Silly questions maybe !

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
No problem...I couldn't see the bike I liked on there website but you may find something you like ...keep us posted once you've visited[/QUOTE
Just took a quick look at a shop in Leicester, the rotwild bikes look good at first glance

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
With regards to test rides, www.rutlandcycling.com offer 48hr test rides for £50 including delivery and collection. You then get £50 off a new bike if you decide to buy from them. @Rob Hancill and @galaga187 have both used the service.

The beauty of this is it allows you ride a potential purchase on trails you are familiar with and in a variety of different locations. @galaga187 rode his demo Levo on his local trails, Bike Park Wales and the Forest of Dean so he certainly got his money's worth. Riding on familiar trails is, in my opinion, invaluable as it allows you to concentrate on how the bike handles, not what the terrain is doing next.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
With regards to test rides, www.rutlandcycling.com offer 48hr test rides for £50 including delivery and collection. You then get £50 off a new bike if you decide to buy from them. @Rob Hancill and @galaga187 have both used the service.

The beauty of this is it allows you ride a potential purchase on trails you are familiar with and in a variety of different locations. @galaga187 rode his demo Levo on his local trails, Bike Park Wales and the Forest of Dean so he certainly got his money's worth. Riding on familiar trails is, in my opinion, invaluable as it allows you to concentrate on how the bike handles, not what the terrain is doing next.
Thanks for that, had no idea that was possible .. definatly going to try that

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also their are no stupid questions!

One main thing to consider when buying an e-bike, is where do you keep it and where can you charge the battery?

If you cant charge the battery where you keep the bike, then you are going to want one which has an easily removable battery.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Rutland were excellent and Luke has kept in touch since the demo. I am now set on a Levo having tried several brands and also kenevo

Will wait to see what 2019 models bring though.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
@Kernow Spot on about the frame buttons for changing modes, I could not have lived with that but the 2018 has the handlebar mounted changer, works great. I'm not finding any issues with power, but (and don't mean to sound an arse) I am in reasonable shape still and do prefer the natural feel of the assistance, I do run in mostly in Eco, as I like a workout still, it's just there to give me a parachute up when I need it or feel lazy. So fitness does still come into it I guess, different strokes for different folks :)

Good they have sorted the buttons , on the handlebars , my comments on power are only based on the one demmo Bike i had , perhaps it was not a good one or needed update etc , i know there’s a newer updated motor in the more recent bikes . I agree power isn’t everything , like you I like a workout and do most riding in eco . And rarely use boost often to get the miles from the battery . I wish there was a lower mode than eco for riding with normal bikes and doing longer rides , had I not compared the Bosch to the brose on the same day I would have been perfectly happy with the Brose , it was the quietest of all the motors and just as smooth and seamless with no drag etc same as the shimano .

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
I wish there was a lower mode than eco for riding with normal bikes and doing longer rides ,

You can tailor Eco (or any of the modes) to whatever power you like, anything from 0-100% assistance, using the free app.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Really like the set up in this bike .. it's definatly tickled my fancy and bang on budget ... what does everyone think ?

http://justebikes.co.uk/product/rotwild-c-full-suspension-27-5-pro/

it’s a nice light trail bike spec , conti x king race light tyres ? They aren’t up to ebike for sure , but tyres are easily changed , full Xt is probably cheapest and easy to maintain and IMO the best .
It’s hard to compare the price because your paying for a very high tech frame , there’s higher spec available for the price but mainly in suspension and longer travel heavier bikes made for tougher use . I bet it’s s lot cheaper than a Levo with similar spec , and I would guess that’s its nearest rival .

Last edited:

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
it’s a nice light trail bike spec , conti x king race light tyres ? They aren’t up to ebike for sure , but tyres are easily changed , full Xt is probably cheapest and easy to maintain and IMO the best .
It’s hard to compare the price because your paying for a very high tech frame , there’s higher spec available for the price but mainly in suspension and longer travel heavier bikes made for tougher use . I bet it’s s lot cheaper than a Levo with similar spec , and I would guess that’s its nearest rival .
Thanks for the info ... I did notice it was also a 2016 model .. so will compare to 2018 model on components and price ... Thanks again

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Thanks for the reply .. the link was an interesting read. .. I'm going to spend a day in the justebike store in Leicester very soon and basically ride every dam bike in the store .. and see what I can get ... I do like the design of the rotwild though .
Also if they do not have the model I want I was pointed to a place which does a 48 hour test ride so there are lots of options ahead of me yet .

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Thanks for the reply .. the link was an interesting read. .. I'm going to spend a day in the justebike store in Leicester very soon and basically ride every dam bike in the store .. and see what I can get ... I do like the design of the rotwild though .
See if they have the newer bulls e stream evo A.m 4 ....it's a mouthful I know the one I've seen is a nice stealthy black and not many reviews on you tube this bike also has the brose motor
There is also a 3 which is nice also

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Not in shimano , you can change the other modes but not eco .

You were referring to Brose though weren't you? I can tune my Eco mode however I want, up to 90%, on a Brose. Apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
See if they have the newer bulls e stream evo A.m 4 ....it's a mouthful I know the one I've seen is a nice stealthy black and not many reviews on you tube this bike also has the brose motor
There is also a 3 which is nice also
Thanks for the info .. Really like this bike .. just done a search for it but couldn't see a price ... looks really nice though .. love the dark paint work .

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
There’s others here that know more about the Bosch , and I think it’s probably been the most used motor in emtb , I tested it back to back with the Brose riding with a demmo Levo and friends who had Bosch motors . I just couldn’t keep up . The Bosch had lots more go , not just a bit A lot . However I didn’t like the power delivery of the Bosch , and I didn’t like the feel of the bikes iether , coming from a normal pedal bike , the Brose motor has a more natural feel than the Bosch , as does the shimano , I also find every one I know has had a new Bosch motor under warranty , the warranty is great , but they all seem to suffer the same early bearing failure .
I then started looking at geometry , I wanted something that was as close as possible to a non electric enduro bike , after looking about , and knowing what makes do well in normal bikes I looked closely at manufacturers who had built e bikes , with the exception of spesh , who’s bikes do have a very similar geo and ride to thier well acclaimed models , the only other manufacturers I could find that were basically making an electric version of their top models were all using shimano motors. It’s a very compact neat motor that manufacturers are obviously favouring because they can build the right bike around it . For me it had the right amount of controls and display , and the tests I read talked as much about the bikes as the motor .
There seems to be more choices arriving all the time .
It seemed to me shimano sat back and watched the ebike market evolve , and arrived later to the show with a well honed product that would resolve many of problems with making ebikes that ride that normal bikes .
The first deal breaker for me with spesh apart the lack of power on my test ride was a total lack of control or information on the handlebars , pushing buttons on the side of the frame to change modes was a no go for me , and I wanted to use two batteries so an integrated battery was a no go too .
Just my reasons and choosing process Iam sure others choose from another angle that is just as valid. Such as dealer back up and test ride availability etc .

I had ALL the same reasoning as you in my choice of eBike.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I had ALL the same reasoning as you in my choice of eBike.
Interesting , what bike did you buy ? ?
I should have added I then worked out my budget and set about looking for the best spec for my budget in an enduro bike , at the time commencal stood out way above the rest in the €4500-5000 price bracket , in the same way the vitus and canyon etc do at other price points . I would imagine with the extra discount if you can visit the commencal shop to purchase they must sell a lot in Spain France and maybe Portugal , exchange rate didn’t help here but it was still way better price /spec than anything else

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Interesting , what bike did you buy ? ?
I should have added I then worked out my budget and set about looking for the best spec for my budget in an enduro bike , at the time commencal stood out way above the rest in the €4500-5000 price bracket , in the same way the vitus and canyon etc do at other price points . I would imagine with the extra discount if you can visit the commencal shop to purchase they must sell a lot in Spain France and maybe Portugal , exchange rate didn’t help here but it was still way better price /spec than anything else

I went for a Merida eONE-SIXTY 900e mainly because of equipment that was (for my liking) spot on, for its great reviews as an enduro bike with great feel for descending and for the price that is a great value for the equipment it brings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles