Other SRAM cable problem

Leozak

Mar 8, 2018
Manchester
I have a Trek Domane + road bike. I changed the internal cassette cable for SRAM Force -[ inner and outer] the cable was installed correctly however it wouldnt work - when pressing the gear lever you cannot change up or down the gears !
Eventhough a experienced bike mechanic could not get it work - has anyone had this problem and solution ?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Well either the barrel on the cable is not longer in the slot in the lever, or the housing is pinched inside the frame, or the screw anchoring the cable at the rear mech is loose. I would start at the rear and work forward.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I think I've got drag on my Rail's shifter cable, after a shift there's often chain/gear noise that goes away if I stretch the cable (press the shifter a bit). I'm assuming that's what it is though before checking for pinches (pulling motor) or just swapping the cable housing, I was planning on getting some housing and cable and testing it externally installed to rule out everything else.

Leozak

Mar 8, 2018
Manchester
It looks like due to wear the hole that traps the cable at the lever end has worn through and made a channel therefore the cable was jumping out of the housing and stopping the cable from working !
You normally have to replace all the lever mech unless I can source a small part that the cable sits in ?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
This wear occurred on a relatively new bike? Something was wrong. I have gone ten years on a set of shifter cables before. My EXe dropper post cable came from the dealer or Trek completely butchered. There was no barrel on the cable and the ferrule on the housing was missing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles