Smart System Walk Mode - pants

andybobbill

Aug 9, 2023
UK
Hey all.
Had my first real requirement to use walk mode over the weekend, and I have to say it's beyond useless. Seemingly on and off constantly, when it is moving it's super slow.
Back home in the garage and in a work stand with a clamp on the button: I can see it's stop/start the whole time unless I'm in the very hardest gear. Who gets to the bottom of an unrideable section in top gear??
Looking around I've seen a few others complaining of similar, and some with no issues.
Am I doing something wrong, or should I be hassling Bosch?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Had an issue last week with my Trek HT. Recently installed a Kiox and a few days later the walk mode started acting up. It would start off slow then drop to 1kmh. We believe that the computer had glitched. A firmware update at the LBS solved the issue.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hey all.
Had my first real requirement to use walk mode over the weekend, and I have to say it's beyond useless. Seemingly on and off constantly, when it is moving it's super slow.
Back home in the garage and in a work stand with a clamp on the button: I can see it's stop/start the whole time unless I'm in the very hardest gear. Who gets to the bottom of an unrideable section in top gear??
Looking around I've seen a few others complaining of similar, and some with no issues.
Am I doing something wrong, or should I be hassling Bosch?
I think that issue, based on previous threads, is bike brand specific (Trek) rather than a Bosch issue. Walk mode works fine on my bike with the Bosch Smart System.

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
I think that issue, based on previous threads, is bike brand specific (Trek) rather than a Bosch issue. Walk mode works fine on my bike with the Bosch Smart System.
It is not only Treks. My Focus Thron has the same issue. It is very frustrating on long slippery climbs or up stairs.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Walk mode on my Whyte E160 is amazing. Never cuts out, works in any gear. Sounds like there is some issue here.
....yes and my Whyte E180 RS and E160 RSX.
Trek uses their own brand speed sensor rather than a Bosch one.............maybe Focus also use a proprietry speed sensor?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Walk mode is only semi useful in some situations. To steep and the wheel skids, too rooty/rocky and the wheel skids, it has to be pretty damn and silly for you not to be able to ride up. So there is a slither of usefulness between ride and too steep to use walk mode. I would like it if you could turn it on then no pressure the button constantly. Then turn it off when finished. Its a pain trying to hold the button down and lift the bike up and over stuff at the same time.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
There are really two situations where I use it. When I'm sessioning something and I can't (or would rather not) ride up and when I'm getting the bike up the stairs at my flat. I just gently hold the saddle down which gives enough grip for the bike to glide up pretty much anything.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles