Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nov 20, 2018
iom
Don’t think it’s possible? It doesn’t have a normal headset with cups it has bearing in the frame? Or am I mistaken? Cheers
Fairly sure no one makes an angleset that's compatible with the kenevo headtube.
Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert Headset - EMTB Forums

but depending on tyre clearance an off-set shock bushing in the front shock eyelet might be an option to slacken it slightly (probably only by about 0.5deg max). If so it'd lower BB height very slightly too which is no bad thing IMO
Offsetbushings.com | Superior Standard & Offset Bicycle Shock Hardware

Massive oversight by Spesh IMO
what a bummer! A 63 head angle would be nice. This is actually my buying decision if I can’t slack it out I won’t bother.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What about a 2019 E-Sommet when they become available?
A new air shaft to run the Lyrik at 180mm and a -1 angleset should get you down to 63deg.
Mine's sub 65deg just from running a 2.3 rear tyre with a 2.5 upfront.
The BB is actually low on them so they'll handle the jack up from a longer fork no probs.
and despite being only 160mm rear I preferred it's rear suspension performance to the Kenevo I rode (briefly)

@R120 runs a 180mm Lyrik on his 2018 E-Sommet VR and I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you how it rides and how much slacker it is with the longer fork.

Nov 20, 2018
iom
What about a 2019 E-Sommet when they become available?
A new air shaft to run the Lyrik at 180mm and a -1 angleset should get you down to 63deg.
Mine's sub 65deg just from running a 2.3 rear tyre with a 2.5 upfront.
The BB is actually low on them so they'll handle the jack up from a longer fork no probs.
and despite being only 160mm rear I preferred it's rear suspension performance to the Kenevo I rode (briefly)

@R120 runs a 180mm Lyrik on his 2018 E-Sommet VR and I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you how it rides and how much slacker it is with the longer fork.
It’s betwee the Vitus and kenevo, I can get a kenevo for £500 more but the angles don’t look quite slack enough, currently ride geometron so I like slack bikes

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Funnily enough the guy who's Kenevo I rode's other bike is a Geomerton. His Large Kenevo was pretty close in size to my small E-Sommet. I didn't even swing a leg over his Geometron as I hate long bikes but his Mrs had a smaller one that I did ride. it rode and fitted me pretty nice. (defeating Mr Porters entire vision somewhat :LOL: )

Point being Kenevos are also short. The E-sommet isn't

Nov 20, 2018
iom
Funnily enough the guy who's Kenevo I rode's other bike is a Geomerton. His Large Kenevo was pretty close in size to my small E-Sommet. I didn't even swing a leg over his Geometron as I hate long bikes but his Mrs had a smaller one that I did ride. it rode and fitted me pretty nice. (defeating Mr Porters entire vision somewhat :LOL: )

Point being Kenevos are also short. The E-sommet isn't
Yep the sommet is about 20 mm longer than the kenevo i

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I swapped out my fork for a new RC2 rather than alter the travel on the existing - The stock fork on the 2018 is 170MM with i believe a 42mm Offset, i got the 180mm with 46mm offset (rather than the 51mm option that RS offer). This actually means i have slightly reduced the trail/wheelbase. I personally would not want a slacker bike, as the terrain i mostly ride doesn't need it, and tbh i don't think i would want to ride anything slacker than the Vitus for an enduro/trail bike. Its about the most stable bike outside of a DH bike that i have ever pointed down town, and never once have i found it wanting in terms of stability or point and send it riding.

I think the 2019 Sommett is a bit slacker than the 2018 due to the custom offset on the fork next year, but without reading back through the vitus thread i cant be sure.

If i was set on buying a specilized, and especially a Kenevo, i would wait for the next generation which will probably be forthcoming towards the end of next year, as i reckon they will update the geo, and lob off a load of weight, hopefully creating something rather special.

Nov 20, 2018
iom
I swapped out my fork for a new RC2 rather than alter the travel on the existing - The stock fork on the 2018 is 170MM with i believe a 42mm Offset, i got the 180mm with 46mm offset (rather than the 51mm option that RS offer). This actually means i have slightly reduced the trail/wheelbase. I personally would not want a slacker bike, as the terrain i mostly ride doesn't need it, and tbh i don't think i would want to ride anything slacker than the Vitus for an enduro/trail bike. Its about the most stable bike outside of a DH bike that i have ever pointed down town, and never once have i found it wanting in terms of stability or point and send it riding.

I think the 2019 Sommett is a bit slacker than the 2018 due to the custom offset on the fork next year, but without reading back through the vitus thread i cant be sure.

If i was set on buying a specilized, and especially a Kenevo, i would wait for the next generation which will probably be forthcoming towards the end of next year, as i reckon they will update the geo, and lob off a load of weight, hopefully creating something rather special.
Thanks for the input, which size Vitus did you get? And what’s your height please

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, on the 2018 Sommett there is a flange at the bottom of the seat tube that prevents you fully slamming the seat tube - its supposedly there to prevent the post fouling the shock. I think they may have changed this on the 19, and @Gary has reamed his to get round this. However to get the correct raised saddle position for me, with the stock 150mm dropper post, i need it a few cm up from the lowest you can get it anyway - as per this pic

IMG_3094.jpg

Nov 20, 2018
iom
No, on the 2018 Sommett there is a flange at the bottom of the seat tube that prevents you fully slamming the seat tube - its supposedly there to prevent the post fouling the shock. I think they may have changed this on the 19, and @Gary has reamed his to get round this. However to get the correct raised saddle position for me, with the stock 150mm dropper post, i need it a few cm up from the lowest you can get it anyway - as per this pic

View attachment 7963
Ok thank you, I think that would probably bring the seat tube to the same length as an xl which is the size I am looking at

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah... @R120. I didn't ream it in the end. JT said there's no way they'd warranty it if I did and I don't fuly expect not to need that warranty. ;)
I just ended up fitting a 150 B-X Ascend dropper. (not the newest one)

2019 frames are apparently being reamed a little deeper

@al heginbotham
I'm 5'11" 33" inseam on a small E-Sommet
my 150mm B-X dropper can be inserted into the frame around an inch further than my ideal saddle height until it bottoms where the seat tube's reamed to. But fully slammed the actuator ends up mega close to the shock shaft and the cable is in danger of rubbing if not kinked enough.
170mm posts are obviously longer. (by more than just the extra 20mm travel)
Tried both a One-Up and B-X 170mm with no luck.
My 150mm Ascend drop is ~455mm
My 170mm Ascend XL drop is 498mm (Unused but kept as a spare for my Capra)
The One UP post 170mm post is longer than the above B-X (I forget by how much but One up don't measure the actuator in their length spec).
170mm reverb is listed as 480mm but that also doesn't take into account for the hose coupling etc. and is actually longer than both
I don't think any of those 170mm post would work even if I reamed my seat tube deeper due to shock clearance from the actuator/cable/hose

On the larger E-Sommet frames the insertion will still be limited by the seatpost/shock design rather than the seattube length so overall with a 33" inseam I don't see you being in luck finding a 170m dropper to fit.
It doesn't really matter though. I've never wanted more drop descending. Only manualling. And that's only because I'm a 4X/DJ hardtail/BMX rider too and used to a properly slammed* saddle well out of the way when manualling. I don't really use my rear brake when manualling either so tend to move fore and aft more than a rear brake dragging manualer would.

*To put that into perspective my hardtail has a 14" seat tube and 250mm drop dropper.

Nov 20, 2018
iom
Ok thanks I noticed on pictures of xl bikes the searpost is slammed to the collar, maybe the 2019 bike may take a 170? Hopefully

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't think you understood what I was saying.
Read it again. it's not the seat tube that limits dropper insertion length. it's the suspension design.

No matter how technical/steep 170mm drop isn't required for descending anything. it's just slightly nicer to have when jumping/manualling.

Nov 20, 2018
iom
I don't think you understood what I was saying.
Read it again. it's not the seat tube that limits dropper insertion length. it's the suspension design.

No matter how technical/steep 170mm drop isn't required for descending anything. it's just slightly nicer to have when jumping/manualling.
I understand however on the xl bikes the pictures of those bikes show the seat post inserted to the collar so therefore must be longer

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This is mine. (150mm B-X dropper) at pedalling height. Which is about an inch off full insertion.
1542807595645396441071.jpg

The taller seat tower isn't going to allow you to insert a post any further. Only less. (in the case of a Dropper with a shorter overall length).
A dropper post won't insert any deeper due to the seat tube being reamed to just below the main rocker pivot AND the shock sitting directly under the seat tube. (which is why th manufacturers were cautious not to ream it too deep.

Nov 20, 2018
iom
I get it, I want to choose my bike on reach not seat post length, in other words an xl isn’t really any taller than a large because the supplied 150 dropper ends up about the same height, 30 mm above the seat tube on a large or slammed on an xl or in your case about 70mm above the seat tube for a small. Thanks, check out the picture of the xl bike for reference above if that helps

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You actually don't get it at all.
i chose my bike based on reach too. The Small E-sommet is longer (in both reach and wheelbase) than any of my other (mainly medium) bikes. Though, coming from an old skool DH/DJ background I do prefer shorter bikes than most riders of my height.

Seat tube on the small is 382mm. Med 433mm, Large 483mm, XL 523mm

The underneath of the dropper post seal head in my pic above is 478mm from the centre of BB (distance from top of seat tube to underneath the seal head is 95mm)
Meaning neither the L or XL can have that same post inserted as low as either the Small or medium frame can.

I get that you like the super long reach on your Geometron but I'd have a think about whether you really do still want all that reach and wheelbase on a 51lb Ebike. The XL is a big ol bike

Nov 20, 2018
iom
I currently run my seat height at 520mm B.B. to underside of collar so an xl will be fine if the collar is slammed to the seat tube( I run a170) you run yours at 478mm from B.B. to underside of collar which means you could of rode different sized bikes with exactly the same seat height when lowered or raised my point being it doesn’t matter whether I ride a l or xl it’s the same seat height just a a bit longer reach which is what I definitely prefer.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah. Ok. Fair enough. seems like you've done your maths
you run yours at 478mm from B.B. to underside of collar which means you could of rode different sized bikes with exactly the same seat height when lowered or raised
I was forgetting that although we have the same inseam and similar heights it doesn't mean our set-up is necessarily even vaguely similar..
I could only have run a small or a medium with the same 150mm dropper and set-up I'm using now at the same height. dropper seal head slammed to the seatcollar the L would have worked out 5mm higher, XL 40mm higher Not a deal breaker for the large but I could only have ridden the XL if I rode SPDs with a level saddle which I don't. On all my mtbs I ride flats and prefer my saddle run nose tilted up. This means I run a considerably (40mm) lower saddle height on all mtbs than I do on my road bike (which has SPDs, 165mm cranks and saddle level)
The Medium has far too long reach for my riding preference anyway so obviously I'd have no interest in riding anything longer. You clearly have different preferences there too..

Out of interest which 170mm dropper do you run?

Nov 20, 2018
iom
Ah. Ok. Fair enough. seems like you've done your maths

I was forgetting that although we have the same inseam and similar heights it doesn't mean our set-up is necessarily even vaguely similar..
I could only have run a small or a medium with the same 150mm dropper and set-up I'm using now at the same height. dropper seal head slammed to the seatcollar the L would have worked out 5mm higher, XL 40mm higher Not a deal breaker for the large but I could only have ridden the XL if I rode SPDs with a level saddle which I don't. On all my mtbs I ride flats and prefer my saddle run nose tilted up. This means I run a considerably (40mm) lower saddle height on all mtbs than I do on my road bike (which has SPDs, 165mm cranks and saddle level)
The Medium has far too long reach for my riding preference anyway so obviously I'd have no interest in riding anything longer. You clearly have different preferences there too..

Out of interest which 170mm dropper do you run?
Fox transfer ith post has been reliable but I have replaced the cable twice once due to snapping and other for routine, activity I would prefer the lower large seat tube but I really like the reach number on the xl cheers

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The pnw cascade dropper might give more clearance with the cable going to the collar rather than the bottom. I think they’re the same cartridges as the brand x posts at CRC
CASCADE DROPPER POST

My 125 is lasting well. Shorter cranks will allow less insertion as well albeit not much

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles