Bosch walk mode turned to shit after update. How to roll back update?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Hey bro's

Got the speed sensor replaced at the bike shop because it got damaged. The shop it a software update and since then the walk mode has been absolutely useless.

I suspect it was the software update. I want to roll back the update to see. But i cant find any way to do that.
I'll get the bike back into the bike shop in a week or so. But if i can would like to try the roll back myself if possible.

PS The walk mode now does a 1/2 a crank turn then slows right down for 10 seconds then another half crank and so forth/so on. It is absolutely useless in the current configuration.
Previously it just ran continuously, as long as you had your finger on the button.

Why do i need walk mode? I do a lot of hike a bike with section far steeper than is possible to ride. on hike a bike rides 10 to 20% of the track is pushing/carrying.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
LBS is the only way. My walk mode has been like that since I had the bike. Thankfully I never use it so don't mind

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Same, walk mode used to be pretty decent, continuously on and faster, now it's next to useless.
Half the speed and cuts in and out.
Is it a bug or was it designed like that? If so who in their right mind thought it was a good idea!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Same, walk mode used to be pretty decent, continuously on and faster, now it's next to useless.
Half the speed and cuts in and out.
Is it a bug or was it designed like that? If so who in their right mind thought it was a good idea!
Yeah, my was sweet until a speed sensor replacement and update. Then useless. I'll get it back in the shop after this weekend.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Updated the old-school Kiosk and gen4 CX motor more than a year ago. Previous to that the walk mode would immediately advance the bike to 6kph. That speed was fine but the initial activation could be startling or abrupt at first.

The update tamed that down a little. Now, upon activation, the walk-assist will start at 3kph for approximately 4 seconds then advance to 6kph as long as the +button is pressed. When the + button is released the walk-assist mode depletes (10 seconds?), unless you activate the + button before the walk mode depletes and the speed will resume to 6kph.

You can exit the walk assist mode anytime by pressing the - button. I find this assistance level reasonable. I sometimes release the + button during a hike-a-bike if I reach a shelf, but active the + button again for the next part of the climb.

On a steep rocky climb the rear wheel will spin while in walk mode. A little bit of a push is needed until traction is regained. I don’t know what speeds are available for the smart-bikes but I hope the new Fuel EXE is about the same.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont think this is a Bosch issue but rather an issue with some Bosch systems that do not use the Bosch speed sensor. I have 3 Bosch bikes...2 of which are the older Purion controller type and 1 is the Bosch Smart system. The older system bikes work differently to the Smart System but both work just fine. The older Purion controller bikes need the Walk assist button to be pressed then within a few seconds the + to be held down all the time you want the walk assist to work. It is a little fierce in that it starts to go at its full speed straight away! On the Smart system the- button is held and Kiox ( if you have one) gives a 10 second countdown for you to push the bike forward and then the walk assist operates. It also has a hill hold. If you stop going forward walk assist stops but prevents the bike from rolling backwards..........push forward again and walk assist re-engages.
Sadly, forestry work in one of my local forests has wrecked a lot of regular downhill runs and today we were finding out which ones were passable and which were not..............except some could be ridden for the first section and then we found ourselves in absolute nowhere land and had to break through lots of forest branches/logs etc just in order to find a way out. Lots of walk assist plus some hike a bike..........and today was supposed to be freezing but it was sunny and I was overdressed!! Long story short..........walk assist worked fine ( Bosch Smart System/Whyte bike)

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I dont think this is a Bosch issue but rather an issue with some Bosch systems that do not use the Bosch speed sensor. I have 3 Bosch bikes...2 of which are the older Purion controller type and 1 is the Bosch Smart system. The older system bikes work differently to the Smart System but both work just fine. The older Purion controller bikes need the Walk assist button to be pressed then within a few seconds the + to be held down all the time you want the walk assist to work. It is a little fierce in that it starts to go at its full speed straight away! On the Smart system the- button is held and Kiox ( if you have one) gives a 10 second countdown for you to push the bike forward and then the walk assist operates. It also has a hill hold. If you stop going forward walk assist stops but prevents the bike from rolling backwards..........push forward again and walk assist re-engages.
Sadly, forestry work in one of my local forests has wrecked a lot of regular downhill runs and today we were finding out which ones were passable and which were not..............except some could be ridden for the first section and then we found ourselves in absolute nowhere land and had to break through lots of forest branches/logs etc just in order to find a way out. Lots of walk assist plus some hike a bike..........and today was supposed to be freezing but it was sunny and I was overdressed!! Long story short..........walk assist worked fine ( Bosch Smart System/Whyte bike)
Well mine is a bosch rim magnet speed sensor in a 2023 bosch smart system. It worked perfectly fine for 6 months. The sensor was replaced because it got damage.... since then. walk assist shizer.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I preferred how it used to be. Push the - button for 5 seconds or so and it went straight into full power walk mode, release the button and it stopped. It was handy as you could use the bike to pull you up over rough terrain.

Having to push the bike forward a few feet to engage walk assist is useless when your on steep rooty terrain.

Martin Sadecký

Oct 13, 2023
Czech republic
Hey bro's

Got the speed sensor replaced at the bike shop because it got damaged. The shop it a software update and since then the walk mode has been absolutely useless.

I suspect it was the software update. I want to roll back the update to see. But i cant find any way to do that.
I'll get the bike back into the bike shop in a week or so. But if i can would like to try the roll back myself if possible.

PS The walk mode now does a 1/2 a crank turn then slows right down for 10 seconds then another half crank and so forth/so on. It is absolutely useless in the current configuration.
Previously it just ran continuously, as long as you had your finger on the button.

Why do i need walk mode? I do a lot of hike a bike with section far steeper than is possible to ride. on hike a bike rides 10 to 20% of the track is pushing/carrying.
Sorry, bro´s.
Updates can never be undone. Only a cetified Bosch service can do the software playback. If you ride the bike without a problem, it's best not to do the update.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
Reading TFM I think the system is overdesigned for its simple purpose.. A lot of ifs an acc. to the manual the speed / power depends to the gear:

Switching the push assistance on/off
The push assistance aids you when pushing your eBike. The speed in this function depends on the selected gear and can reach a maximum of 6 km/h. The lower the selected gear, the lower the speed of the push assistance function (at full power).

To start walk assistance, press the (8) button for more than 1 s and keep it pressed. The battery charge indicator (3) goes out and a white moving light in the direction of travel shows that it is ready.

To activate walk assistance, one of the following actions must occur within the next 10 s:
– Push the eBike forwards.
– Push the eBike backwards.
– Perform a sideways tilting movement with the eBike. After activation, the motor begins to push and the continuously filling white bars change colour to ice-blue.

If you release the (8) button, walk assistance is paused. You can reactivate walk assistance within 10 s by pressing the (8) button.

If you do not reactivate walk assistance within 10 s, walk assistance automatically switches off.

Walk assistance is always ended if:
– the rear wheel jams;
– the bicycle cannot move over ridges;
– a body part is blocking the bike crank;
– an obstacle continues to turn the crank;
– you start pedalling;
– the (9) button or on/off button (1) is pressed.

The push assistance function is subject to local regulations; the way it works may therefore differ from the description above, or the function may even be deactivated completely.

Last edited:

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
On my smart system my LBS could adjust the walk speed. (USA). To me if it was working prior to the speed sensor change and not after. Sounds like something needs to be calibrated. Every thing I read about latest software update did nothing to the walk feature.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
To activate walk assistance, one of the following actions must occur within the next 10 s:
– Push the eBike forwards.
– Push the eBike backwards.
– Perform a sideways tilting movement with the eBike. After activation, the motor begins to push and the continuously filling white bars change colour to ice-blue.

Going to have to back track a bit now, I was not aware of these options.
Tested them out today, and they all worked, the best being pushing the bike backwards slightly, which pretty much engages walk assist straight away, much better than pushing forward which always seems a bit hesitant to start.

I would still prefer it to have a faster initial pick up, as being on a climb you're inevitably in an easy gear, but at least it's useable. Thanks @Arminius

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Tested them out today, and they all worked, the best being pushing the bike backwards slightly, which pretty much engages walk assist straight away, much better than pushing forward which always seems a bit hesitant to start.

I would still prefer it to have a faster initial pick up, as being on a climb you're inevitably in an easy gear, but at least it's useable. Thanks @Arminius
yes.........and on a steep climb that you have not managed to conquer, you hardly want the bike propelled forwad at any stage at 6kph because it is likely you would not be a ble to pick your way up the climb that fast. The max speed of 6kph is aimed much more at getting some assistance on more level ground.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
What can I say, I've got long legs 😆

It's more the fact that when in the lowest gear I find it's too slow to get going.

Now, if you could tailor it to suit your needs in the flow app, that would be something.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany

You are welcome. For myself I don‘t think I can remember the proceeding when being stuck next time. :rolleyes:

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
The max speed of 6kph is aimed much more at getting some assistance on more level ground.
I get this, but I can't think of a time I've ever used walk assist on level ground. If I'm on level ground, I'm riding ;)
Unless of course it's strewn with obstacles.
Really the only time I use walk assist is on steep techy climbs where I've failed completely and I need to get the bike to a point where I can push off again, I'm sure this is similar for most people using it.
In these situations I'm usually in the lowest gear and don't get anywhere near the 6kph limit.

For me and the way I use it I did prefer it before the update where it went into full power straight away, but I understand this won't be ideal for all situations, having the ability to customise it would be great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles