Kenevo Gen1 Specialized 2021 Kenevo Comp Shock changed from Coil to Air by Spesh?!!

The Syndrome

Oct 18, 2020
Cardiff
Visited my Spesh dealer yesterday and spotted a 2021 Kenevo Comp with a Fox DPX2 Performance Level as opposed to the coil Marzocci Bomber CR. Checked the specs on-line on Specialized web site, the write up confirms the bomber CR however the tech-specs state DPX2! How confusing is that? I am waiting for delivery of my 2021 Kenevo and kinda want the coil shock that I ordered the bike with but it looks like Spesh have decided to replace it with an Air shock be it slightly more expensive than the CR. Any one have news on this?

I took delivery of my Kenevo S5 today and it does have a Fox DPX2 Performance Level. After researching, it seems that many Kenevo owners were blowing the Bomber CR. I am a fat bastard weighing around 100 KG. The DPX2 has about 280 PSI but still got loads of sag so should I consider spacers? Coil shock? or go on a diet! I am 6ft 2 btw! :--)

Last edited:

Maverick68

Dec 11, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Hi
I’m in the same dilemma, mine arrived yesterday with a dpx2 and can’t decide what to do about it as it was not what was spec’d and I really fancied a coil for a change. Anyone out there can offer some advice (maybe convince me the dpx2 is better than the bomber CR)

The Syndrome

Oct 18, 2020
Cardiff
Hi
I’m in the same dilemma, mine arrived yesterday with a dpx2 and can’t decide what to do about it as it was not what was spec’d and I really fancied a coil for a change. Anyone out there can offer some advice (maybe convince me the dpx2 is better than the bomber CR)

As you probably already know, Fox bought Marzocchi. I called fox the other week and they confirmed that Bomber CR had issues with the lateral movement of the frame design that was causing the shock to leak. The DPX2 is a more expensive shock than the Bomber CR. I Have to be honest, I am disappointed with Specialized, especially as they have raised the price of the Kenevo Comp from 5500 to 5800. The DPX2 Performance Level is the base model of that shock, they could have put a Factory on it like most of their competition do for bikes around that price, or even a DHX2, I feel that they have deffo cheaped out with regards to components. Have a look at the YT Decoy, the Comencal Meta and the Propain. All have better components for the money although I appreciate that they might not have the dealer network support that Spesh offer as they use the direct to customer business model.

Also note that previous models of the Kenevo had Oelins as standard! I believe that the DPX2 is a better shock than the Bomber CR but it is not the coil spec that I ordered, and yes I am pissed about that, the blurb on the website is misleading stating that it has a coil shock yet the specs below state otherwise.

I contacted Fox to discuss DPX2 settings as you can buy a volume spacer kit for around £25, the DPX2 has a custom tune code on the body that you pass on to Fox, and they can tell you how your shock is set up, for the S5 the factory spacer is at max so no further adjustment possible with volume spacers so don't rush out to buy them before contacting Fox! The shock will take a maximum 350 psi. My shock pump maxes out at 300 Psi I had to buy a new shock pump that supports 350 (Lezyne Shock Drive - £35 on amazon), there are not so many about. I have put 320psi in mine and it seems to be ok. I also put the flip chip to the high settings as I was getting lots of pedal strikes. On the plus side, I did BPW yesterday, and the bike was great!

Other things that peed me off about Spesh cheapness:-

The tyres come "Tubeless Ready". I assumed (obviously wrongly) that the wheels were rim taped at the factory, this is not the case. So after prepping the 2 wheels for tubeless use I had nothing but tyre spunk all over my bike on after the first ride and had to fit inner tubes (luckily there was a bike shop near by) but super messy job, it looked like I had been at some weird bukakke party! :). , I then had to strip, clean and re-setup with fresh rim tape etc.

The Expert comes with a chain tool device that fits in the stem (TCCT). The comp apparently does not however, the Spesh Delivery pack comes with full instructions on how to fit it! Is that Spesh saying "you should have bought the Expert you cheapskate"?

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Is't correct FOX took over off Marcc
As you probably already know, Fox bought Marzocchi. I called fox the other week and they confirmed that Bomber CR had issues with the lateral movement of the frame design that was causing the shock to leak. The DPX2 is a more expensive shock than the Bomber CR. I Have to be honest, I am disappointed with Specialized, especially as they have raised the price of the Kenevo Comp from 5500 to 5800. The DPX2 Performance Level is the base model of that shock, they could have put a Factory on it like most of their competition do for bikes around that price, or even a DHX2, I feel that they have deffo cheaped out with regards to components. Have a look at the YT Decoy, the Comencal Meta and the Propain. All have better components for the money although I appreciate that they might not have the dealer network support that Spesh offer as they use the direct to customer business model.

Also note that previous models of the Kenevo had Oelins as standard! I believe that the DPX2 is a better shock than the Bomber CR but it is not the coil spec that I ordered, and yes I am pissed about that, the blurb on the website is misleading stating that it has a coil shock yet the specs below state otherwise.

I contacted Fox to discuss DPX2 settings as you can buy a volume spacer kit for around £25, the DPX2 has a custom tune code on the body that you pass on to Fox, and they can tell you how your shock is set up, for the S5 the factory spacer is at max so no further adjustment possible with volume spacers so don't rush out to buy them before contacting Fox! The shock will take a maximum 350 psi. My shock pump maxes out at 300 Psi I had to buy a new shock pump that supports 350 (Lezyne Shock Drive - £35 on amazon), there are not so many about. I have put 320psi in mine and it seems to be ok. I also put the flip chip to the high settings as I was getting lots of pedal strikes. On the plus side, I did BPW yesterday, and the bike was great!

Other things that peed me off about Spesh cheapness:-

The tyres come "Tubeless Ready". I assumed (obviously wrongly) that the wheels were rim taped at the factory, this is not the case. So after prepping the 2 wheels for tubeless use I had nothing but tyre spunk all over my bike on after the first ride and had to fit inner tubes (luckily there was a bike shop near by) but super messy job, it looked like I had been at some weird bukakke party! :). , I then had to strip, clean and re-setup with fresh rim tape etc.

The Expert comes with a chain tool device that fits in the stem (TCCT). The comp apparently does not however, the Spesh Delivery pack comes with full instructions on how to fit it! Is that Spesh saying "you should have bought the Expert you cheapskate"?

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
My Marzocchi Bomber CR leaked during summer (fist locked down here in Switzerland) my LBD send it back afther 1,5 Month i received it back, got mounted. After one week same issue, my bike dealer had to send back again. It's now 4 months with a third on and it works but lost trust.

Sdh2020

Dec 16, 2020
Uk
I received my kenevo expert with a rock shock super delux air shock fitted. I am disappointed as well. Only adjustable for rebound. Apparently this is a better shock but I’m not sure at all. I feel for the price of the bike it should have come with a higher Spec shock.

Maverick68

Dec 11, 2020
Sheffield, UK
I received my kenevo expert with a rock shock super delux air shock fitted. I am disappointed as well. Only adjustable for rebound. Apparently this is a better shock but I’m not sure at all. I feel for the price of the bike it should have come with a higher Spec shock.
That is disappointing, have you contacted Specialized or the dealer and what have they offered as an explanation?

Sdh2020

Dec 16, 2020
Uk
That is disappointing, have you contacted Specialized or the dealer and what have they offered as an explanation?
The dealer said it was because of problems with the coil shock that spesh had put it down to frames cracking and problems with the coil shock! The rockshox one is shit! I come from a motox, trails and enduro background. One guy in the dealership said sag is not important on an ebike! Oh really I agree to disagree but that’s his opinion! I spent a load of wedge on a fox factory which is great, now I have fried my motor! Not even done 15 miles on it. Not a happy bunny!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles