Show us your Whyte bits

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I’ve slogged up and down that horror show more than I care to remember. ‘Orrible!

For training in the armed forces or just for your own pleasure? If you can call it that haha.
It was a perfect day for it yesterday, no wind and a clear sky. Put a nasty ding in my rear rim on the way down though?.

EchoLima21

Jan 8, 2021
Surrey, Uk
For training in the armed forces or just for your own pleasure? If you can call it that haha.
It was a perfect day for it yesterday, no wind and a clear sky. Put a nasty ding in my rear rim on the way down though?.
Zero pleasure and home to a genuine all four seasons in one day experience!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
So the standard jockey wheels were worn. Couldn't resist adding a bit of colour. ??

IMG_20210415_194244.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Loving the E180 RS! I admit I am still learning with this bike because it is so different to my Levo Comp. Today I did a range of gravity runs and singletrack in the forest that I am very familiar with and it included some techy climbs. I feel that I now have the measure of the bike because I cleared all the climbs, jumped the bike better than before, and gained more speed and control on the twisty singletrack through trees runs.

Two things I noticed today..........be interested to hear from others.
1. Whereas in trail on the Levo I invariably stay in a mid cassette gear most of the time, I found myself changing gear quite a lot using the EMTB mode of the Whyte.
2. I really noticed how much smoother and quicker gear change was on the X01 set up than the GX ( 11 speed) on the Levo.....AND ..it felt to me like the motor took a breath when I changed gear, which made it almost seamless and negated the need to stop pedalling or at least greatly reduce torque. My imagination??

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
regarding 2, i still back off when changing gears as much as i can in emtb mode due to the power it can put through and potentially snap the chain.

It's by a country mile the best bike i've owned and it fills me with confidence on the majority of trails. It does make the more tame trails (sherwood pines) a bit on the boring side but i'd rather have the feeling of stability when it gets tougher. Everyone i've let have a shot has loved it and when i'm on their bikes now i just feel like the front end is too light and prone to getting knocked off line (orange five, yeti sb140/150)

the ONLY thing i really don't like about the bike is the battery removal process but this was something i chose to accept from the start. If it's anything like mine keep an eye on the crank bolts as i had one loosen up on me and fall off. i now carry spares and tools just in case :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
regarding 2, i still back off when changing gears as much as i can in emtb mode due to the power it can put through and potentially snap the chain.

It's by a country mile the best bike i've owned and it fills me with confidence on the majority of trails. It does make the more tame trails (sherwood pines) a bit on the boring side but i'd rather have the feeling of stability when it gets tougher. Everyone i've let have a shot has loved it and when i'm on their bikes now i just feel like the front end is too light and prone to getting knocked off line (orange five, yeti sb140/150)

the ONLY thing i really don't like about the bike is the battery removal process but this was something i chose to accept from the start. If it's anything like mine keep an eye on the crank bolts as i had one loosen up on me and fall off. i now carry spares and tools just in case :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the heads up on the cranks. I have not used a spanner on the bike yet but having covered 250 trail miles I am about to give it a thorough checkover and also check my original suspension settings/sag etc.

I totally recognise your comment about easy rides ( I call them pedal rides!). The bike seems bored! I much prefer to use my Levo for those types of ride. The Whyte wakes up when the going gets rough!!

Most of my rides consist going to a forest a doing as many downhill runs as I can find....often sessioning them to refine lines etc. So I tend not to rack up a lot of mileage per ride, but virtually every mile is downhill apart from getting back to the trail head.

Yesterday I did a new run we had found a week earlier. On that occasion I was on the Levo. It consists 3 sections, the first being a very steep descent with little grip and narrow gaps through trees, then a drop off as the second leading into a deep gulley with the middle being the only safe line. On the Levo it was leary!! My mate on his Levo crashed in the gulley resulting in an OTB and faceplant which ripped his helmet off and left him with a marked forehead and a stiff neck. His glasses disappeared somewhere in the undergrowth. So yesterday I was riding solo and thought I would see how well the Whyte coped. It was much easier.........with the Purion on the bars I was able to see the speed. Despite the short anchors on steep run in, the speed in the bottom of the gulley was 27kph.
Re my comment on the motor appearing to depower when changing gears, thinking about it now I think it may be due to the fact that in anything other than turbo there is absolutely no overrun, so as soon as the motor feels the lack of torque as the chain changes cog it backs off. That is very different to my Levo where in trail I have to soft pedal or stop pedalling for a good 1.5/2 seconds to allow the motor to back off.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks for the heads up on the cranks. I have not used a spanner on the bike yet but having covered 250 trail miles I am about to give it a thorough checkover and also check my original suspension settings/sag etc.

I totally recognise your comment about easy rides ( I call them pedal rides!). The bike seems bored! I much prefer to use my Levo for those types of ride. The Whyte wakes up when the going gets rough!!

Most of my rides consist going to a forest a doing as many downhill runs as I can find....often sessioning them to refine lines etc. So I tend not to rack up a lot of mileage per ride, but virtually every mile is downhill apart from getting back to the trail head.

Yesterday I did a new run we had found a week earlier. On that occasion I was on the Levo. It consists 3 sections, the first being a very steep descent with little grip and narrow gaps through trees, then a drop off as the second leading into a deep gulley with the middle being the only safe line. On the Levo it was leary!! My mate on his Levo crashed in the gulley resulting in an OTB and faceplant which ripped his helmet off and left him with a marked forehead and a stiff neck. His glasses disappeared somewhere in the undergrowth. So yesterday I was riding solo and thought I would see how well the Whyte coped. It was much easier.........with the Purion on the bars I was able to see the speed. Despite the short anchors on steep run in, the speed in the bottom of the gulley was 27kph.
Re my comment on the motor appearing to depower when changing gears, thinking about it now I think it may be due to the fact that in anything other than turbo there is absolutely no overrun, so as soon as the motor feels the lack of torque as the chain changes cog it backs off. That is very different to my Levo where in trail I have to soft pedal or stop pedalling for a good 1.5/2 seconds to allow the motor to back off.
Checked out the bike today...cranks are fine! The fork and shock had both lost a little pressure which is not surprising after 250 miles. All good apart from that.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Chips on pizza? How very decadent! I hope there was some meat buried under all that potato.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
What goes up ……

3FEFE6CB-BF62-44DA-B5A0-3C52B1F9A276.jpeg

Must come down…..,..

948EDA32-F978-40FA-853E-BF9164C1C87C.jpeg

Look closely above my saddle in the first pic and you’ll see the track I came up. That was only 2/3rds of the way the top of the hill in the second picture.
Second photo was taken about 1/3 of the way down when I stopped to check GPS as track split unexpectedly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles