SP Connect 12V Hard Wire Cable connected to bosch aux power?

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Will this enable me to add a general porpoise usb charging port to my bike?
I was thinking of connecting it to the aux power port, rather than te lighting port. Will the battery still cut off at 10% like the lighting port?
I am not so up on all this voltage n amps etc stuff, will this fritz my devices?

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
It looks like it needs minimum 1,5A at 12v.
Iirc the Bosch acc port doesn't deliver that, but the frontlight port does.
Look in the manual and specifications of both Bosch and the converter cable to be sure !

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Thanks for the reply. I have read that using the lighting port turns off the motor at 10% battery, which sounds like a pain the ass.
I don't get why bike motor manufacturers don't give us usb. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Hi @Swiss Roll,

You can read my exploits here: Running lights from Bosch gen 4 power port... - EMTB Forums

I was trying to avoid the 10% power cut off when running lights.

Unfortunately the Bosch Aux Port has a max output of 1amp, the Front Light port is 1.5amp… The charger you linked pulls 2amps at 5v so it won’t work hardwired to the motor.

I can only assume Bosch limit the amps of these outputs to avoid people charging their phones etc and reducing their bikes range…

Induction charging is not very efficient and I would prefer a cabled charge to reduce parasitic losses with an Ebike.

The 10% battery cut is frustrating as it is enabled whether you are using the light or not… I know why they do it but I don’t have to agree with it!

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I can only assume Bosch limit the amps of these outputs to avoid people charging their phones etc and reducing their bikes range
The real reason is cost and durability.
Especially on DC, an 10A convertor instead of the actual 3A is something else. Then you have the connectors, wires,...

I understand they limit it, but that 10% cut is ridiculous.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Hi @Swiss Roll,

You can read my exploits here: Running lights from Bosch gen 4 power port... - EMTB Forums

I was trying to avoid the 10% power cut off when running lights.

Unfortunately the Bosch Aux Port has a max output of 1amp, the Front Light port is 1.5amp… The charger you linked pulls 2amps at 5v so it won’t work hardwired to the motor.

I can only assume Bosch limit the amps of these outputs to avoid people charging their phones etc and reducing their bikes range…

Induction charging is not very efficient and I would prefer a cabled charge to reduce parasitic losses with an Ebike.

The 10% battery cut is frustrating as it is enabled whether you are using the light or not… I know why they do it but I don’t have to agree with it!
Well, my plan was to just install the cable, to give me a general purpose usb port to charge phone, camera, etc, not the induction charger bit.
I seem to recall that it says on the bosch website that the aux port is to run nav equipment etc. If it can't even charge a phone, wtf is it for?

I wanted to install lights on my current bosch bike, i did it on my shimano steps 6000 bike, was a bit of a pain, what with doing a firmware upgrade at the shop which I had to pay for. but bosch make it so inconvenient to do anything. Now I have a rechargeable set of lights on my bike, it feels like being back in the days where the only light available in the UK was the Ever Ready battery eater light.

edit: I was hoping that getting a nyon 2 would enable me to charge stuff, but no. The intuvia can (slowly at 0.5A) charge a phone with the right cable, I believe. How come that works?
this website seems to have all the facts, but it's in german:

Last edited:

lindbeckb

Feb 2, 2022
Aberdeen
if both will work on varous voltages have you tried running the lighs in series?
360_F_123396281_2thgkhd1VrjLwHw5CnARmrC5CxSRndpg.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles