Shock Mount

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I recently swapped my bike from a 2020 Levo SL to a 2023 Levo SL, and went to transfer my Rockshox Super Deluxe over as I'd had it custom tuned.
It didn't fit, as the mount was slightly different.

I contacted J-Tech (where I bought it from), and they suggested I should return it and have it re-tuned, as the suspension has a different leverage curve.
I booked it in and sent it away before I went on holiday... for a service, re-tune, and to get the mounts changed. I specifically said the bottom mount didn't need changed as the 'flip chip' end is the same on both bikes.

£25 to book the slot, £169 for the service and re-tune... so £194 later I have the shock back.

Unfortunately, the've added a spacer to the 'flip chip' end, and the flip chip won't fit in it anymore. The top mount has been modified to the correct size.

Can I just attack this plastic insert with a dremmel or something to remove it? I don't want to damage anything. Any tips or suggestions on how to remove it without causing damage?

IMG_4872.JPG

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
This is shock bushing, which is what I would expect to see on any shock mount that is not a bearing. I have no idea about the spesh, so I can't say if this is right or not. Definitely won't require a dremmel, will likely push out by hand. If not, then use a suitably sized socket and vice. Should come out no problem.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
Just tap it through with a small socket or such like
If your going to use a Dremel (i personally wouldnt) be careful obviously not to touch the alloy on the shock (y)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
This is shock bushing, which is what I would expect to see on any shock mount that is not a bearing. I have no idea about the spesh, so I can't say if this is right or not. Definitely won't require a dremmel, will likely push out by hand. If not, then use a suitably sized socket and vice. Should come out no problem.
You beat me too it LOL
As an addition my orbea wild fs didnt have bushes in the shock end so some bikes dont have bushing fitted in the shocks just the hardware (y)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Ok. looked at some photos. It's because it has a yolk / shock extender thing. If I had checked that first it would have been obvious! I'll get back in my box now.
You know what they say
"Every day is a school day and a day without learning is a day wasted"

I quite often have to get back in my box LOL

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks guys...
It was way to stiff to push out by hand. I took it through to the workshop (at work) to get a suitable sized socket, and someone suggested using an 'easy out'. Popped that in, and gave it a twist, and the bushing came out fairly easily with no damage to either part.

Hopefully the sun stays out until I'm home, and I can get the shock fitted, sag set, and out for a test ride!!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
From my experience removing these metal bushings on my RS shocks many times without damaging or scratching anything, I've invested in this bushing removal tool from Sram which has worked beautifully:

I agree
The tool is the only sensible way for a DU bush
But the OP has a nylon bush and they bush out easy unlike the DU bushing which is more difficult .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles