Skybeamer price and availability

zaimuk

Feb 2, 2020
Lancing
Hello everyone.
I've been looking at getting the skybeamer 5000 and rear lights for my flyon xduro nduro 8.0 and so far finding it very frustrating on the availability. My lbs I bought the bike from originally told me it's going to cost roughly £500 when/ if they manage to get some.
I'm in the UK and there are a few sites selling the light but only to those who bought the bike from them. I've had the bike for 2 months now. I sent my lbs an email the other day asking for an update and for their opinion on the 300 lumens light. I had a reply saying that the light won't be bright enough and they are expecting delivery of the 5000 lumens light soon. The price? This is the funny part.... £750!!! Really?
So, is it really worth that much for the product? Any other suggestion for alternative lights? Maybe I don't really need 5000 lumens if I'm not going to ride the bike in total darkness. £750??!!!

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Looking at pics of the light it shows a plug already on the loom. If it's like the 2 Haibikes I have, there will be a loom inside the downtube that is accessible when the motor is lowered out the way, with a matching socket connector. My Haibikes didn't need any software update to switch the light function on like the Bosch system.

loomlight.jpg

zaimuk

Feb 2, 2020
Lancing
Hi
did you have any joy tracking a reasonably priced light down ?
Nothing as yet. Seems to impossible to find any detail in the uk. The one I found is for customer only. I definitely not going to try and it myself even if I can get the light separately.

zaimuk

Feb 2, 2020
Lancing
I havent seen any good beam shots or comparisons of the skybeamer which makes me hold back even if one is found
apparently it has 300 lumens on low beam and 5000 high beam thats a massive step down and it will be like switching the light of when going to low beam
i release the low beam will be stvzo approved so the beam image will be nice but stvzo will allow at least 1000 lumens on low beam so i think they missed a trick
availability is a cruncher at the moment thou
I'm going to hold off for now. Not that it will be used at the moment.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I havent seen any good beam shots or comparisons of the skybeamer which makes me hold back even if one is found
apparently it has 300 lumens on low beam and 5000 high beam thats a massive step down and it will be like switching the light of when going to low beam
i release the low beam will be stvzo approved so the beam image will be nice but stvzo will allow at least 1000 lumens on low beam so i think they missed a trick
availability is a cruncher at the moment thou

From memory, 300 lumens is the maximum street legal brightness for use on the roads in Germany. Haibike is a German make and they will need to be able sell the bike with street legal lights in accordance with the StVO to their local market.

I have a Hope R8+ and find that I ride on the road with the lowest setting (150 lumens) so as not to infuriate oncoming traffic. That level of lighting fine for road riding.

[Edit: StVZO has been updated and 300 lumen is no longer the limit. My memory might be correct - but the facts are well out of date. Please disregard the above]

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
HI
the stvzo is at least 900 lumens low beam as the sl lupine light has full stvzo approval and is a 900 lumen lamp on low beam
also exposure have just sent there allterrain lamp off for approval at 1000 lumens on dip i dont think they would have it that doesnt fall into stvzo specs
The r8+ is a fine light ive had one but does not put light where you need it for road riding like the lupine sl af does at 1000 lumen low beam it has a perfect beam pattern cut off just like a car so has no oncoming dazzle at all
for me this is the minimum dip level of light as i live in the country and theres no street lighting on 80% of my commute but i do encounter a lot of oncoming traffic
So for me yes there have dropped the ball massively with the 300 lumens

Thanks for the correction. I'm well out of date. I left Germany at the end of 2014. Just checked and find that the StVZO for bike lights was changed in 2017 and again in 2019.

It was a relief when I left Germany to be able to find lights over the maximum of 300 lumen. Looks like the regulations finally caught up with real world use.

Point taken about the difference between the lupine versus R8+. I only do around 500m of road before hitting the tracks and a 2.2 km road to get back into town afterwards, so not a similar use scenario.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Have you purchased one now? If so has it got a plug on the end? Can you take a picture?

Though as I said earlier in the thread last April there will be a spare socket in the loom to connect to that you'll find if you drop the motor and examine the loom.

Mike5705

Jul 7, 2020
North Yorkshire
I originally thought that but i didn't have anything small enough to open it up. The shop that sold me it told me it was in frame behind the grills. Its disappointing the front and rear lights have no fitting instructions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles