Specialized (2019) Kenevo Battery Issues

Stevegray77

Nov 5, 2021
Nottingham
Hello all,

I bought a Kenevo Specialized 2019 e-bike at the start of Nov and have had 5-6 great rides on it since, however this has come to an abrupt halt, due to the battery.

The symptoms are that the battery controller, which i would use to take me from trail to eco etc normally has a 'beep' to acknowledge the change, but that has now stopped and i have no control whatsoever, I think it just stays on eco, the controller is just dead. Plus the LED display has gone a bit zany, not displaying full battery when there is full power etc and shows so on the app etc.

I have taken it to Rutland Cycles in Nottingham, who are an official Specialized dealer and they are going to run a diagnostic check on it, but they suspect water ingress. I didn't actually buy it there and bought it from a different, very reputable dealer 2nd hand, but have had it confirmed that the warranty has run out.

Obviously this is making me very nervous because I have seen how much new batteries are and if this one is fried and i have no warranty, i am basically stuck with a very heavy mono bike. I cant afford a new battery.

Reading this forum, this seems to be a very common issue, with suggestions not to ride in the wet - which seems absurd as I live in the UK!

So does anyone have idea of my rights or would I be basically stuffed? The original shop have been very helpful and they said they wont leave me in the lurch and they are recommend by many posts on this forum, so that's good, but I cant help but be worried.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Steve

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
If the original shop will help then wait for what they say.
There maybe companies who can rebuild the batteries.
To be honest one of the reasons I got rid of my gen1 bike was the battery. Expensive, susceptible to water ingress & rarely available secondhand, where as a 500w gen2 are readily advertised for £400 or so.

Stevegray77

Nov 5, 2021
Nottingham
If the original shop will help then wait for what they say.
There maybe companies who can rebuild the batteries.
To be honest one of the reasons I got rid of my gen1 bike was the battery. Expensive, susceptible to water ingress & rarely available secondhand, where as a 500w gen2 are readily advertised for £400 or so.

Hey mate - thanks for the response. Yep, I'll have to wait and see what the various shops say.

So would a 500w gen 2 battery fit in the same slot as the old Gen 1? Sorry for the terminology, I'm a bit new to e-bikes.

Cheers

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Hey mate - thanks for the response. Yep, I'll have to wait and see what the various shops say.

So would a 500w gen 2 battery fit in the same slot as the old Gen 1? Sorry for the terminology, I'm a bit new to e-bikes.

Cheers
Afraid not, the gen 2 is all totally different motor & battery.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There was a recall on some of these batteries, though there's a good chance the first dealer will have checked and swapped if necessary :

There was a similar thread recently, I don't think it will answer your specific problem, but as you're new to this it should help expand some of your knowledge of what you're dealing with and how things work.

Specialized offer what's called "assisted purchase" for the first few years outside of warranty, so it might be that the first shop will be able to apply that with regard to a new battery - if the battery is shot. It wouldn't mean a free battery, but it would be cheaper than just buying one at RRP.

Stevegray77

Nov 5, 2021
Nottingham
There was a recall on some of these batteries, though there's a good chance the first dealer will have checked and swapped if necessary :

There was a similar thread recently, I don't think it will answer your specific problem, but as you're new to this it should help expand some of your knowledge of what you're dealing with and how things work.

Specialized offer what's called "assisted purchase" for the first few years outside of warranty, so it might be that the first shop will be able to apply that with regard to a new battery - if the battery is shot. It wouldn't mean a free battery, but it would be cheaper than just buying one at RRP.

Hi Mate - yeah I read about the faulty batteries so I had a look at my PIN number, compared it against the list and its not one that needs to go back thankfully.

The Specialized guys did mention 'assisted purchase' - so ill keep that in mind with whoever I speak to as I go through the motions.

I also saw about 'Range-extender' batteries - would this be an option to purchase in a 'worse case' scenario? Do they work independently from the main battery or as I suspect only extend the range of an existing healthy battery?

Cheers!

Stevegray77

Nov 5, 2021
Nottingham
Hello again folks, thanks for all the comments...

Bit of an update, the Specialized shop have called and apparently the battery is now working fine. All the settings work, the settings controller beeps when it should and after they ran a diagnostic etc it now says its 99% efficient as opposed to 90% - so that's a result! They reckon it might have just needed a while to dry out etc

When having a dig around though, they noticed a few issues with my motor, so they are going to have a go and get a new one under warranty (even this window has passed) or at least assisted purchase.

Would anyone know how much a motor would be? Roughly? Is it in the same ball park as the battery?

Cheers!

Steve

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
Berkshire Turbo says the RRP of a motor is £780. You might want to give the Bearing man a call about a motor refurbishment roughly half the price and will have several upgrades over stock unit, but no warranty obviously.

5A9A73AB-6450-4CAD-8F99-3A54A105492F.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles