Levo Gen 2 Shock Upgrade 2020 Comp - Coil/Air? ...Light Rider

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Looking to upgrade over my stock RS Deluxe Select+ on my 2020 Levo Comp. Pretty happy with Shockwiz setup, but would like to see if I can do better. (Running Gnar token and about 160psi)

I'm about 155lbs. (70kg) kitted. Intermediate rider on flowy & technical trails. I don't jump much and do max 2-3 foot drops to flat.
I ride dry desert, but with lots of rock. Shock moves well and I can use all the travel (not hard bottom) on a drop, so I'm using all the travel (FWIW).

Would like smoother action in mid-stroke in the rocks at high repetition rates.
Don't mind spending some money if it gets me substantial improvement.

Would a coil shock serve me better here?
I see heavier riders going to coils but I'm not sure of the performance difference air/coil for my rider weight.
Poppy feel is fun, but smoothing the harshness of repeated rock hits is a higher priority for me.

Possibilities I'm considering....
Ohlins TTX22M
Fox DHX2
Fox DPX2
or?.....

Thanks for reading. Appreciate any input on experience or suggestions....thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes
I see heavier riders going to coils but I'm not sure of the performance difference air/coil for my rider weight.
Heavier ride cannot ever expect to attain the same level of small bump compliance over a lighter rider using the same shock whatever the shock. A lot of the reason overweight riders choose coil is they "see2 it as sturdier. and believe they ^need* it. often this is not the case at all and many would have been better sticking with air.

In that case what you are looking for ideally is a coil shock custom shimmed/valved to your own specific weight, bike and riding style not just an expensive off the shelf shock from a highly regarded manufacturer. or a recommendation from an Emtb forum.

Speak to a suspension tuning company about your needs/wants.
You're in the US so Push Industries and Avalanche suspension would be a good place to start looking. There will no doubt be other US based suspension tuning companies.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Thanks for all the info Gary....much appreciated as always.
Looks like I'll be looking to source a coil shock.

Curious about what coil spring rate 150-160 lb riders are typically using on their Levos?

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Looking to upgrade over my stock RS Deluxe Select+ on my 2020 Levo Comp. Pretty happy with Shockwiz setup, but would like to see if I can do better. (Running Gnar token and about 160psi)

I'm about 155lbs. (70kg) kitted. Intermediate rider on flowy & technical trails. I don't jump much and do max 2-3 foot drops to flat.
I ride dry desert, but with lots of rock. Shock moves well and I can use all the travel (not hard bottom) on a drop, so I'm using all the travel (FWIW).

Poppy feel is fun, but smoothing the harshness of repeated rock hits is a higher priority for me.

Possibilities I'm considering....
Ohlins TTX22M
Fox DHX2
Fox DPX2
or?.....

Thanks for reading. Appreciate any input on experience or suggestions....thanks.
Have you looked inside the air chambers to see what volume spacers are installed?
My SL came with the max size positive chamber volume spacer and 2x negative volume spacers. Removing the negative volume spacers allows for a "plusher off the top" feel with less "platform" feel. My bike is wayy better for me (147 pounds) now with those negative chamber spacers removed. More supple over little stuff, and better bottom out resistance.
(Note that when you remove the negative chamber spacers you will need to run more air pressure to achieve a constant sag value)
Definitely worth looking inside if you haven't

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Have you looked inside the air chambers to see what volume spacers are installed?
My SL came with the max size positive chamber volume spacer and 2x negative volume spacers. Removing the negative volume spacers allows for a "plusher off the top" feel with less "platform" feel. My bike is wayy better for me (147 pounds) now with those negative chamber spacers removed. More supple over little stuff, and better bottom out resistance.
(Note that when you remove the negative chamber spacers you will need to run more air pressure to achieve a constant sag value)
Definitely worth looking inside if you haven't

Thanks for the info.
Just running the gnar dog in the shock.
I wasn't aware the RS Deluxe had negative volume spacers (have seen rings in the MegNeg kit).
Only know about the volume reducers (gnar dog being 2.5 tokens, stock had total of 4.5 tokens).

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Thanks for all the info Gary....much appreciated as always.
Looks like I'll be looking to source a coil shock.

Curious about what coil spring rate 150-160 lb riders are typically using on their Levos?

With the coil you might want to increase the leverage progression with new linkage. Regarding what spring rate to use you sort of just need to look at the average leverage of the suspension on the shock. I think it's about 2.9.
Thanks for the info.
Just running the gnar dog in the shock.
I wasn't aware the RS Deluxe had negative volume spacers (have seen rings in the MegNeg kit).
Only know about the volume reducers (gnar dog being 2.5 tokens, stock had total of 4.5 tokens).
oh shoot,, I was under the assumption that you had a DPS. My mistake...
Also.. i never finished my response re coil stuffness.. somehow this uploaded as if I had.

no time for that calc at the moment tho...

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Have you also considered a Megneg kit? Could be perfect for your needs and low cost in comparison to a new shock. Plenty of articles and reviews out there that explain in great detail how is works, but basically it improves midstroke support.

grim007

Apr 11, 2019
Israel
I weight about the same as you and I've tried both coil shock (Fox DHX2) and rockshox with megneg.
For me the air shock feels much better, it gives more progressive feel to the bike and makes more poppy and playful.
You need to decide if you want a tank that rolls over everything (coil shock) or a popply playful bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles