So I started to crave a 'normal' bike....

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Just for the reason of being lighter and feeling like I can throw it around a bit more and not worry as much about a mechanical failure in a off...but then....at the bike park today I literally got about 13 runs in of a certain trail I love in about 2.5 hours. I was passing people 3x on the way back up before they got to the top pushing there bikes again. Someone even said to me 'your so quick every 5 minutes your going back down again' and I couldn't help but think 'how the hell do I ever go back to a normal bike again'. I've been able to not get off my bike at all today because I could just cruise back up to the top and have fun doing . Other riders I would say have about a 60/40 split at this bike park and that's in favour of pushing. 2 mins going down before the 10 Min walk back up on this certain popular part of the trail.

its slightly annoying as for £2000 I could get a really nice 'normal' full sus and in the e bike world it doesn't get you that much. But I had a big smile under my helmet everytime I was at top of the trial agin In 2 mins.

anyone else gone through this?

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Same thing goes through my mind some times. But then I stick my ebike on turbo and I forget everything about it :LOL:

I guess is all down to your style of riding. I don't throw my bike around that much, so the ebike suits me best. I like the weight of it and how stable is on fast runs.

I hope you feel better tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I have thought about this. I did have a descent full sus but then sold it as I thought the e bike is all I needed from now...and it probably is. Just starting to progress about in jumping and hitting burms faster and while the weight of the bike does feel stable I forget what a 12kg bike feels like now haha. Also I keep looking for my next e bike just teasing myself and then I can't help comparing the difference to a non e bike for the same price .

But it's alright having a nice non e bike but if I can't be arsed to use it because I'm knackered after a few runs of pedalling or pushing back to the top then it's not worth it....hmmm

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
I have thought about this. I did have a descent full sus but then sold it as I thought the e bike is all I needed from now...and it probably is. Just starting to progress about in jumping and hitting burms faster and while the weight of the bike does feel stable I forget what a 12kg bike feels like now haha. Also I keep looking for my next e bike just teasing myself and then I can't help comparing the difference to a non e bike for the same price .

But it's alright having a nice non e bike but if I can't be arsed to use it because I'm knackered after a few runs of pedalling or pushing back to the top then it's not worth it....hmmm
Just for the reason of being lighter and feeling like I can throw it around a bit more and not worry as much about a mechanical failure in a off...but then....at the bike park today I literally got about 13 runs in of a certain trail I love in about 2.5 hours. I was passing people 3x on the way back up before they got to the top pushing there bikes again. Someone even said to me 'your so quick every 5 minutes your going back down again' and I couldn't help but think 'how the hell do I ever go back to a normal bike again'. I've been able to not get off my bike at all today because I could just cruise back up to the top and have fun doing . Other riders I would say have about a 60/40 split at this bike park and that's in favour of pushing. 2 mins going down before the 10 Min walk back up on this certain popular part of the trail.

its slightly annoying as for £2000 I could get a really nice 'normal' full sus and in the e bike world it doesn't get you that much. But I had a big smile under my helmet everytime I was at top of the trial agin In 2 mins.

Hi mate where have you been riding today? Looking to get my first bike in a couple of weeks. Been given a big reduction on a Lapierre overvolt 927 but I'm struggling to pull myself away for the Canyon Spectral.....arghhhh decisions hahaha

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Nah sometimes I do too. I'm half a year into emtb and I wasn't into mtb at all before that (except the cheap mountain bikes I had as a kid).

A need for a lighter bike is itching as the stuff that I'm learning (or trying to) is a bit harder on these heavy emtb.

I do enjoy grabbing my friend's mtb, I actually crashed two days ago doing a manual on his bike, testing new forks I installed. The bike just flew up haha.

But in reality I know a non ebike would be a pain in the ass for me. I just rode for 2-3 hours without getting off the bike, discovered some hard to reach places that I would have never found on a regular bike. It's just too easy to explore.
I'll probably ride again tomorrow and then grab the same bike Monday to go to work.

I'm afraid a regular bike would be collecting dust and giving me buyer remorse.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
The opposite I'm afraid. Third ride in today on the modded levo, third ride in 4m. I haven't rode that aggressive in probably 2 years, since I was race fit. It's all because on the transitions and ups I used so little energy, I could attack every down like it was my first. A normal bike seems a lot less appealing even at half the weight.

GiantE66

Oct 27, 2018
Worcestershire

Just bought my first e bike and love it it's the new Giant Trance E pro SX after owning a trance carbon 1 I must say the E bike rocks lol

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Couldn't ever not have normal bikes too... They're great!

My thoughts are fairly well doccumented here
Are you 'over' riding non-ebikes? - EMTB Forums
I can see that, but a. I can't afford two bikes of the spec I like and b. I don't ride varied enough terrain to justify two.

I've been a big believer in finding one bike does all. I might have finally found it. But then again...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can see that, but a. I can't afford two bikes of the spec I like and b. I don't ride varied enough terrain to justify two.

I've been a big believer in finding one bike does all. I might have finally found it. But then again...

Being very much at the other end of the spectrum and having 10 bikes myself. Not all mtbs BTW. It's unlikely we'd see eye to eye on the one bike does all thing.
Please don't take this the wrong way but either your Intense or your Levo are what? £6k+ bikes? That's roughly the same value as my Vitus E-sommet and Carbon YT Capra combined. Both spec'd mid-high level 11spd groups, 1 SRAM the other Shimano (I have no need for the estra range 12spd offers) high level finishing kit and top level RS suspension. Zero Carbon though - I just don't trust carbon parts. Ironic running a carbon frame I know. Neither of these two bikes might tick all the boxes for spec you "like". But performance wise they're both equally as capable bikes (well..actually I'd say they are more so but that's because they're spec'd set-up for how where I ride and I don't know how/where you ride). Absolutely fair enough that you like very expensive bike parts though. Most coaching companies do tend to be very corporate and have their coaches/leaders kitted out with very fashionable high end kit and I do realise why..
If I had to have just one bike it wouldn't be an Ebike, we're all different though. This is down to a number of factors. eg. Firstly I just prefer the handling of a non-Ebikes in almost every way which is mainly down to the extra weight and less responsiveness. (My Ebike is lighter than a 2019 Levo BTW) Then there's: Range - an Ebike's range isn't actually very far anywhere properly hilly. Reliability - The motors just aren't durable enough IMO. Fitness - Ebikes do not keep me anywhere near as fit as non-ebikes and I would struggle to actually use one for fitness purposes.
For me the only true all rounder mtb would be a small strong 100mm 4X hardtail (non-Ebike) with a decent gearing range and a long dropper post. But to fulfill my riding requirements I need something that can ride long XC miles, trail centres, down WC/National level DH track, EWS level enduro stages but still be ok down the BMX track, DJs, skate park or on the road. So obviously no Ebike can fit that remit.

Being honest I actually find it difficult to get my head round your choice to coach mtb skills on an Ebike. (assuming that's what you do full-time) but again that's your choice and not what we're discussing here so I'll leave my thought on that out of it.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Being very much at the other end of the spectrum and having 10 bikes myself. Not all mtbs BTW. It's unlikely we'd see eye to eye on the one bike does all thing.
Please don't take this the wrong way but either your Intense or your Levo are what? £6k+ bikes? That's roughly the same value as my Vitus E-sommet and Carbon YT Capra combined. Both spec'd mid-high level 11spd groups, 1 SRAM the other Shimano (I have no need for the estra range 12spd offers) high level finishing kit and top level RS suspension. Zero Carbon though - I just don't trust carbon parts. Ironic running a carbon frame I know. Neither of these two bikes might tick all the boxes for spec you "like". But performance wise they're both equally as capable bikes (well..actually I'd say they are more so but that's because they're spec'd set-up for how where I ride and I don't know how/where you ride). Absolutely fair enough that you like very expensive bike parts though. Most coaching companies do tend to be very corporate and have their coaches/leaders kitted out with very fashionable high end kit and I do realise why..
If I had to have just one bike it wouldn't be an Ebike, we're all different though. This is down to a number of factors. eg. Firstly I just prefer the handling of a non-Ebikes in almost every way which is mainly down to the extra weight and less responsiveness. (My Ebike is lighter than a 2019 Levo BTW) Then there's: Range - an Ebike's range isn't actually very far anywhere properly hilly. Reliability - The motors just aren't durable enough IMO. Fitness - Ebikes do not keep me anywhere near as fit as non-ebikes and I would struggle to actually use one for fitness purposes.
For me the only true all rounder mtb would be a small strong 100mm 4X hardtail (non-Ebike) with a decent gearing range and a long dropper post. But to fulfill my riding requirements I need something that can ride long XC miles, trail centres, down WC/National level DH track, EWS level enduro stages but still be ok down the BMX track, DJs, skate park or on the road. So obviously no Ebike can fit that remit.

Being honest I actually find it difficult to get my head round your choice to coach mtb skills on an Ebike. (assuming that's what you do full-time) but again that's your choice and not what we're discussing here so I'll leave my thought on that out of it.

I struggle to find a reason you own an E mtb Gary. There is nothing positive you mention about your e bike on your post!!
I'm not been a twat here and not starting an argument, but just interested mate.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I own an Ebike for lots of positive reasons too. Read the Vitus E-Sommet VR thread and the one Ilinked to above if you want to read them.
Just as with all my bikes I really like riding my Emtb I'm just not unrealistic about an Ebikes' flaws.

More recently I've been carrying a few injuries and my Emtb meant I could still ride when I'd otherwise have put my recovery time backwards in doing so. This alone is a massive positive for owning one.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think so much of it depend on your skill set and fitness levels. If you have basic fitness then an EMTB is really opening up all areas of MTB'ing to you, if you already have very good what i call MTB Fitness (because i know plenty of fit people who struggle with the stop start/non linear nature of riding off road) then an EMTB isnt necessarily opening up what you can do, rather proving an option on certain rides/days to maximise what you do.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ha! Apeciate the compliment but I am no yoda and there are others with far greater technical knowledge than me on here, but the 504WH force does run strong through me:cool:

Simple fact is i have run the full spectrum of bike ownership down the years, from compulsive purchases of bikes that where totally wrong for me, to obsesive geeking out on specs and setup and wanting the latest and greatest bikes and parts, from riding every day to hardly riding and being over it, and back again to just loving riding bikes of any kind and only really caring that whatever i buy is going to put a smile on my face. Hopefully my years of making expensive mistakes can help others avoid them.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one. Some good points, but I won't reply to keep it on topic.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
For me an EMTB replaces several "normal" bikes. In the US with 20mph limit it climbs faster than an XC bike, more stable downhill than an Enduro bike, more fun than a Trail bike and gets me to work faster than a commuter bike. That's how I justify the steep cost, it takes the place of 4 bikes so I'm actually saving money. :)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So I can't help it...keep drooling over this
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orange-Cru...LXHXCtU-sj1-SEWHKgFcZ5puE7EG8djBoCdXkQAvD_BwE

Just as a trail centre bike when there's no massive climbs to top of there's an uplift. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I do like my hardtails. Don't want to start not talking e bikes on a forum that's all about them but it would be nice to have the choice of which to take or maybe even take both with me ??. Haha

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sure you want a hardtail? You could pick up a pretty handy FS in the sales right now.

I have bought many a bike because i love the look and realised i made a big mistake after. Hardcore hardtails are great, and i am a big fan of them, but given what i know of your bikes, a decent FS bike is what would allow you to progress your riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hardtails can be great for progression.
150mm mincetank hardtails rarely progress anyone's riding though.
100mm dirt jump ones do. Or make you realise you'll always be a shit rider. - It's a thin line
Ultimately to progress you need to ride a lot and push your boundaries.

Ooops. That'll be that arsehole making noises again... Whether you waft it away or take it in is entirely your call ;)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Hardtails can be great for progression.
150mm mincetank hardtails rarely progress anyone's riding though.
100mm dirt jump ones do. Or make you realise you'll always be a shit rider. - It's a thin line
Ultimately to progress you need to ride a lot and push your boundaries.

Ooops. That'll be that arsehole making noises again... Whether you waft it away or take it in is entirely your call ;)

As much as it pains me to agree with Gary, I totally agree with this. Going back 15 years to my dh days, I built a 26" jump bike up as a do it all hard tail and started hitting dj and the dh trails on it, after about a week I was riding the dh trails significantly faster than on the dh bike.

One day Ill dig it out and take it down the trails I take my kenevo down, see how it feels now :)

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
@Bongofish maybe the answer is to go and hire or demo regular bikes every once in a while. It’s a lot cheaper than buying, you can try all sorts of different types and flavours and it will give you an idea if there really is room in your life for one.

It’s a slippery slope though, folk seem to have just one bike or they have a number of bikes don’t see many with just two!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why does it pain folk to agree with me? :cry:

My advice is pretty much spot on most of the time

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
For me MTBing in a large group on the flat and downhill I am still in the leader group on my heavy Ebike compared to my normal bikes, the only difference is that no one can touch me on the climbs even on ECO. So to advertise (or antagonise) I make sure I start steep climbs at the back and cruise past everyone on the way up - while they are puffing and panting at 2-3MPH.

I think EMTBs are to normal bikes are what a 1985 Cavalier is to a 2018 Bi Turbo Insignia. Why would anyone want the crappy cavalier now?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles