So far NOT so good

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
After reading all these replies, I starting to realize why there’s so many bearing problems out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
After reading all these replies, I starting to realize why there’s so many bearing problems out there.
well prevention is better than cure.............use good quality bearings in the first place ( check ABEC rating), dont blast with a hose or even worse a pressure washer, no bearing seal will withstand that............ensure seals on hubs/freehub are clean/greased and have not hardened or shrunk ( even better buy well sealed hubs like DT Swiss) and protect seals from the worst of water and mud when riding with a rear mudguard. When cleaning the bike use a stiff brush to clear away any dirt on pivot bearing protection washers which will otherwsie work its way into the bearing. Be aware also that bearings are designed for specific primary forces which are invariably vertical to the bearing orientation..............some sideways ( horizontal) forces are invevitable but it is those forces that create most wear, so you will need to be more vigilant of those bearings if you into hitting berms hard and like doing whips! The most protective cartridge bearing seals also mean most friction but that is not a concern for slow moving parts like pivots so they can be used there.....and they also can be max bearings, but friction is more of a concern in hubs and free hubs , hence lighter contact seals and external sealing of the hub becomes more important.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Gotta be careful heating alloy, doesn't take much detemper it.

At this point Id either pull it out with a slide hammer, or take it to the bike shop 😂
I totally agree
My statement was just clearing up previous posts on heating
all thou a small amount of heat wont hurt it wouldn't be a recommendation on a bike frame or anything structural personally (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Years ago I quickly threw together an incinerator using some "tin" sheet .. except it wasn't tin, it was aluminium .. I didn't think it would get "that" warm .. Unfortunately it did appear to detemper ...... slightly. Or more likely, tempered - then shattered/combusted ... (660°C or 1220°F) Still, if you did the same in this instance, I think you'd get the bearing race out.

1681288325865.png

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
After reading this I realise that every few rides it's not so anal dripping a little lubricant onto my pivot bearings and wiping off the excess. On the bike I mean of course. ;)
Please don’t take this the wrong way but I have been doing that periodically, I read an article about lubing bearings, it’s not a good idea because apparently it attracts dust to the area and it’s impossible to remove the excess from close fitting frame parts, not my words but I see the logic behind it, I’ll just be careful cleaning those areas from now on, I never used a pressure washer anyway but maybe I was a little over pressure with the hosepipe

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Please don’t take this the wrong way but I have been doing that periodically, I read an article about lubing bearings, it’s not a good idea because apparently it attracts dust to the area and it’s impossible to remove the excess from close fitting frame parts, not my words but I see the logic behind it, I’ll just be careful cleaning those areas from now on, I never used a pressure washer anyway but maybe I was a little over pressure with the hosepipe
I simply stated what I currently do, that's all.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
After reading this I realise that every few rides it's not so anal dripping a little lubricant onto my pivot bearings and wiping off the excess. On the bike I mean of course. ;)
I do that after brushing them each time I clean the bike......because I store my bikes in the house I have to do at least a basic bike clean after every ride!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....yes it will if you don't wipe it clean afterwards. I use pipe cleaners .....proper cotton ones not the multi coloured nylon ones!!

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I only made that comment because I didn’t want anyone else to reduce the life of their bearings or cause any damage, I’ve been guilty of lubeing my bearings with a drip or two in between the frame sections too so trust me I’m not trying to tell anyone what they’re doing is wrong, I’d be a hypocrite if I did, plus I’m no expert either, I was quoting a statement from someone else who I still can’t remember whom made it 🙄

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Unless you remove the dust seals, you won't manage to get any lubricant into the bearings, you're just dripping it in the general area then wiping it off (unless your bike has grease ports like an intense).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Unless you remove the dust seals, you won't manage to get any lubricant into the bearings, you're just dripping it in the general area then wiping it off (unless your bike has grease ports like an intense).
if you are referring to pivot bearings they usually have spacers/seal protectors visible between the bearing and frame. Dirt on those, if left, will work its way between the spacer and bearing seal. Bearing seals are only a comfort fit against the outer bearing shell....not hermetically joined......and it can get past the seal and also cause the seal to rotate when the pivot moves, further weakening the ability of the seal to keep water/dust etc out. The cleaning process has nothing to do with lubricating the bearing itself.............the ball race in the bearing is of course lubricated with grease not oil.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Well from a personal standpoint once I’ve done my bike I’m not going to be doing any additional lubricating of any kind around my bearings, I’ll resort to giving my bike a gentle wash in the area of the bearings just like I have been around the electronics 👍

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Well today I’ve finally been able to start the bearings replacement on my bike, the job itself had been going well until I came to removing the main pivot bearings, the none drive side knocked out easily enough but the drive side bearing just disintegrated into tiny pieces, and to add insult to injury the only piece left in my bike is the outer bearing race, I’ve been on eBay and bought a tool designed to remove the offending piece, I bought from the company I bought the extraction and insertion tools, I’m preying it works but in the mean time my bike is in bits in my workshop 😢
And that's the reason I use my LBS, they have every tool and the know-how to do this job proficiently that you don't lose riding time.

Reactions: Dax

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
And that's the reason I use my LBS, they have every tool and the know-how to do this job proficiently that you don't lose riding time.
From a personal standpoint I haven’t lost riding time because of my bike, I’ve lost time because of my back, and besides that, most bike shops have a waiting time for repairs, well they do if they’re any good, so there in equals lost riding time, and no I’m not trying to be clever, just pointing out that things rarely get done straight away no matter how good they are.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles