So I want to weld up my own steel ebike frame.....

hamncheez

Mar 9, 2021
USA
So I'm looking to weld up my own steel (long travel, high pivot with an idler pulley) ebike frame. Initially, I was just going to use the TSDZ2 or something similar, but now I'm curious about using a true mid-mount motor, like the bafang m500.

1615327883584.png

Looking around at what major manufacturers are up to, it seems every single new ebike out there is using the Shimano e8000 drive system. I've also seen that Bosch Performance CX is only 2.8 pounds for the motor. It just seems that there are better drive systems than Bafang.

I realize its nearly impossible to buy a shimano system (unless its a shady listing on ebay) and you have to have dealer software to program it. Its also pricey. I'm sure Brose/Bosch has similar limitations for the DIY guy. Does anyone know if its worth pursuing these "better" performing systems for just 2-3 frames? Or should I stick with Bafang?

Finally, are there any resources for schematics or CAD files of the motor unit themselves? Hard to design a mid-mount frame if I don't know the dimensions of the motor case and battery. I can't find anything for any brand.

Thanks!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You can buy everything needed for a shimano system.. Separately they add up to an amount that would make your eyes water.

hamncheez

Mar 9, 2021
USA
You can buy everything needed for a shimano system.. Separately they add up to an amount that would make your eyes water.

I see that after perusing other threads.

I wonder why all the new brands are using Shimano? Maybe their OE prices are amazing.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. OE prices are far more favourable. But also very attractive when tied in with their other drivetrain /braking components and partner brands.
Same deal with SRAM /Rockshox but they don't have an EMTB motor. Which is why you'll often find sram /rs on many bosch equipped bikes

freerider

Jan 22, 2021
france
Nice idea, I wish I was good at welding
Have you tried the TSDZ2? On another forum a guy was using one but has switched to another motor
I won't post a link to another forum, particularly as this is my 1st post ;) but if you're interested google 'My attempt at lightweight, torque based EMTB'
Good luck!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whatever motor a brand chooses to use, they vary in how/at what angle they mount them so I would have thought your safest bet would be to decide on a motor first and buy it...then design your frame around it.
I also suggest you go for broke and design your bike using a carbon belt and gearbox rather than a derailleur. Your choice of gearbox may also determine whether you go for a mid mounted motor or not.

hamncheez

Mar 9, 2021
USA
Have you tried the TSDZ2?...
No, but I have heard about the reliability of bolt-on applications for actual mountain biking, which is why I want to do a true mid-mount design. I just can't find any CAD or spec files for the various mounts.

hamncheez

Mar 9, 2021
USA
Whatever motor a brand chooses to use, they vary in how/at what angle they mount them so I would have thought your safest bet would be to decide on a motor first and buy it...then design your frame around it.

Ya, that might have to be my plan. I really, really would like to get the formal specs because anything I order will probably be 6-9 months out, and I'd like to work on the frame in the meanwhile....

freerider

Jan 22, 2021
france
No, but I have heard about the reliability of bolt-on applications for actual mountain biking, which is why I want to do a true mid-mount design. I just can't find any CAD or spec files for the various mounts.
Going off on a tangent but have you thought about one of those 'skateboard motors'? Again interesting thread on another forum google 'My RC Mid Drive with Single Stage Reduction'
Quote 'With the 6384 (and really the 6374), I have plenty of power, and now I rarely drop down to the granny ring on either bike. Note that I still put in some effort (but not enough to blow my knee out...)'
I bought one of those 6384s via aliexpress and a mini fsesc controller and they cost like 'feck all'! I'm talking circa 90 bucks delivered for both I think it was :whistle:
Shame I'm not in the States, I'd let you borrow the motor and the controller and see what you come up with!

hamncheez

Mar 9, 2021
USA
Going off on a tangent but have you thought about one of those 'skateboard motors'? Again interesting thread on another forum google 'My RC Mid Drive with Single Stage Reduction'
Quote 'With the 6384 (and really the 6374), I have plenty of power, and now I rarely drop down to the granny ring on either bike. Note that I still put in some effort (but not enough to blow my knee out...)'
I bought one of those 6384s via aliexpress and a mini fsesc controller and they cost like 'feck all'! I'm talking circa 90 bucks delivered for both I think it was :whistle:
Shame I'm not in the States, I'd let you borrow the motor and the controller and see what you come up with!

Yes, but I want a torque sensor, not a throttle.

hamncheez

Mar 9, 2021
USA

Sorry for the late reply; these are great! Only issue is that they don't carry Bafang, and I can't get Shimano, Brose, or Bosch to reply to my inquiries, let alone sell me one. You can find Shimano's E8000 on ebay, but its sketchy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles