SRAM EX1 Cassette - Anybody got / use one?

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
I would be interested to know of your experiences and mileage covered with the SRAM EX1 cassette? I have a Focus Jam Squared Factory and it came fitted with the 8 speed version. I have only done 277 miles in total, and the smallest sprocket (highest gear) is already worn. It started jumping under load in top gear around 30-40 miles ago, and I thought the chain needed replacing, but this was not the case... My park tool chain checker gave a reading of just .25mm wear, but I replaced chain in case and it still did it. TOTAL PILE OF SHIT. Thankfully I have taken it back to my dealer and they are going to give Focus an earful and get the part replaced. Thing is though, it will just start to wear to a chain-jumping point after another 250 miles or so right? Ridiculous. And FYI, I don't use turbo mode in the highest gear ever really, only eco or motor off, so Christ knows why this has worn so quickly. Any thoughts or feedback folks?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I would be interested to know of your experiences and mileage covered with the SRAM EX1 cassette? I have a Focus Jam Squared Factory and it came fitted with the 8 speed version. I have only done 277 miles in total, and the smallest sprocket (highest gear) is already worn. It started jumping under load in top gear around 30-40 miles ago, and I thought the chain needed replacing, but this was not the case... My park tool chain checker gave a reading of just .25mm wear, but I replaced chain in case and it still did it. TOTAL PILE OF SHIT. Thankfully I have taken it back to my dealer and they are going to give Focus an earful and get the part replaced. Thing is though, it will just start to wear to a chain-jumping point after another 250 miles or so right? Ridiculous. And FYI, I don't use turbo mode in the highest gear ever really, only eco or motor off, so Christ knows why this has worn so quickly. Any thoughts or feedback folks?

Just replied on your other post about this issue , can you post a pic . I understand the small sprockets are available seperatly so even if it is worn or damaged for some reason you should be able to buy just that one .
No wear much on ours ,mines done about 1200 miles all off road so far , it had a new chain at about 500 miles of winter use , but the new chain isn’t half worn yet , summer use .

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
About 2.5k miles on mine with no sign of wear, so no issue there.

I am fussy about maintenance though, and alternate between two chains. I have also found that the SRAM front sprocket for the Bosch DU offers good value for money, which given that I am a fan of Connex front sprockets, it is quite an achievement for SRAM for me to openly say that.

I have never really liked the original equipment X1 set up, as whilst the gear changes are very smooth, the leap between ratios is too great and not really suitable for my use. I am also not a fan of the weight saving manufacturing holes/gaps on SRAM cassettes and jockey wheels, as they collect too much mud and debris. I also find SRAM rear mechs as a whole to be less durable and fussy to keep operating smoothly.

When replacement time comes, I intend replace X1 with my preferred choice of Shimano XT rear mech and shifter, and ten speed 11/42 Sunrace cassette. Each of which have proved in the past, to be far more reliable for my use, along with a more suitable range of gearing for my use.

Wear on previous cassettes (Shimano and Sunrace) has always on been mid range ratios, with no wear on high or low ratios.

Last edited:

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I have one fitted but I’ve not done enough miles yet to comment on wear. The change is slick so no complaints there. Ratios are not right so I’m in two minds what to do. I like the 8 speed as I guess it allows a more robust chain than a 11 or 12 speed.
what I don’t like is the size of the whole ensemble. It’s huge.

Getting back to the OP’s problem, it sounds more like a badly adjusted mech than wear?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have one fitted but I’ve not done enough miles yet to comment on wear. The change is slick so no complaints there. Ratios are not right so I’m in two minds what to do. I like the 8 speed as I guess it allows a more robust chain than a 11 or 12 speed.
what I don’t like is the size of the whole ensemble. It’s huge.

Getting back to the OP’s problem, it sounds more like a badly adjusted mech than wear?
Changed mine out for Xt 11 speed after trying a sun race set up first The chains wore at about the same rate as any other chain , the cassette at about 2000 miles and 3 chains had real wear showing , it seemed tough as hell I think I dropped a couple of teeth on the front ring .but there were not quite enough ratios for me and that super long mech was vulnerable , there was no way I would have paid fir a new cassette , but that goes for most overpriced sram geartrains

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles