SRAM Code RSC issues

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I keep having issues with my front brake, maybe someone here can help me out before I pull these things off and bin them.

I have Code RSCs that came on my Levo, upgraded the rotors to the Hope HD rotors shortly after getting the bike. I did my normal bedding procedure that I’ve been doing without issues for years. My front brake started making a terrible noise shortly after the upgrade. Anytime I’d really pull the brake hard it would sound like metal grinding on metal, the pads ended up with grooves in them and you could see the lines on the rotors.

I went through the whole bleed process, reset the positions, re-centered the rotors, sanded them smooth and slapped in a new set of brake pads. Did the whole bedding process again and the same thing happens…the noise and the grooves.

I started thinking maybe it’s the rotors so I ordered some SRAM HS2 rotors and new brake pads once again. Went through the whole bleed, reset pistons and bedding process with the new rotors/pads…..same thing again with the noise and grooves.

These rotors are thicker than the old rotors but I know people are using the HS2 rotors with the codes without issues. Anyone have any ideas what else I could try?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Your problem can only be misalignment of the calliper with the rotor
you have the rotor rotation direction correct?
rotors same size ( diameter) as original........or post mount changed or modified to suit?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Your problem can only be misalignment of the calliper with the rotor
you have the rotor rotation direction correct?
rotors same size ( diameter) as original........or post mount changed or modified to suit?
Same size rotors going the right direction, double checked that because I thought that might have been the problem at first. I used my alignment tool to center the rotors, once the brakes are pumped up a few times there’s maybe 1mm clearance between the pads and rotor on each side. I’ve never had this issue before, the front and rear are the same set-up and it’s only doing on the front.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same size rotors going the right direction, double checked that because I thought that might have been the problem at first. I used my alignment tool to center the rotors, once the brakes are pumped up a few times there’s maybe 1mm clearance between the pads and rotor on each side. I’ve never had this issue before, the front and rear are the same set-up and it’s only doing on the front.
i was thinking more about the alignment of the pistons with the braking surface of the rotor. Im not sure how new rotors are protected whist in storage/packaging etc but I would think they need a very good clean with IPA to remove production or packaging layer on the rotor. Such a surface protection would immediately contaminate the pads as well if not removed. All things to try!!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
i was thinking more about the alignment of the pistons with the braking surface of the rotor. Im not sure how new rotors are protected whist in storage/packaging etc but I would think they need a very good clean with IPA to remove production or packaging layer on the rotor. Such a surface protection would immediately contaminate the pads as well if not removed. All things to try!!
I thought about that too, I sanded the contact surface on the rotors before I put the second set of pads on. I’m out of ideas, I’ve never had pads get lines worn in them before.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I thought about that too, I sanded the contact surface on the rotors before I put the second set of pads on. I’m out of ideas, I’ve never had pads get lines worn in them before.
what pads are you using?
If you still have the original rotors you could refit them with new pads...............if that works OK its not a Code issue........it has something to do with the new rotors or the pads.
The original comments you made a bout metal to metal noise and grooves in the pads does sound like either the pad breaking down or it picking up material..presumably from the rotor....and consolidating into a solid, much like a bit of gravel getting embedded in the pad.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
what pads are you using?
If you still have the original rotors you could refit them with new pads...............if that works OK its not a Code issue........it has something to do with the new rotors or the pads.
The original comments you made a bout metal to metal noise and grooves in the pads does sound like either the pad breaking down or it picking up material..presumably from the rotor....and consolidating into a solid, much like a bit of gravel getting embedded in the pad.
The first 2 times it was SRAM sintered pads then I tried the SRAM power pads when I installed the new HS2 rotors. I also cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner before putting them on. I was told to torque the rotor bolts a little more than what’s recommended so I’m planning to try that tomorrow. I don’t have the original rotors anymore or I’d throw them back on.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.............worth a try! There is some slack in the rotor bolts as well so you need to rotate and hold the rotor anticlockwise once the bolts are are in and before you torque them. I use blue loctite on rotor bolts.

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
Depending on the brand of fork and rotor size. You may want to check that you don’t have the spacer for the calipers mounted in reverse. or the wrong size spacer. Basically, it’ll cause the caliper to sit in a higher position, which means the pads are actually only contacting half the rotor. Thus causing a groove and loud noises.

Oldmtber

Oct 9, 2019
Worcester
I’ve had almost exactly the same problem with my front Code rsc brake on my Levo. Noisy plus the pads seem to glaze very quickly.
I too swapped out the original Sram rotors for the thicker version and all ok for a while but the same problem quickly returned. I’m starting to think there’s a problem with the Fox fork post mounts.
The rear brake has been absolutely fine.
This is the first set of Sram brakes I’ve ever had and the only set with problems.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’ve had almost exactly the same problem with my front Code rsc brake on my Levo. Noisy plus the pads seem to glaze very quickly.
I too swapped out the original Sram rotors for the thicker version and all ok for a while but the same problem quickly returned. I’m starting to think there’s a problem with the Fox fork post mounts.
The rear brake has been absolutely fine.
This is the first set of Sram brakes I’ve ever had and the only set with problems.
I haven’t had time to mess with it lately, been super busy but I’ll check the spacing for sure. This is my first set of SRAM brakes too, I prefer Maugura. If I can’t get this issue fixed then these codes will be getting binned.

Last edited:

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Whilst I don’t have a solution, I have the same set up (RSC, HS2) on my Whyte/RS Lyric with no issues. Also self installed. Levo/Fox issue maybe given others with the same problem?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles