Shockwiz - app suggestions

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
A really stupid questions.....if the shockwiz app for suggestions for base pressure..goes from remove add pressure to add pressure. If the suggestion is showing add air pressure ...do i remove air to get it to the OK state or not....a little confused. Cheers

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Think you add air then go into a settings and mark baseline air pressure, but doing this from memory could be wrong

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you in the set up stage at this point, or after set up and into the usage mode?

For set up : (Doing this from memory, not last week's recollection).

When setting up and trying to establish the compression ratio, I always had difficulty. For example, I would let out the air from the fork as requested then compress and extend the fork as instructed. But then it would tell me that there was insufficient pressure difference between the two extremes (or words to that effect). So I had to pump in a bit of air into the fork and repeat. Then I'd pass to the next stage, only to find that the standing % sag was above 3%. So cancel and repeat. But I discovered that the key was to go as far as possible, ignoring the %sag report, and find out what the fork compression ratio was (the Shockwiz tells you). Once you have that, the set up is very quick and easy. So you can start again from a clean slate.

Four times I set up the Shockwiz on my Focus, once each for the fork and shock, and then again several weeks later. MUCH easier the second time. :)

On my grandson's Manitou Mattoc Comp fork, I never did manage to get the ShockWiz set up with any confidence.

For usage:

If it says add air, then you need to just pump in some extra pressure. Then reset the data on the ShockWiz. You need to reset the data collected each time you alter the suspension settings, even if it is only one click of rebound. If you don't, the data is merged and the recco is made on a mix of the two data sets, not what you want. By "resetting the data" I do not mean setting up the ShockWiz all over again! There is a function that just wipes the ride data collected

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
Ok thanks. My compression ratio is 2.3, but the app is saying add air (orange bar) however I have not used all my travel so hense why I am getting confused. Have lyrik rc shock. I have now only one token (was 2) , weigh 88kg and psi is 90. I guess if it says add air you do that or rather reduce the air to get it to the ok?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
When setting up and trying to establish the compression ratio, I always had difficulty. For example, I would let out the air from the fork as requested then compress and extend the fork as instructed. But then it would tell me that there was insufficient pressure difference between the two extremes (or words to that effect).

Your recollection is pretty much spot on! I bought a Shockwiz 2 weeks ago to go with my new Trek Rail. I figured I can use it, let a few of my mates use it, and then sell it on eBay at a small loss. I only paid £175, so I don’t think I’ll loose too much.

I set the Shockwiz up on my fork last weekend. I did the full ‘calibration’ where you release all the pressure, and then set the full span. I too had that same error. I tried again, and again - and I think on the 4th attempt it worked. I used the Rockshox Trailhead app suggested pressure as my starting point, and other than reducing the rebound 2 clicks, I had the fork setup correctly.

Today, I tried the Shockwiz on the rear. I got a pretty good score for my setup... but a lot of my riding today was on fire track and on road. I’ll leave it attached and try it again on my regular rocky trails and see if it changes it’s mind.

It’s nice to know that I had the setup almost right through my own ‘feel’ rather than relying on the Shockwiz. It’s a clever little gadget!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok thanks. My compression ratio is 2.3, but the app is saying add air (orange bar) however I have not used all my travel so hense why I am getting confused. Have lyrik rc shock. I have now only one token (was 2) , weigh 88kg and psi is 90. I guess if it says add air you do that or rather reduce the air to get it to the ok?

I have never been a fan of "you should use all your travel......". I always felt that there was an "or else" implied there; as in "or else you are not riding hard enough", or "or else you don't have your suspension set up correctly". I have a different view. I have always preferred the suspension to support and aid me in my normal riding, with some in reserve for when I get out of my depth.

I suspect that this is where the ShockWiz was coming from. It suggests you add air to stiffen the fork because it was too soft for the job you were giving it.

When I was using the ShockWiz, I rode the bike faster and harder than I normally do, to build in a bit of insurance I guess. :unsure: But also because I felt a bit like I was on trial. :giggle:
It still didn't suggest much change though - which was strangely gratifying. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles