Silly questions maybe !

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Hi all, I'm a newbie to this site and to emtb in general. Having said that I have been researching which will be my 1st emtb and the components involved. I keep reading about the brose s motor being top of the list so was aiming for that as a starting point... does anyone know the make and model of e mtb's with these motors ... budget about 4k ish ... I have googled bikes with brose motors but wanted more individual info from people who may actually have rode or own one.
Cheers guys

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Spesh are the obvious choice here and have the lion's share of the market for good reason. Fantic use Brose, but don't have the connectivity of the Spesh. What sort of riding will you be doing?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Tested a Brose bought a shimano , after reading lots of tests .of e bikes in general Not knocking the Brose , but I didn’t find many tests where it came out in top , it’s certainly the quietest , but was by far the weakest I have ridden and only really one make to choose from, I agree with doomanic spesh do have the lions share of the market , but I think the good reason is people don’t or can’t look at the competition .

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Spesh are the obvious choice here and have the lion's share of the market for good reason. Fantic use Brose, but don't have the connectivity of the Spesh. What sort of riding will you be doing?
Do you mean specialized when you say spesh?
My riding will be light to start but will be doing days out riding on and off road .

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Tested a Brose bought a shimano , after reading lots of tests .of e bikes in general Not knocking the Brose , but I didn’t find many tests where it came out in top , it’s certainly the quietest , but was by far the weakest I have ridden and only really one make to choose from, I agree with doomanic spesh do have the lions share of the market , but I think the good reason is people don’t or can’t look at the competition .
Thanks for the reply .. what's your thoughts on the Bosch cx motor

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
I did try the Bosch motor on a Trek I had out on test, it was a decent bike but couldn't live with the noise of the motor to be honest. Went for a 2018 Levo after riding a mate's 2017 one, zero regrets so far. I have been riding "normal" MTBs for 30 years, not as light as I once was, I'm 110kg but am finding the Levo with Brose motor fantastic with all the default settings and specs, I really cannot fault it at the moment, although I am keeping an open mind that things may crop up in the future, I've broken enough bikes in my time! Did a ride again today and barely used the Turbo mode, but when I did it was for stupid climbs I would have had to walk up on my hardtail, it certainly had enough power to get my carcass up!

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Thanks for the reply .. I'll look into the levo..
Been watching quite a few videos on YouTube.. so heard so many pros and cons for every motor ... think I need to spend a day down the bike shop and do a few test runs .

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
I'd certainly recommend taking a few different bikes out on trails you know to get a feel for what works for you. There are plenty more options out there, most likely even better than the Specialized options, I just had to dive in at some point and the Levo fitted my preferences and budget at the time, I'm happy for now but the way things are developing can certainly see myself moving to something else in a couple of years, technology developments being what it is. I've hopped between brands many times over the years, not loyal to anyone :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In terms of using the Brose motor, the other brand worth looking at is Rotwild, though I think only one dealer in UK.

At the moment there is no one ‘best’ motor.

The Shimano and Brose are the most recently updated, so the Bosch is lacking a bit behind in terms of development.

Buying an ebike is not all about the motor though, the most important thing is a bike that fits and works for you, just like any other bike. Now that bike could have any motor!

Test ride as many as you can.

A lot of people go for the Levo because it’s a safe bet, a good bike from a big brand with a big dealer network, and it won’t be a bad decision if you get one and can’t be bothered to look at alternatives.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Tbh I think that's my best bet .. try a few out then dive in and buy the one that suits me at the time...
Doesn't hurt to hear from riders who have prob rode most e mtb's at some point
Cheers

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
what's your thoughts on the Bosch cx motor
I have a Trek with the Bosch CX motor. It's awesome. It's old school in comparison to the Shimano and the Brose. The Brose feels more natural than the Bosch (I haven't ridden a Shimano yet), which leads to the underpowered comments; at 90 Nm it's actually the most torquey motor available at the moment. The Bosh power delivery is more in your face, which I like; I didn't buy an eBike to have it feel like a normal bike.

That being said, unless the deal was absolutely stonking, I wouldn't buy a Bosch-motored eBike at the moment. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and is due an upgrade. It's noisier than the others (although I was riding alongside a Pivot recently and the noise from the Shimano motor in that drowned out the noise of the Bosch!), most of which is down to the internal gearbox which doesn't decouple when not in use meaning it's like pedaling in treacle when not assisted. It's not as tuneable as the Shimano motor or the Specialized version of the Brose motor either, so they have some catching up to do.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
In terms of using the Brose motor, the other brand worth looking at is Rotwild, though I think only one dealer in UK.

At the moment there is no one ‘best’ motor.

The Shimano and Brose are the most recently updated, so the Bosch is lacking a bit behind in terms of development.

Buying an ebike is not all about the motor though, the most important thing is a bike that fits and works for you, just like any other bike. Now that bike could have any motor!

Test ride as many as you can.

A lot of people go for the Levo because it’s a safe bet, a good bike from a big brand with a big dealer network, and it won’t be a bad decision if you get one and can’t be bothered to look at alternatives.
Yeah I keep hearing about levo, I'll try to get a test ride asap .
Cheers

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi Dave

Bosch is a very nice motor, when it's not eating drive side bearings, it has plenty of power and the EMTB mode is really good, It does not integrate into the chassis as well as the Shimano or Brose power unit's do.

The size and layout of the Bosch motor dictates the overall geometry and so all E-mtb's that use the CX motor will have relatively long chainstays and are therefore not quite as nimble as bikes using Shimano or Brose.

Bosch batteries are very good and offer great range. Generally they are pretty reliable, mine served me very well for 2500 miles and is still going strong with it's new owner, however far too many CX unit's have had to replaced and I know of a few owners who have had two replacement motors within the 2 year warranty period. It has to be said Bosch are very good with their warranties.

Right here, right now I personally think it's between the Shimano E8000 and the Brose, And of the two it is no secret that I prefer the Shimano power unit, Mine is just coming up to a 1000 miles and it has been faultless, the system as a whole is extremely well thought out, designed and built. It really is a quality bit of kit.

Late this year you will be able to add Fazua to your list, this one could be a real game changer.

Most everyone will wax lyrical about the particular brand they own so IMHO, you really would do well to test all the different systems for yourself and make your own mind up before you make any final decision. :)

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I have a Trek with the Bosch CX motor. It's awesome. It's old school in comparison to the Shimano and the Brose. The Brose feels more natural than the Bosch (I haven't ridden a Shimano yet), which leads to the underpowered comments; at 90 Nm it's actually the most torquey motor available at the moment. The Bosh power delivery is more in your face, which I like; I didn't buy an eBike to have it feel like a normal bike.

That being said, unless the deal was absolutely stonking, I wouldn't buy a Bosch-motored eBike at the moment. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and is due an upgrade. It's noisier than the others (although I was riding alongside a Pivot recently and the noise from the Shimano motor in that drowned out the noise of the Bosch!), most of which is down to the internal gearbox which doesn't decouple when not in use meaning it's like pedaling in treacle when not assisted. It's not as tuneable as the Shimano motor or the Specialized version of the Brose motor either, so they have some catching up to do.
I've been reading the same about Bosch.. loud and needs updating ... also I think the gearbox not fully decoupling might be enough to put me off that motor.
The 1 emtb I have rode was a trek with a Bosch motor . I didn't think it was noisy but I didn't have any other bike to compare it to as the 6 people riding in the group had identical bikes to me lol .

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Hi Dave

Bosch is a very nice motor, when it's not eating drive side bearings, it has plenty of power and the EMTB mode is really good, It does not integrate into the chassis as well as the Shimano or Brose power unit's do.

The size and layout of the Bosch motor dictates the overall geometry and so all E-mtb's that use the CX motor will have relatively long chainstays and are therefore not quite as nimble as bikes using Shimano or Brose.

Bosch batteries are very good and offer great range. Generally they are pretty reliable, mine served me very well for 2500 miles and is still going strong with it's new owner, however far too many CX unit's have had to replaced and I know of a few owners who have had two replacement motors within the 2 year warranty period. It has to be said Bosch are very good with their warranties.

Right here, right now I personally think it's between the Shimano E8000 and the Brose, And of the two it is no secret that I prefer the Shimano power unit, Mine is just coming up to a 1000 miles and it has been faultless, the system as a whole is extremely well thought out, designed and built. It really is a quality bit of kit.

Late this year you will be able to add Fazua to your list, this one could be a real game changer.

Most everyone will wax lyrical about the particular brand they own so IMHO, you really would do well to test all the different systems for yourself and make your own mind up before you make any final decision. :)
Thanks for the reply .. not heard of fazua so will take a look at those defiantly
Now I need to start researching bike shops near to me and start bugging them about trying out there bikes
Thanks again for the info

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Focus bikes worth looking at too, I'm impressed with their current stable, very nice and decently priced. Tempted to get one of their hardtails for winter/potholed road ride usage...!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

There’s others here that know more about the Bosch , and I think it’s probably been the most used motor in emtb , I tested it back to back with the Brose riding with a demmo Levo and friends who had Bosch motors . I just couldn’t keep up . The Bosch had lots more go , not just a bit A lot . However I didn’t like the power delivery of the Bosch , and I didn’t like the feel of the bikes iether , coming from a normal pedal bike , the Brose motor has a more natural feel than the Bosch , as does the shimano , I also find every one I know has had a new Bosch motor under warranty , the warranty is great , but they all seem to suffer the same early bearing failure .
I then started looking at geometry , I wanted something that was as close as possible to a non electric enduro bike , after looking about , and knowing what makes do well in normal bikes I looked closely at manufacturers who had built e bikes , with the exception of spesh , who’s bikes do have a very similar geo and ride to thier well acclaimed models , the only other manufacturers I could find that were basically making an electric version of their top models were all using shimano motors. It’s a very compact neat motor that manufacturers are obviously favouring because they can build the right bike around it . For me it had the right amount of controls and display , and the tests I read talked as much about the bikes as the motor .
There seems to be more choices arriving all the time .
It seemed to me shimano sat back and watched the ebike market evolve , and arrived later to the show with a well honed product that would resolve many of problems with making ebikes that ride that normal bikes .
The first deal breaker for me with spesh apart the lack of power on my test ride was a total lack of control or information on the handlebars , pushing buttons on the side of the frame to change modes was a no go for me , and I wanted to use two batteries so an integrated battery was a no go too .
Just my reasons and choosing process Iam sure others choose from another angle that is just as valid. Such as dealer back up and test ride availability etc .

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
I am in a similar situation as you..researching far to much but I am in no rush at all.
I do like the brose motor for its very quiet I've only ridden a levo borrowed from a mate.
The options at present with the brose motor all seem to be brands that don't have a big network in UK which Has stalled my quest a bit.
I really liked the bulls e stream AM 4 on looks and the bigger battery but the nearest shop is miles away.
So really personally I'd like to choose an alternative to the norm but will this create more problems if things go down the pan and warranty work is needed
I am looking mainly for 150 mm travel as I will use for commuting also but however them long travel bikes are becoming a right temptation ....So yes am back to square 1 I hope you find what your looking for my search continues

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
@Kernow Spot on about the frame buttons for changing modes, I could not have lived with that but the 2018 has the handlebar mounted changer, works great. I'm not finding any issues with power, but (and don't mean to sound an arse) I am in reasonable shape still and do prefer the natural feel of the assistance, I do run in mostly in Eco, as I like a workout still, it's just there to give me a parachute up when I need it or feel lazy. So fitness does still come into it I guess, different strokes for different folks :)

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I am in a similar situation as you..researching far to much but I am in no rush at all.
I do like the brose motor for its very quiet I've only ridden a levo borrowed from a mate.
The options at present with the brose motor all seem to be brands that don't have a big network in UK which Has stalled my quest a bit.
I really liked the bulls e stream AM 4 on looks and the bigger battery but the nearest shop is miles away.
So really personally I'd like to choose an alternative to the norm but will this create more problems if things go down the pan and warranty work is needed
I am looking mainly for 150 mm travel as I will use for commuting also but however them long travel bikes are becoming a right temptation ....So yes am back to square 1 I hope you find what your looking for my search continues
Hi there .. I too am not in any rush to buy but want to make sure I get the best product for my dosh .. I live in the Midlands area so I believe Birmingham is a good place to start looking at bikes in shops and trying them out .

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
There’s others here that know more about the Bosch , and I think it’s probably been the most used motor in emtb , I tested it back to back with the Brose riding with a demmo Levo and friends who had Bosch motors . I just couldn’t keep up . The Bosch had lots more go , not just a bit A lot . However I didn’t like the power delivery of the Bosch , and I didn’t like the feel of the bikes iether , coming from a normal pedal bike , the Brose motor has a more natural feel than the Bosch , as does the shimano , I also find every one I know has had a new Bosch motor under warranty , the warranty is great , but they all seem to suffer the same early bearing failure .
I then started looking at geometry , I wanted something that was as close as possible to a non electric enduro bike , after looking about , and knowing what makes do well in normal bikes I looked closely at manufacturers who had built e bikes , with the exception of spesh , who’s bikes do have a very similar geo and ride to thier well acclaimed models , the only other manufacturers I could find that were basically making an electric version of their top models were all using shimano motors. It’s a very compact neat motor that manufacturers are obviously favouring because they can build the right bike around it . For me it had the right amount of controls and display , and the tests I read talked as much about the bikes as the motor .
There seems to be more choices arriving all the time .
It seemed to me shimano sat back and watched the ebike market evolve , and arrived later to the show with a well honed product that would resolve many of problems with making ebikes that ride that normal bikes .
The first deal breaker for me with spesh apart the lack of power on my test ride was a total lack of control or information on the handlebars , pushing buttons on the side of the frame to change modes was a no go for me , and I wanted to use two batteries so an integrated battery was a no go too .
Just my reasons and choosing process Iam sure others choose from another angle that is just as valid. Such as dealer back up and test ride availability etc .
Yes I know what you mean by lack of display on the handle bars on the specialized tbh I feel the same about that as you. I've noticed the Bosch system is looking really good as far as the display goes .. loads of info.. not sure about brose display though !

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I live in the Midlands area
Midlands is pretty big, but if you are anywhere near Stourbridge there's www.racecouk.com and www.twowheelscycles.com

I bought my Trek from Two Wheels Stourbridge. It's an old school bike shop, not flash, but good, knowledgeable staff. They had Fantics in stock last time I was there.
Raceco is a lot flasher and has a lot of eBikes, including the Pivot Shuttle.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Midlands is pretty big, but if you are anywhere near Stourbridge there's www.racecouk.com and www.twowheelscycles.com

I bought my Trek from Two Wheels Stourbridge. It's an old school bike shop, not flash, but good, knowledgeable staff. They had Fantics in stock last time I was there.
Raceco is a lot flasher and has a lot of eBikes, including the Pivot Shuttle.
Cheers will defo take a look ...I'm on the outskirts of coventry towards Leicester.. and have worked in stourbridge . Thanks for the links

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Whatever you do be sure to find a shop that can demonstrate several makes and in assorted sizes as I wish I had been able to test medium and large of 2/3 makes ...the shop I used claimed to have the largest selection in the area. But on reflection they did not.
I can understand the small inventory as the outlay for a retailer is very high .
Bought a Focus Jam which I love. But next bike will have fullsize battery and a GEARBOX.....I am begining to feel sorry for my derailleur hanging down there in the dirt
One feature to consider is the height of the “D” above the ground I note that some appear to be higher than mine...
What ever you buy you will LOVE it
Have fun.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Whatever you do be sure to find a shop that can demonstrate several makes and in assorted sizes as I wish I had been able to test medium and large of 2/3 makes ...the shop I used claimed to have the largest selection in the area. But on reflection they did not.
I can understand the small inventory as the outlay for a retailer is very high .
Bought a Focus Jam which I love. But next bike will have fullsize battery and a GEARBOX.....I am begining to feel sorry for my derailleur hanging down there in the dirt
One feature to consider is the height of the “D” above the ground I note that some appear to be higher than mine...
What ever you buy you will LOVE it
Have fun.
Thanks for the info . Believe me I won't part with a penny of my dosh until I'm satisfied that I've got the right bike for me .. even if I have to ride every dam bike in the shop and get a sore bum doing it lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles