So I started to crave a 'normal' bike....

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’m not allowed to ride a normal bike anymore. My hr gets too high going uphill as I have a heart condition.
I have to ride a ebike as my only bike.
There is a trail day coming up and there will be normal demo bikes. Can’t wait to rip downhill on a normal demo bike and feel light again. I’ll just have to walk to the top.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I make sure I start steep climbs at the back and cruise past everyone on the way up - while they are puffing and panting at 2-3MPH.
WTF dude?

Surely the whole point in a group bike ride is to ride with company, not to try and destroy them using a motor?
I tend to switch mine off on most climbs with non-Ebikes and have a blether.

Oct 26, 2018
Netherlands
All been there last year i was driving a s-works enduro

Now my wife has gotten the bug to sinds i bought
2 entry level levo’s 2019 with dropper for the money my s-works was worth

You will not hear me complain

But i do understand its allot of money

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On the subject of dj bikes my current completely irrational want is the new Airdrop Fade, purely driven by looks - looking at the specs would only make me realise what a stupid purchase it would be!

Fade Works

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.02.31.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My most ridden and most versatile bike for over two decades now has always been a dj/4X HT frame with 100mm fork. But I've always run either a superlong seatpost with QR or superlong dropper and 8 or 9 gears.

Unless you're running street tyres it can do everything from long road commutes/XC to DJ/Skatepark/Pumptrack to Enduro / DH

The Airdrop is kinda long for a pure DJ bike so should suit you better for a bit more than bowls n kickers. You might struggle to find a seatpost long enough though.

Gusset Lofty is 450mm long and I think one of the longest standard seatposts.
My KS 250mm dropper is 654mm in length so if you can get hold of one there's nothing stopping you from running the Airdrop as a do everything hardtail

D

Deleted member 1275

As much as I like my new ebike I am far from a full convert. There, for me at least, is still a definite place for regular bikes. My personal view is that eMTB'ing is not about making your mates (if I had any) look silly on the inclines when they are on normal bikes, but to have that increased average speed to explore trails more and of course to get back to the top of the hill again as quickly as poss to enjoy the decline.

Where I am becoming increasing frustrated with my ebike is beyond the pedal assist speed. Its been said here before many times but on my bike its like riding through treacle - beyond just the weight of the bike. There are a few trails near me that I have way more fun on my 17 year old Spesh Enduro than my new Mondraker. Fun is why I mountain bike in the first place and my old analogue bike still absolutely delivers that - in heaps. The heap is normally me on the floor out of exhaustion or running out of talent (then a bleeding heap) but either way - fun is what its about.

If its outright speed I'm after on two wheels then I take my Panigale out! Nuff said.

Also, @Wiltshire Warrior, nothing wrong with enjoying some retro car action too! :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
For me MTBing in a large group on the flat and downhill I am still in the leader group on my heavy Ebike compared to my normal bikes, the only difference is that no one can touch me on the climbs even on ECO. So to advertise (or antagonise) I make sure I start steep climbs at the back and cruise past everyone on the way up - while they are puffing and panting at 2-3MPH.

I think EMTBs are to normal bikes are what a 1985 Cavalier is to a 2018 Bi Turbo Insignia. Why would anyone want the crappy cavalier now?
In future I suggest you start all climbs at the front of the group, disappear off into the distance and keep going at the top. This will result in a substantially improved ride experience for all concerned.

;)

Last edited:

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
As much as I like my new ebike I am far from a full convert. There, for me at least, is still a definite place for regular bikes. My personal view is that eMTB'ing is not about making your mates (if I had any) look silly on the inclines when they are on normal bikes, but to have that increased average speed to explore trails more and of course to get back to the top of the hill again as quickly as poss to enjoy the decline.

Where I am becoming increasing frustrated with my ebike is beyond the pedal assist speed. Its been said here before many times but on my bike its like riding through treacle - beyond just the weight of the bike. There are a few trails near me that I have way more fun on my 17 year old Spesh Enduro than my new Mondraker. Fun is why I mountain bike in the first place and my old analogue bike still absolutely delivers that - in heaps. The heap is normally me on the floor out of exhaustion or running out of talent (then a bleeding heap) but either way - fun is what its about.

If its outright speed I'm after on two wheels then I take my Panigale out! Nuff said.

Also, @Wiltshire Warrior, nothing wrong with enjoying some retro car action too! :)
I completely agree. The biggest thing that lets the e bike down for me is hitting over the limiter and then it really is like treacle . I even changed my tyres to try help and it did....but only very slightly. There is some doubles I'm sure I could make if on a non e bike. But on my e bike I can't just burst pedal up to them quicker enough so always landing short. Also the weight when over the limiter is alot more noticeable than I ever thought.
I think my perfect scenario would be to take 2 bikes to bike park. Start on non e bike and after an hour or two and being more tired have an hour on e bike .

Can anyone reccormended a descent hardtail for £600ish that could do the job and also could be heavily upgraded later on. Maybe by changing the forks to fox 32 and things like that?

Just It may be better to spend less on my non e bike first and build it up slowly over time. I'm sure the Mrs would much prefer that too ?

D

Deleted member 1275

I too am interested in the hardtail recommendations. I used to have one for the winter season (less moving parts to worry about in all the mud and grit, yet still great fun) and I regret selling it.
I'm very out of touch with modern hardtails so not sure what to look out for a the various price points, but like Bongofish, something relatively inexpensive but a great base to enjoy the upgrading process over time. (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can anyone reccormended a descent hardtail for £600ish that could do the job and also could be heavily upgraded later on. Maybe by changing the forks to fox 32 and things like that?
Do you mean a l'il jump bike or a bigger hardtail?
and how tall are you?

Same 2 questions to @Ygau

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks MattyB. Not heard of Calibre before but that spec looks almost too good out of the box for me. Having had a quick look around I might need to buy used.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have a look at the Vitus Sentier and Nucleus ranges.

Pretty much best bang for your buck Hardtails our there, and good base for upgrading.

They have won various itinarations of MBR’s budget hardtail if the year multiple times.

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
WTF dude?

Surely the whole point in a group bike ride is to ride with company, not to try and destroy them using a motor?
I tend to switch mine off on most climbs with non-Ebikes and have a blether.

For once we agree :p

My thoughts exactly. I stick with everyone, just put in less effort and do most the talking. :ROFLMAO:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Reason I asked is I have a pretty high spec dirt jump bike surplus to requirements.
You're both far too tall to make it work for you as an all rounder.

I'm not the person to ask about BIG hardtails. I don't really like them.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Its probably the other way around for most of us , we have normal bikes and start to crave an ebike .

Mission MTB

Jul 17, 2018
East Yorkshire
For me an EMTB replaces several "normal" bikes. In the US with 20mph limit it climbs faster than an XC bike, more stable downhill than an Enduro bike, more fun than a Trail bike and gets me to work faster than a commuter bike. That's how I justify the steep cost, it takes the place of 4 bikes so I'm actually saving money. :)

Sounds like something you'd say to the wife... then buy the other 3 bikes over the next year anyway :-D

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So I just bought this

Boardman MHT 8.6 Mens Mountain Bike - 2019

With a discount code got it for £580. I've had the raidon forks before and there actually pretty good.

Should be perfect for me for a non e bike that I can upgrade and also use for when I just want to throw something around in the rain and keep the e bike nicely snuggled away. Any thoughts on my new purchase. All opinions welcome.....*waits for Gary to tell me it's shit* ????

D

Deleted member 1275

@Bongofish nice mate! I like it and good price too. I bought a £180 Apollo from Halfrauds. Gary. My Apollo is way better than Bongofish’s Boardman, .....right?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Any thoughts on my new purchase. All opinions welcome.....*waits for Gary to tell me it's shit* ????

Thoughts?.. .er... bloody hell you don't hang about with purchases do you?

I actually helped a friend choose her first FS mtb and we went with a Boardman as it was way better value/spec than anything else for the money. The hardtail you've just bought looks as good as anything else at the pricepoint.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles