salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Product Image: (see below)
Product name: Smart Wifi Plug -- TP-Link HS110
Price paid: ~28€
Score (out of 10): 9/10

Review: This is a review for those of you who take care of the battery in a way that you don't charge it to 100% after every ride, but only when you need a full charge/range. You have many threads on this forum for more details about how to take care of your battery.
So with this smart wifi plug you can remotely control (from everywhere you have access to internet) when your ebike charger will start to charge and when it will turn off. You control everything via smart phone app called Kasa. You can manually turn the plug on/off, set up schedule or count-down timer (from 1min to 24hours) when plug/charger will turn on or off, so if you know your charging rate you can pretty accurate charge your battery to desired %. With model HS110 you will also see real-time power and energy consumption of device which is plugged in. If this plug would also have some kind of history or graphs with measured data I would give it a score 10/10, but unfortunatelly it does not support this (for now). The price is very reasonable too, if you still want to save a few more €/Ł there is also a model HS100 which comes without energy monitoring feature. I'm using HS110 for 4 months now and I can say it works perfectly for this application (charging ebike battery) and is very reliable so you might also use it for controling christmas tree lights.

Screenshot_20200730_173221_com.tplink.kasa_android.jpg
Screenshot_20200730_173238_com.tplink.kasa_android.jpg
Screenshot_20200730_173248_com.tplink.kasa_android.jpg

1596123046352.png

1596123842123.png

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I love these things, I've got a few, not just useful when charging the battery.

They can be connected to Alexa also, so if you some lamps with normal bulbs, and some with Philips Hue, they can all be controlled with one command to Alexa.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
This is great.

I have some Philips Hue bulps/LEDstrips and some sensors, and was happy when they released a plug relay like this.
It turns on at midnight when the power is cheap and run for some hours.....really great.
And it works with GoogleAssistent.
Love it :)

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Got loads of these plugs in my place. There's also a cheaper slimline plug KP105. And a power strip too where all the sockets are individually controllable.

615fKWmLqLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 616+p+E4XJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
I have a few of these and use them for things like block heaters with the diesel. Glad I read this thread though because it never occurred to me to use it for this. Thanks!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I bought a hs110 from Amazon the other week for £14 delivered. Not bad at all. I flick on the bike charger for a couple of hours on the day of the ride. Saves constantly charging to 100% so hopefully prolonging bike battery life.

great purchase in my book ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Great review and I can see use for this but for EMTB battery charging it sounds maybe a bit too much work compared to achievements which also are a bit ambiguous.

"so if you know your charging rate you can pretty accurate charge your battery to desired % "
This is logical but it becomes more complicated if your battery is not always in same state like:
- Fully empty
- 10%
- 55%

The real solution would be something copied from electric cars where you can tell at what time you will leave to work (riding) and the charger tops up the battery and heats the cabin.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Great review and I can see use for this but for EMTB battery charging it sounds maybe a bit too much work compared to achievements which also are a bit ambiguous.

"so if you know your charging rate you can pretty accurate charge your battery to desired % "
This is logical but it becomes more complicated if your battery is not always in same state like:
- Fully empty
- 10%
- 55%

The real solution would be something copied from electric cars where you can tell at what time you will leave to work (riding) and the charger tops up the battery and heats the cabin.
Not complicated at all, I can calculate needed time for charging to desired % in a matter of seconds. More complicated will be if charging power is not (more or less) constant for first 80%. I can only tell that for Specialized 700Wh battery and 4A charger the charging rate is about 22%/hour and is pretty constant up to about 80-85%, then slowly drops down ...

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Not complicated at all, I can calculate needed time for charging to desired % in a matter of seconds. More complicated will be if charging power is not (more or less) constant for first 80%. I can only tell that for Specialized 700Wh battery and 4A charger the charging rate is about 22%/hour and is pretty constant up to about 80-85%, then slowly drops down ...
You are absolutely right and the key is "is pretty constant up to about 80-85%"

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I still dont understand why all bike manufacturers cant just have a "normal charge to circa 60-80%" vs "full charge" button (like Giant do); plus some logic that reads the battery temperature and only charges if its in optimum state (Specialized give this reading via Mission Control so they clearly have the ability to read temps) so you're not charging straight after a hard ride or when you've left your bike in a Volcano...

Anyhow I'm taking the thread off on a tangent so I'll stop ranting ?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Manufacturers don't want that batteries would last too long, it's against their "money making politics" ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles