So, just bought a sam2. Any thing I should look out for?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Check all your bolts for correct torque. Some you may also want to check for the presence of Loctite threadlock (blue). Why?

On my Jam2, twice the rear hub axle came loose. It was only when I cleaned it all up and used threadlock that the problem stopped. I wish now that I had checked all the other bolts.
The lower shock mounting bolt came loose and sheared. I spotted it before the shock came loose and ruined the carbon frame. The LBS technician said that neither of the the upper and lower mounting bolts had threadlock. They do now!
A few weeks later, one of the bolts on the motor came loose and gouged the front ring spider so badly that the bike was unsafe. Again, no sign of threadlock, but it does now!

Does this mean that every single bolt should be undone, cleaned up and threadlock used? Probably!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from that, the bike is fantastic!!!!!!!

I grin every single time I go out on the bike, there is no way that I will be going back to clockwork bikes!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Oh and another thing.....

Which charger do you have? The 4Amp one or the newer 4.5Amp version?

Trick question. The newer 4.5Amp ones have a random fault that means they don't charge when the battery and/or the charger is below 11degC and the level of battery charge is low (there is a thread on this).
Solutions:
1. Wait until the problem hits you, then spend weeks pursuing a warranty claim. Be without your bike for two weeks (at least) while Focus issue a new battery. Then have random problems caused by the fitting of the new battery (squashed cables).
2. Keep the 4.5Amp charger and don't charge below 11degC or when the battery is low.
3. Get a 4Amp charger and charge whenever you like, any temp, any charge.

Edit: I wasn't grinning during this period, I assure you! :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here is a pic of a broken one. My metallurgist mate said that it looks like a brittle fracture. Followed by a pic of two new ones (@5.99 each!!!) Rutland Cycling gave me two free of charge. :)
Shock Bolt.jpg

Shock mounting bolts.jpg

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Oh and another thing.....

Which charger do you have? The 4Amp one or the newer 4.5Amp version?

Trick question. The newer 4.5Amp ones have a random fault that means they don't charge when the battery and/or the charger is below 11degC and the level of battery charge is low (there is a thread on this).
Solutions:
1. Wait until the problem hits you, then spend weeks pursuing a warranty claim. Be without your bike for two weeks (at least) while Focus issue a new battery. Then have random problems caused by the fitting of the new battery (squashed cables).
2. Keep the 4.5Amp charger and don't charge below 11degC or when the battery is low.
3. Get a 4Amp charger and charge whenever you like, any temp, any charge.

Edit: I wasn't grinning during this period, I assure you! :(
I just got a brand new 4 amp charger last week. My internal battery has been charging with my 4.5 amp battery charger but it does not shut off. It blinks from green to red when the battery is fully charged but doesn't seem to be damaging anything. The shop I bought the bike from sent me a brand new 4 amp battery charger and it won't charge my Tec pack and it won't charge the internal battery at all and that is at 75 degrees Fahrenheit. This charging issue is crazy.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
@cabbynate Sorry, I'm right out of ideas on that one! :unsure:
@MattyB is the resident expert on batteries and charging.
Maybe this mention will smoke him out! :)
Unfortunately for me the closest is 375 miles away. The shop I bought the bike from is working on a warranty battery from Focus. The bike works great and all so I'm not upset about it. as long as I get it fixed before warranty runs out I'm good :) What is strange is the 4A charger wouldn't charge my tec pack that charges fine with my old Focus 4.5A charger:unsure:

JEROMEREIG

Jan 13, 2020
Alicante SPAIN
Here is a pic of a broken one. My metallurgist mate said that it looks like a brittle fracture. Followed by a pic of two new ones (@5.99 each!!!) Rutland Cycling gave me two free of charge. :)
View attachment 19065

View attachment 19066
Hi, it could be possible to have accurate sizes of this bolt to try to find it in other brand/material, indedd repeat to add butter Focus one again? Thanks in advance

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi, it could be possible to have accurate sizes of this bolt to try to find it in other brand/material, indedd repeat to add butter Focus one again? Thanks in advance
The bolts for my Focus Jam2 are both 8mm dia (metric thread I assume).
The heads are identical, cylindrical and square cut 7mm long. The head diameter is 13.97mm.
One bolt thread is 37.25mm long and the other is 41.7mm long.
They are both marked with the same tightening torque, 12Nm.

Warning: Check to see if the shock mounting bolts for the Focus Jam2 are the same as the Focus Sam2

Shock mounting bolts (2).jpg

JEROMEREIG

Jan 13, 2020
Alicante SPAIN
The bolts for my Focus Jam2 are both 8mm dia (metric thread I assume).
The heads are identical, cylindrical and square cut 7mm long. The head diameter is 13.97mm.
One bolt thread is 37.25mm long and the other is 41.7mm long.
They are both marked with the same tightening torque, 12Nm.

Warning: Check to see if the shock mounting bolts for the Focus Jam2 are the same as the Focus Sam2

View attachment 55172
Thanks Steve, i found stronger Nukeproof bolts enough compatible on wiggle, and stronger material

mflowe

Sep 29, 2022
Utah, USA
Just had this happen to my 2018 Focus Jam C Factory.. Currently in search of a replacement bolt.. Where did you guys have luck? 12nm .. My local shop said I have to go through a Focus dealer and there are none in North America... Currently Located in Utah, US
Obviously happy to pay shipping if you guys have any leads..

Thanks!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just had this happen to my 2018 Focus Jam C Factory.. Currently in search of a replacement bolt.. Where did you guys have luck? 12nm .. My local shop said I have to go through a Focus dealer and there are none in North America... Currently Located in Utah, US
Obviously happy to pay shipping if you guys have any leads..

Thanks!
I got mine from Rutland Cycling in the UK. I very much doubt that they will be on their website, but worth a look. Any 8mm bolt that has the correct head diameter will do (see the pics above), just cut to length. If you get stuck, just contact them; I have always found them to be a decent sort.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles