened to me twice, both times at the 3 month point. First time put on Hope 12 tooth ones, still sound after 3 years, second time Superstar Components, first ride ok. Next time I get a SRAM rear mech I'll swap the jockey wheels straight away and keep the originals as a spare.
Hay Kenny, would be good to know how you got on with those superstar component ones?

I am in same issue as everyone else with seized up bearings on a GX 11spd and looking for a solution. I’ve tried swapping out bearings and the new ones lasted only one ride.

Almost half the price of the Hope ones. I assume you get your mech properly wet muddy putting these through their paces?

Did you go for regular or ceramic bearings, I prefer the price of non ceramic of course?

I am fitting these to a sram GX 11spd, I tried fitting NX ones but got into the same issue someone else on here mentioned where they are not compatible, what is your mech, just checking these fit GX okay?

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
GX mech, the superstar ones are fine, had them about 9 months now, in some really atrocious wet and muddy conditions in the Quantocks.

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
GX mech, the superstar ones are fine, had them about 9 months now, in some really atrocious wet and muddy conditions in the Quantocks.
Great, really appreciate the advice. I’ll get them and give them ago.

Did you go for regular or ceramic bearings, I prefer the price of non ceramic of course?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Oops, missed that bit. I went for regular bearings on the premise that the seals are the same on both, and the weak point. A point to watch on the mech, by the way, is the pulley wheel that the cable goes round, it is prone to getting sticky but is dead easy to take apart and clean. Just take some photos first so you get it back together the same.

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
Oops, missed that bit. I went for regular bearings on the premise that the seals are the same on both, and the weak point. A point to watch on the mech, by the way, is the pulley wheel that the cable goes round, it is prone to getting sticky but is dead easy to take apart and clean. Just take some photos first so you get it back together the same.
Great, my thoughts too re ceramic. I’ll buy the regular superstar component ones now and give them ago.

Now you say that about the pulley, i had noticed shifting gears had become harder, I hadn’t thought any more of it, but, now I’ll try and work it out.

[EDIT] BONUS: they are offering 20% discount with code BLACKNOVEMBER2, might do ceramic after all.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I also had shifting problems recently following a wee crash that bent my mech hanger. New hanger, checked alignment, checked cables but shifting still crap. Realised it was worse in some of the gears so got a new SLX cassette, huge improvement.

Austinc

Nov 19, 2020
Marlow
I also had shifting problems recently following a wee crash that bent my mech hanger. New hanger, checked alignment, checked cables but shifting still crap. Realised it was worse in some of the gears so got a new SLX cassette, huge improvement.
this is getting dangerous hanging out on here. Just had to buy a new GXP bottom bracket + chain + these jockey wheels all because I get the bike muddy. (Was properly muddy, but even so)

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
A point to watch on the mech, by the way, is the pulley wheel that the cable goes round, it is prone to getting sticky but is dead easy to take apart and clean. Just take some photos first so you get it back together the same.
i swapped that little plastic pulley for an aluminium MTZoom one with a bearing

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have worn out the teeth on jockey wheels, but I have never had any seize up on me. Maybe it is because after every wash of the bike, I use the thin straw on an aerosol can of TF2 teflon to spray into the jockey axle. (Just don't let overspray get onto the brake disc).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles