• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

SpeedBox 3.0 B.Tuning for Brose

tubylas

Jun 25, 2022
Poland
HI
Anyone tried this one and can give any thoughts about it please?
Thanks

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
HI
Anyone tried this one and can give any thoughts about it please?
Thanks
Hiya, it works the same as the peartune 2.2 as far as I am aware. I have the peartune and it's worked faultless, super easy to install.

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
Today Speedbox 3.0 b. for Brose arrived for my 2022 Levo. I downloaded the speedbox app. I installed it and tested the speed limit of 22mph. It failed to limit assistance above the set speed limit of 22mph for my test. Speed warning was off. The speedbox when turned on shows 22.0 which is the speed I have set for my test. When it is turned off it shows 15.5 which is the UK speed limit. I tried restarting the speedbox app and bike with same result. Why is the speedbox not restricting power assistance above the set speed limit? Will let you know when I find out!

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Today Speedbox 3.0 b. for Brose arrived for my 2022 Levo. I downloaded the speedbox app. I installed it and tested the speed limit of 22mph. It failed to limit assistance above the set speed limit of 22mph for my test. Speed warning was off. The speedbox when turned on shows 22.0 which is the speed I have set for my test. When it is turned off it shows 15.5 which is the UK speed limit. I tried restarting the speedbox app and bike with same result. Why is the speedbox not restricting power assistance above the set speed limit? Will let you know when I find out!
On my peartune I can choose to turn limiter on or off by using the push assist button once for on or again for off.

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
I did another couple rides with the speed limit set to 12mph, 22mph, 25mph with the app. None of the set speeds cut off the motor assist. I don’t know if it’s an EU/UK vs. US difference in the bikes firmware but it does not restrict the speed on my 2022 Levo. I feel very confident that I am setting the speed limit right. I am going to keep the SpeedBox installed as it does almost everything I wanted.

@tubylas Speed, distance were all displayed correctly on the TCU display and in the Mission Control app. Stop the Mission Control app from sharing your information with specialized. Set Location services for Mission Control to Never. If you need to service the bike or update the firmware. First remove the speedbox as recommended, reset the TCU. TCU holds alot of data. This should work to limit the app from sharing your data. I hope I answered your question. Maybe your UK Specialized bike firmware may accept the speed limit setting. Other than the speed limit it does everything else as advertised.

Last edited:

Acee

Mar 28, 2023
Farnham, UK
@IOUZIP ..."Stop the Mission Control app from sharing your information with specialized. Set Location services for Mission Control to Never."

Will this not stop Mission Control from mapping your ride? It would be a shame to lose that functionality (I appreciate Komoot etc. could do this, though)

Last edited:

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
@IOUZIP how did you stop the Mission Control app from sharing your information with Specialized ? I'm looking for the parameter on my iPhone but I don't find the setting...
Thanks

Acee

Mar 28, 2023
Farnham, UK
@IOUZIP how did you stop the Mission Control app from sharing your information with Specialized ? I'm looking for the parameter on my iPhone but I don't find the setting...
Thanks
I'm guessing it's the permission setting in your phone, not in the Specialized app. The app needs your phone to tell it your location - deny it permission. On my phone (Android), I also couldn't find anvwhere to stop it sharing it's logs with Specialized. Maybe it's only when the bike shop plugs the TCU into their laptop?

Last edited:

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
i don’t use the Mission Control app for recording rides.

1680891283535.png

Last edited:

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
I wanted to share my experience with SpeedBox 3.0 B. and the service. SpeedBox support kept trying to answer all my questions so for that they get 5 stars. The reseller ebiketuner also worked with me on getting the issues resolved so for that 5 stars. I am very happy with the service.

The speedBox 3.0 B. install on the Levo was exactly as their YouTube install video shows. I do want to comment that the speed limiter setting did not work as advertised on my 2022 Levo. Maybe others have got it to work? Let me know! Also the SpeedBox two wire speed limit plug (round) did not fit tightly in the motor connector. I ended up buying a Specialized replacement speed sensor and used the red o-ring which is thicker and keeps the plug snug in the motor connector now. Added a coat of dielectric grease to the plugs. Finished off the install with a couple zip ties to secure the electronics.

1680898853019.png

1680897659255.png

1680898065237.png

1680899049361.png

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
I wanted to share my experience with SpeedBox 3.0 B. and the service. SpeedBox support kept trying to answer all my questions so for that they get 5 stars. The reseller ebiketuner also worked with me on getting the issues resolved so for that 5 stars. I am very happy with the service.

The speedBox 3.0 B. install on the Levo was exactly as their YouTube install video shows. I do want to comment that the speed limiter setting did not work as advertised on my 2022 Levo. Maybe others have got it to work? Let me know! Also the SpeedBox two wire speed limit plug (round) did not fit tightly in the motor connector. I ended up buying a Specialized replacement speed sensor and used the red o-ring which is thicker and keeps the plug snug in the motor connector now. Added a coat of dielectric grease to the plugs. Finished off the install with a couple zip ties to secure the electronics.

View attachment 111133
View attachment 111131

View attachment 111132
View attachment 111134
Thanks for the feedback. As new product launches go the Sb3 B.tuning has been very positive, lots of happy riders

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles