Kenevo SL 104 BCD Spider for SRAM Transmission on Kenevo/Levo SL?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I know someone who is interested in converting their Kenevo SL to SRAM T-Type Transmission, but isn't sure what the chainring options are. I've only been able to find 104 BCD T-Type compatible chainrings. Has anyone converted an SL yet? How'd you do it?

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
Just use the stock changing and it will be fine. I’ve been running mine for about a month with a new stock chainring and it works flawlessly.

fractal

Jul 18, 2023
bc
I just ordered the GX upgrade kit that comes with the 104BCD chainring. As you know, the kenevo SL uses a 94 BCD chainring.

My plan is to try to use this 104 BCD spider made by sram.

I think it should work, but on some sites it mentions its for 'mahle gen 2', and others say its for the sl 1.1 motor. The pattern looks fine, but it doesn't have this spider bolt (blue arrow)
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 8.49.42 AM.png

so i'm not sure if/how it will stay on. This spider is def the one in use on the sl 1.2 motor on the new turbo levo sl, as shown by zimmerframe in this other emtb thread.

Worst case, I guess I use the stock one and blow out my chains quicker.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I just ordered the GX upgrade kit that comes with the 104BCD chainring. As you know, the kenevo SL uses a 94 BCD chainring.

My plan is to try to use this 104 BCD spider made by sram.

I think it should work, but on some sites it mentions its for 'mahle gen 2', and others say its for the sl 1.1 motor. The pattern looks fine, but it doesn't have this spider bolt (blue arrow)
View attachment 120515
so i'm not sure if/how it will stay on. This spider is def the one in use on the sl 1.2 motor on the new turbo levo sl, as shown by zimmerframe in this other emtb thread.

Worst case, I guess I use the stock one and blow out my chains quicker.

Will it rub on the chainstay? Chainline the same?

fractal

Jul 18, 2023
bc
Good news, I just came across this post in the levo sl section with a comment from a SRAM rep that actually confirms the stock chainring using the 94 BCD pattern is compatible with the t-type chain. So I dont have to do any spider swapping at all.

On SRAMs site:
  1. Eagle Transmission T-Type chainrings are compatible with Eagle chains, so they can be used on Eagle Drivetrains when mounted to an Eagle Transmission crankset. However, Non-T-Type Eagle Drivetrain chainrings are incompatible with Eagle Transmission T-Type chains.
Which made me (and most everyone else) think the X-SYNC 2 stock chainring would not be compatible. There turns out to be an exception if the X-SYNC 2 chainring has a 'tg' stamp on the back. I just checked mine and it did, so this whole process got a lot simpler for me.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Good news, I just came across this post in the levo sl section with a comment from a SRAM rep that actually confirms the stock chainring using the 94 BCD pattern is compatible with the t-type chain. So I dont have to do any spider swapping at all.

On SRAMs site:
  1. Eagle Transmission T-Type chainrings are compatible with Eagle chains, so they can be used on Eagle Drivetrains when mounted to an Eagle Transmission crankset. However, Non-T-Type Eagle Drivetrain chainrings are incompatible with Eagle Transmission T-Type chains.
Which made me (and most everyone else) think the X-SYNC 2 stock chainring would not be compatible. There turns out to be an exception if the X-SYNC 2 chainring has a 'tg' stamp on the back. I just checked mine and it did, so this whole process got a lot simpler for me.

I spoke with SRAM directly, and the "official" answer I got was not compatible. There may well be some X-Sync 2 chainrings in the wild with that have the same tooth profile as the T-Type chain rings. Can you post a picture of your X-Sync 2 chainring teeth and I'll verify for you?

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK

On SRAMs site:
Excellent news that.

Nov 25, 2019
BC
Chaining from SRAM is still not available. Has anyone used a X-SYNC 2 stock chainring? While hunting for a 94 BCD chainring I came across this information on the Wolf Tooth website. The Transmission compatible chainring (Drop-Stop B) tooth shape is nearly identical to Eagle (Drop-Stop A), but has narrower teeth. Valley between teeth is deeper to accommodate larger rollers on Flattop chain. So this implies that the Flattop chain will not mate onto a standard Eagle chainring.

Apr 14, 2020
Surrey, UK
Hi,
According to an above post if the 94bcd chainring has TG stamped on the back it is t-type compatible. IF that is the case I have a brand new one I could sell. To be clear I don’t know if it is compatible, I’m just going off the information in this thread.
Cheers
Andrew

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles