DIY ebike, to get chinese frame or used bike on craigslist? BBSHD, full suspension wanted.

RMSEz

Sep 13, 2022
NorCal
I don't currently have a bike, and need something to start my build on. I was at first thinking of just getting something used on craigslist, but I realized I don't have a clue on whats a good bike or crap bike. Would it be better to buy one of the frames on aliexpress that are specifically made for the BBSHD or similar motor? I have a bunch of experience building DIY drones and RC, and used to build really big mapping drones for work, so I think I got a good background for the e part of this bike build.

I am concerned that if I get a ebike frame specifically for a ebike motor, that if I need to replace the motor in the future, that the mounting pattern has changed and I can't find any motors that fit. Is there a standard mounting pattern for the motors? Is this a real issue? I see some frames on aliexpress that have a normal bike, no motor mount, are these any good, like the "twitter" one?

Which route would you suggest for a frame?

I plan to use it to get around my area, mostly bike lanes, but to get to them the safest and best route is down a rather rough back road. It's also rather hilly around where I live. On the weekends I hope to take it with me when I take my truck down 4x4 trails and fire roads in the mountains. So I think at least the power of the BBSHD or better, and full suspension fits the idea of the build.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles