So, you own an older model 160/120E, are you feeling compelled to change?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I'm quite vein & I'm happy to admit it, but I really like the look of the new E140 compared to my 'old' 120 900E, but the spec is frankly shit in comparison & its twice the money I paid for my bike (£3300).
So how do I/can I justify a new bike at twice the price for a lesser bike? Already thought of swapping all the components over so I can sell the old bike easier, but to be honest the E120 just works for me, I guess I have to get over the look of it.
Anyone else thinking the same?

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Nope. I'm not tempted in the slightest by the new models. The only real difference is the internal battery and I couldn't give a monkeys about that.
Like you said, the price for spec has gone through the roof and why? To shave not even a kilo (not sure on exact weight 900E Vs 2020 160 10K) off the weight and a slightly slacker head angle for a £4000 premium?! No thanks. I could buy another bike for that and have change for a spare battery.

If it's vanity you're after, save the cash and get your ride custom wrapped/sprayed and chuck on some choice components...
If I was spending £4k on my bike:
Trickstuff Maxima brakes
Enve carbon rims on Chris King Hubs

Nothing says bling better than CK hubs.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
The 29 front and 27 rear makes it handle really good, the problem you are facing is the previous model was such good value nothing is going to match it at that price point.

I am pretty sure it was their most awarded bike.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Zero temptation here. My e160-900 (non di2) is a way better bike than the fat guy riding it. I'm scratching the itch by adding a lower power bike. I have an e-Zesty on order. But the 900 stays and will still be my main bike. I planned to upgrade after two years which is approaching and I have yet to see a full fat bike that makes me want to switch. The trend to 29ers helps as I prefer 27.5. Less temptation.

Without being silly I have my bike at 22.6kg which is lighter than the new e160-10K. I have a spare battery. I think I would probably upgrade the fork to 180mm and put in an angled headset, rather than a new bike. But for now I don't ride anything that my 160mm Lyrik can't handle.

I actually love the way my bike looks. And it's sweet in red. I don't mind the external battery, especially as a bigger one can be had now for all day epics, if needed.

The only change I wish for would be that the motor was quieter. And I need to change the awful saddle. Everything else I've already done and the bike fits like a glove.

Gordon

RAZOR

Feb 19, 2019
Auckland, NZ
I've been checking out the new batteries and seeing what would fit my current e120 800(e) but can't see me upgrading until I have seen an EP8 and 625wh internal battery E140.
Even after all that i'm still not sure if I need a bigger battery or whether the EP8 is going to make a difference for me.
I would love to know if the new 140/160s have the room to fit the 625 internal battery - I would think Merida would of had a heads up from Shimano and made sure their frame would be ready for an upgraded battery - might mean getting a 2020 bike on sale and fitting the bigger battery could be an option too.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I'm quite vein & I'm happy to admit it, but I really like the look of the new E140 compared to my 'old' 120 900E, but the spec is frankly shit in comparison & its twice the money I paid for my bike (£3300).
So how do I/can I justify a new bike at twice the price for a lesser bike? Already thought of swapping all the components over so I can sell the old bike easier, but to be honest the E120 just works for me, I guess I have to get over the look of it.
Anyone else thinking the same?
Feeling exactly the same! Only issue for me with the e120 900e is the weight which is why I've been looking at the levo SL (comp carbon), again its a shame the spec on the SL is not as good as the 900e

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Feeling exactly the same! Only issue for me with the e120 900e is the weight which is why I've been looking at the levo SL (comp carbon), again its a shame the spec on the SL is not as good as the 900e
But a lighter set of wheels & tyres would see it under 20kg, the only time I notice the weight of mine is when I have to lift it over a gate, it doesn't feel heavy to ride.
Cheers.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
The e120 900e is 22.4kg stock, it would not be possible to get that below 20kg without spending a significant amount of money, if at all.

The SL is quite different to ride and nowhere near as powerful as a full ebike, but it still a really good bike and great to ride. The components it comes with are very underwhelming for the price.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
The e120 900e is 22.4kg stock, it would not be possible to get that below 20kg without spending a significant amount of money, if at all.

The SL is quite different to ride and nowhere near as powerful as a full ebike, but it still a really good bike and great to ride. The components it comes with are very underwhelming for the price.
Agreed, mine currently sits at 21.6kg with summer lightish tyres and 20kg is not worth the outlay.
The SL on the other hand can be easily 4kg lighter than mine with not much effort.

The spec is indeed underwhelming, for me it's all about The frame package as it can be built up as funds allow. I cant afford the sworks but I can the CC and then upgrade as and when.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I bought the comp carbon, and have replaced the brakes rear mech and seatpost. It’s a really good bike to ride and pedals easy with the motor off or past support, it really is like a normal mountain bike with e support.

and a couple of days ago put carbon wheels on it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles