Spring has sprung and my tyre also sprung a leak...

notaninfluencer

Author
Mar 18, 2019
Italy
So have been riding a bit.... (a lot) its 20 degrees... but after this trail today I split a double down maxxis dhr II how do others find them selves getting on with this tyre? pinch flats galore?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Pinchflatting is caused when the tyre takes a hard enough hit that it bottoms on the rim and the tyre or tube (or both) splits. The simplest way to stop pinchflats from happening is to run higher more supportive pressures.
DD is Maxxis mid casing. a halfway point between Exo and DH casing.
How low a pressure you can run a tyre for any specific casing depends massively on rider weight, how and where you ride and what pressures you're running.
I'd either reconsider your pressures and riding style or switch to DH casings. or if you want the ultimate security from pinchflatting DH casings and inserts.
Personally I don't pinchflat Exo DHRIIs. But I don't run low pressures.

Ps. I've forgotten what 20deg even feels like

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ps. I've forgotten what 20deg even feels like
If you ride in an area that requires different tire pressures carry a small pump and gauge. Not only your weight, the weight of an eMTB, terrain, temperatures, speed and style, can become factors that determine tire pressures.
There are more eMTB specific tires that have different compounds and stronger sidewalls available. They’re probably heavier too.
Ps. 20deg is a myth …isn’t it?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you ride in an area that requires different tire pressures carry a small pump and gauge.
FK dat... run em hard enough for what you're likely to encounter during the entire ride and accept the loss of grip in certain conditions.
Not only your weight, the weight of an eMTB, terrain, temperatures, speed and style, can become factors that determine tire pressures.
No shiz? We're on an EMTB forum... The rest I already said
There are more eMTB specific tires that have different compounds and stronger sidewalls available.
The question was about DHRIIs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles