Levo Gen 3 Sram GX transmission on Turbo Levo?

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I have the last gen AXS GX system on my 22 Turbo Levo now and cracked the deraillure on a wreck. :( I see that the new SRAM transmissions are out now and they're supposed to be better shifting under load (which I suck at letting off the throttle when shifting so that's a good thing). It looks like since I have the old system I can just get a new cassette, deraillure, chain, and front ring, and that's all I need.

Is there any reason to just get the whole kit so I have the crank as well?

Anyone else installed this and what's your impression?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thats one heck of a premium price solution compared to repairing or replacing the derailleur ( you can replace the rear of the cage) ...........in exchange only for learning to back off a little when changing gear!!
I have the original AXS and found that you do not really need to back off hardly at all.........just avoid changing with a lot of force on the cranks.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I appreciate the response. To be honest, I'm not all that angry that I have to upgrade. I don't know how much better the transmission is than the AXS at shifting under load, but reviews seem to say it's a lot better. I've broken a chain 3 times in the last year because apparently I suck at backing off the power. My AXS never has shifted right with any amount of power on it. I guess I always got away with power shifts when I didn't have the motor assist adding to stress on the chain. The transmission is just what I've been waiting for.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I just realized that specialized now makes a pro version of the turbo levo which has the SRAM transmission installed from the factory. I wonder what they're doing about the chain line on the pro model.

Edit...

It took me a while to figure it out because the pro model doesn't list anything different, but when you go another model up it lists a new spider!

Screenshot_20230823_203715_Chrome.jpg

It says "sl" but it's listed on all the bikes with the transmission. I'm guessing they have a new part to align the chain line.

Last edited:

Roundbadge

Jan 9, 2022
Los Angeles
If you can afford it get the new system
I use both on different bikes
The transmission works under load and is easier to replace different derailleur parts as it’s modular
I think you can still use your current cranks as I did on my Crestline with a cx race Bosch system motor

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles