Kenevo Gen1 SPECIALIZED, More batteries damages due manufacturing defects

jlcortex

Feb 1, 2020
Valencia Spain
It seems a lot of people with the same problem, batteries wet because a factory sealing problem.

My batery do red flashes with 3 lights and beeps:

I have opened the battery and there are droplets inside. The cells were low but I have charged them by connecting a charger inside, they are charged and balanced, all the cells are perfect. But the battery still has the same problem.

From what I have read there is simply no solution, buy a new battery! It is true, the battery is perfect! There doesn't seem to be anything damaged inside, just some rust on the leds but that doesn't seem to affect operation

If you know anything else, I appreciate answers.

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
How low were the cells? What is the LED on the pcb next to the renesas R5F2134 doing? Will pack turn on from the on button?

IMG_5454.jpg

jlcortex

Feb 1, 2020
Valencia Spain
How low were the cells? What is the LED on the pcb next to the renesas R5F2134 doing? Will pack turn on from the on button

Very low but perfectly balanced, they were all at 1.73V. I slowly charged them with a charger from a scooter, and they reached 42V or so,
Then the BMS lowered them to 41V, the balancer was hot for a few hours and and now it is at 4.10V per cell

The led next to the renesas stays off when the battery is at rest, if you turn it on then that internal led starts blinking, and it stays blinking for a long time even if you turn off the battery.

the battery turns on and gives the error message of the three leds blinking and the beeps there is no voltage at the output, if you install it on the bike nothing works.

Reading everything I've seen on the forums about this problem it seems that there is some hope of recovering it:

microballoons said it in another thread of this forum:
"the only way to restore the battery is to take it to a service center where with their interface (which you can buy on the net) and the turbo connect software they update the firmware and everything goes back to normal. I repeat no problem with the cells but only a matter of firmware."

the tool
Turbo S Diagnosis Tool | Specialized.com

will this be true?

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
regardless of what the BMS is doing, the cells are destroyed. Even brief periods spent below 2v per cell is dangerous. The anode copper current collector is dissolved into the electrolyte. This increases the self discharge rate of the cell however, as the voltage is increased again above 2 volts, the copper ions which are dispersed throughout the electrolyte are precipitated as metallic copper wherever they happen to be, not necessarily back on the current collector foil. This is a dangerous situation which can ultimately cause a short circuit between the electrodes. A short circuit will result in a fire.

Do not store the battery inside, it's a fire risk. No amount of messing about with the BMS can save these cells.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles