Wireless dropper question...

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I am considering the Reverb AXS dropper. But, what do you do with the cable housing? Let it hang there? Remove it?? I am a bit leary of removing it in case the new dropper has issues. And, if you want the cable dropper, how difficult is it to re- install a new cable and housing in a Trek rail? Love the idea of the wireless dropper, just some concerns.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
One of the reasons I installed the AXS dropper and derailer was to reduce the clutter of cables in the cockpit area. I removed both cable hoses completely which also cleared up the rats-nest in the motor compartment.

Re-installing the cable hoses may require that you drop the motor, loosen bulkhead and clamping points, and re-thread the cable thru the rear triangle and head tube. It’s not really that difficult if you have the time and right tools.

There is no real weight savings by installing the AXS system(s) but the quality and reliability was noticeable to me. My Fuel EXE will soon have an AXS dropper.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Do you favor one over the other? Meaning, if you were only doing one... the wireless dropper or shifter...which would you choose?

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Interesting...fairly simple to install or were there things that you didn't expect that made the job difficult?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Good question. I would choose the AXS GX Derailer. IMO the AXS dropper is a luxury.

I use the AXS GX Derailer with the Shimano cassette and HG chain. (It’s a hack), but this combination gives me the best of both worlds. (Lower guide wheel needs to be changed).

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Interesting...fairly simple to install or were there things that you didn't expect that made the job difficult?

Really easy to be honest, hardest part may be removing the existing shifter cable

Mine is stuck somewhere in the frame so has been cut flush at the rear and an inch above where it enters the frame, although you cant see it as its covered by cable tidy

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Ok, I'm kinda dumb about this stuff...I have a Gen 4 Trek Rail 9.8 XT. It has the Shimano 12 sp XT deraileur-M8100 Long cage. How do I know which AXS wireless shifter model to choose to be sure it will fit my bike? I mean, it's a Sram deraileur and a Shimano drive. I could ask the people when I buy it, but let's be honest...do they even know for sure?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Regarding the Reverb dropper; my medium Rail came with a 150mm Bontrager dropper. I needed/wanted more so I installed a 170mm axs Reverb. I carefully measured, for fit, before I ordered the Reverb. Removing, servicing or adjusting the Reverb dropper is easy. The seat angle adjustment is nice also 👍🏻.

Self servicing the reverb is very easy, however Sram did replace the “O” rings under warranty.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ok, I'm kinda dumb about this stuff...I have a Gen 4 Trek Rail 9.8 XT. It has the Shimano 12 sp XT deraileur-M8100 Long cage. How do I know which AXS wireless shifter model to choose to be sure it will fit my bike? I mean, it's a Sram deraileur and a Shimano drive. I could ask the people when I buy it, but let's be honest...do they even know for sure?
Combining a Sram AXs GX derailer with a Shimano cassette and Hyper-Glide chain is a hack. There is a YouTube video available which shows the entire procedure. Like I said …it’s the best of both worlds. I’ve been using this setup for almost three years now. The lower guide wheel may need to be changed.

The problem I have with this setup is; too fast, too quiet and too smooth. 🤷‍♂️

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I just spoke to Aidan at WWC...they have the AXS GX model which he recommended for my bike. I assume the chain will remain the same length and not need to be shortened??

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There’s a number of factors that determine chain length when you start adding new drivetrain components. (Cage tension, “B” screw, chainring size etc.) if you’re not comfortable with this step have your LBS help. They can insure that the operation of your setup will be as smooth as possible.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I am considering the Reverb AXS dropper. But, what do you do with the cable housing? Let it hang there? Remove it?? I am a bit leary of removing it in case the new dropper has issues. And, if you want the cable dropper, how difficult is it to re- install a new cable and housing in a Trek rail? Love the idea of the wireless dropper, just some concerns.
I love my AXS dropper, it’s an expensive luxury but it is so nice, I wouldn’t go back to cable by choice.
I just whipped the old cable out and stuffed it in the “shite drawer”

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
One of the reasons I installed the AXS dropper and derailer was to reduce the clutter of cables in the cockpit area. I removed both cable hoses completely which also cleared up the rats-nest in the motor compartment.

Re-installing the cable hoses may require that you drop the motor, loosen bulkhead and clamping points, and re-thread the cable thru the rear triangle and head tube. It’s not really that difficult if you have the time and right tools.

There is no real weight savings by installing the AXS system(s) but the quality and reliability was noticeable to me. My Fuel EXE will soon have an AXS dropper.
Have you plugged the holes - if so what's the best and easiest way to do it without getting the stock plugs?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I was going to ask the same thing. Gotta plug the holes if you remove the cable housing I'd think???
Where the cable exits the top tube, near the headset, there will be one small hole. There may be a plug available but I just, carefully, filled the hole with clear bathroom silicone. Keeps any water/debris out …and it’s all I had at the time. 🤷‍♂️

I guess that’s a bodge fix…but I haven’t thought about it since.

Last edited:

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Combining a Sram AXs GX derailer with a Shimano cassette and Hyper-Glide chain is a hack. There is a YouTube video available which shows the entire procedure. Like I said …it’s the best of both worlds. I’ve been using this setup for almost three years now. The lower guide wheel may need to be changed.

The problem I have with this setup is; too fast, too quiet and too smooth. 🤷‍♂️
Me and my mate both run axs gx with Shimano cassette and chain. Took 15 mins to install and is super smooth. Neither of us needed to do anything other than adjust b tension and a couple of adjustments on indexing with the app. Would never go back. Also just added the axs dropper. Nicer to use than the original 170mm that came on the bike but just did it to remove the cable at the bars and treat the bike to something nice :LOL:

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Got both dropper and derailleur on my cube stereo that came with Shimano XT drivetrain. Again nothing else needed but setting up the new derailleur.

I tried to pull the battery tray out for access but in the end I just grabbed the shifter cable at the headset and pulled! The cube dropper cable comes out of the side of the down tube and into the seat tube. I had to pull out the bit into the seat tube first then pulled from the headset again. I imagine it would be a nightmare to get them back in but I’ve got no plans to.

Only problem I’ve had is trying to find blanks for the holes. Black electrical tape does the job though!

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Where the cable exits the top tube, near the headset, there will be one small hole. There may be a plug available but I just, carefully, filled the hole with clear bathroom silicone. Keeps any water/debris out …and it’s all I had at the time. 🤷‍♂️

I guess that’s a bodge fix…but I haven’t thought about it since.
This plug sold out for the last few years. Suppose it's a better and cheaper way to fix it but unsure how important it is.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I was looking at Sram transmission and it seem like the most affordable way if you currently have a 12 speed drivetrain is to purchase a derailleur and shiftier separately.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Have you plugged the holes - if so what's the best and easiest way to do it without getting the stock plugs?

We're talking about the round hole through which the housing goes? Get a tube of black silicone RTV gasket sealer. Get the quick drying if you can. Put a dab on your finger, and rub your finger over the hole. A little goes in the hole, your finger wipes it smooth, and it's not even noticeable when you're looking at it. If you change your mind in the future, you can poke out the silicone plug. Easy peasy.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I was looking at Sram transmission and it seem like the most affordable way if you currently have a 12 speed drivetrain is to purchase a derailleur and shiftier separately.

On my Fuel EXE I have the T-type AXS derailer which is powered through the main battery. I was surprised how smooth it was while shifting under load. But I don’t like the Pod controller. My Rail has the paddle shifting for the AxS derailer. It allows shifting with thumb or index finger.

A bar clamp type seems to give you a bit more positioning options, but the match-maker is fine.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England

Dont forget to buy a battery and charger.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Best dropper I've ever had, significantly better than cable, significantly!

Warm Regards Ruti

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca

The SRAM transmission requires the whole drive train be replaced. It works as a set together (chainring cassette chain derailer). You need the chain that comes with it as it is flat on top.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles