Spank hub transformed my bike!

Shane228mtb

Jul 18, 2020
Martinsville, VA
I just wanted to brag on the new Spank Hex Drive Hubs. I replaced the junk Formula rear hub that came on my Commencal Meta Power 29. The transformation was immediately noticeable! The motor engagement was quicker and the MUCH higher quicker response at the pedals made my ride way more enjoyable. Best $199.00 I have spent on a bike yet. If you are looking for an awesome rear hub this is one worth checking out. Anyway just thought I would share.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
It might be enjoyable, but it might not last that long on emtb as it is complete alloy body, emtbs chew up these pretty quickly ...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nope.
Spank saw fit to putting a steel "bite bar"on the widest spline of the alloy HG freehub body to reduce the impact of HG cassette sprockets cutting into the softer alloy splines.

time will tell on reliability/durability - As with any new product

Shane228mtb

Jul 18, 2020
Martinsville, VA
Yep, I did my research before I made my purchase. They are rated for Emtb's. Plus right this minute I am running the XD driver. I am not an overly aggressive rider so it may last for a while. Regardless, it is worlds better than the Formula hub that came on the bike. I have read and heard nothing but bad reviews on those and I hated the gosh awfully low engagement as well.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not all Formula hubs are equal. Although not quite as quick engagement as the Spank hub you've bought, Formula have done decent 78t engagement hubs for a while.
You're probably unlikely to find them on anything but higher end full builds though.
Commencal like many manufacturers probably source their hubs from various hub manufacturers and these are not always to the same spec as the retail hubs that manufacturer sells to the public.

Shane228mtb

Jul 18, 2020
Martinsville, VA
Yeah, mine was definitely the low end version. I didn't have the funds for an Onyx or I9 like I really wanted. This Spank will do the trick for me and my riding style. Plus it matched up nicely to the Spank rim that came on my bike. I left the Formula hub on the front wheel alone.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, front hubs are really simple so pretty hard to design poorly.
some manufacturers still somehow do manage it though ;)

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yep, I did my research before I made my purchase. They are rated for Emtb's. Plus right this minute I am running the XD driver. I am not an overly aggressive rider so it may last for a while. Regardless, it is worlds better than the Formula hub that came on the bike. I have read and heard nothing but bad reviews on those and I hated the gosh awfully low engagement as well.
Can you post a link which one is emtb rated?

Shane228mtb

Jul 18, 2020
Martinsville, VA
I just went to Spank Industries website. You look on the left side of the page for their hubs and pick the type of bike the hub is for. Then the search sort of narrows down. The Hex Drive hub has steel "Bite Block" that helps prevent the cassette from eating the guides/grooves on the driver. I also watched several videos of riders that have styles that are super aggressive and how the hub has held up under some pretty extreme riding. I know it probably isn't the toughest hub out there but it is way stronger than the one that came on my bike stock. Www.spank-ind.com. Also check out a video from The Lost Co. on YouTube that he did on the hub.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles