Shortening the total drop range on a dropper post

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
My bike came with a 150mm dropper post, which is way more than I need. I'm 5'11" with 31" inseam. At the bottom of the stroke, the bike is completely unridable. I have the top of the stroke set up to be my ideal pedaling height (and still tuning that). I'd like to limit the drop for two reasons, and wonder if I can just put a spacer of some kind over the drop tube. Or is there something premade for this that I can buy?

The reasons... I'd rather not have to think about the lower position when I'm falling into the situation where I need it. I know, I should plan better and have more skills, but then here is reality. Secondly I'm going to install a wired tail light that may have some interference with my bag/seat at full drop.

My previous/other bikes have had 100-110mm which was plenty.

N.R.G.

Nov 17, 2022
Hampshire
Have a look at these

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Oh, that's awesome. It would have let me re-use one of my seat bags instead of buying a new one that didn't need the front strap, sigh.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Y'know how when you ask a question, and some fool answers you, but he doesn't even address the question you asked? I HATE that. Nevertheless, I'm gonna do it.

When you say that the bike isn't "rideable" with the seat lowered? Do you mean that you can't sit your ass on the saddle and pedal? That's ok. No one can. When the seat's lowered and you need to get in some pedaling, do it while standing.

Keep the saddle up when you're riding the easy stuff. When the going gets a little curvy or chunky, but you still need to pedal a bit, lower the saddle a couple inches.

But when the trail gods start giving you serious tech, chunk, high-speed flow, and switchbacks, that's when you want to slam that saddle down and get it as far away from your butt and legs as possible. The idea is to get the saddle out of the way, so it doesn't interfere with your ability to lean the bike, and to keep it from hitting your body and throwing you off balance. When the going gets difficult, control the bike with your hands and feet. Your butt has nothing to do with it.

If this is any help, I'm 5' 11". For those who prefer the metric system, that's 17.3 hands. Inseam is 32". My bikes have 185mm and 198mm droppers, and sometimes I'd like more.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I certainly am open to the fact that I'm doing it wrong. I'm not sure I can change. When slammed, it's just not usable for me, at all. I rarely stand (yes, again, I know I'm wrong) and when I do, I really don't want the seat far away. You are right, and I'm wrong, but I'm going to roll with what I can do.

Edit to add: I'm a lifelong motorcyclist, and standing on a motorcycle has the seat right there, where you can use your knees to control the bike. This is a difficult thing to break as I've been doing it for 50 years. It's just what my brain does.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@SwampNut I get the learned body position and auto response thing that you just cannot change, I really do. It's why I cannot bunny hop! No matter how many times I read how to do it, watch how to do it, try to do it..... I just can't! :( I've even paid for courses and I still can't do it!!! :mad:

So, I have a lot of sympathy for your position. But I just cannot understand how you can stay physically seated on your bike when riding over rough terrain. I would get thrown clean off the bike! My first bad off was on my first mtb (a hardtail) I went OTB on a steep gravel and cinder trail on my 2nd trip out. I went over a hollow with my arse firmly planted on the saddle and the rear wheel rose up and threw me clean off the bike. I still bear the scars to my knees and elbows; the helmet was written off and my spectacles made my face bleed. That taught me to keep my arse clear of the saddle when traversing rough ground or descending.

Actually, there is a way I can visualise it. If you go really slow. But where is the fun in that? :unsure:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Interesting question, I guess I don't know an answer other than "lots of suspension." On my Amish hardtail I did have to stand a lot in the same trails. I hated that and felt out of control. I suppose this may explain why I've chased the dragon of top end suspension. Currently on Ohlins with dual damping settings and dual air chambers.

I stand for very short periods over the worse parts, not long enough to push the seat away, and I use/abuse the seat as a control surface, just like on a motorcycle.

I'm enjoying the conversation and it will help me try new things when I ride.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Thought about it a lot on some really rocky terrain today, I guess I just have/need great suspension? I have been knocked out of the seat on a hard rocky ascent though, so I'm listening and thinking.

Today on a 1k foot climb, I came across a woman on an Amish bike who had to push it part of the way, because her post failed and would just drop. The clip thing above makes note that it can also be used as an emergency fix for this, and today, I saw how it would help in real life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles