Shin pads

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a pair of shin pads please? - Specifically ones that would fit with an existing knee pad (I use Fox Launch Pros) rather than a shin/knee combo.

Cheers

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I ended up with some adidas football ones from Sports Direct.

From what I remember, after much research I'd decided I wanted the Sondico Flair ones - but they weren't in stock.

I've been pleased with the Adidas ones, with the under foot support they stay on place. There's a little extra ankle armour and the Velcro strap seems to not drop off or come open or snap/tear like I thought it would. They come up to just above the bottom of my Sam Hill knee guards. They never catch or rub and you don't know you have them on.

It goes without saying that they've been crashed into many things and I've suffered no further shin injuries - despite my haphazard foot to Pedal / Foot not to Pedal style.

shin.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

From what I remember, after much research I'd decided I wanted the Sondico Flair ones - but they weren't in stock.

I've been pleased with the Adidas ones, with the under foot support they stay on place. There's a little extra ankle armour and the Velcro strap seems to not drop off or come open or snap/tear like I thought it would. They come up to just above the bottom of my Sam Hill knee guards. They never catch or rub and you don't know you have them on.

It goes without saying that they've been crashed into many things and I've suffered no further shin injuries - despite my haphazard foot to Pedal / Foot not to Pedal style.

View attachment 59522
I bought the same sort of thing, and didn't have them on today. Playing on a jump and one of those aggressive dmr pins bit me. I had compression socks on, and blood was spurting out with my heart beat; spurt, spurt, spurt :oops: :ROFLMAO:. I sat down and put a roller bandage over it with the sock in place, and was just thinking "I don't want stitches, I don't want to look at it". I'm seriously a pussy when it comes to stuff like that. But the power of a roller bandage with the offending leak below 10 or so layers and I feel like I've got armor on it and continue my ride, which is also a good way of putting off having to look at it. I'll be wearing those shin pads now :oops:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Haha, thats pretty much why im now looking - slipped on one of my pedals couple of weekends ago (on a flat footpath at 5mph ?‍♂️), next thing im in Minor injuries having stitches ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Haha, thats pretty much why im now looking - slipped on one of my pedals couple of weekends ago (on a flat footpath at 5mph ?‍♂️), next thing im in Minor injuries having stitches ?
I was dreading looking at the damage - I hate stitches and the long long wait in outpatients. I got stabbed, so no flappy skin. I reckon I lost about a cup of blood though - and I had a roller bandage on within a minute!

Blood bath - I soaked the sock off
20210425_103311.jpg

I left a little pool on the trail where I sat down to bandage it up too :oops: . None of this is good for my imagination.
20210425_103250.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Incidentally; I have large shin pads, which I think are too small. So I am looking for xl and came across these. Because it is generally pretty warm here, I like all the ventilation; I think they look great. Hard to find xl though. The top strap looks padded too. Mitre Aircell Carbon Soccer Shinguard

mitre-aircell-carbon-p272-8076_image.jpg

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I was dreading looking at the damage - I hate stitches and the long long wait in outpatients. I got stabbed, so no flappy skin. I reckon I lost about a cup of blood though - and I had a roller bandage on within a minute!

Blood bath - I soaked the sock off
View attachment 59678

I left a little pool on the trail where I sat down to bandage it up too :oops: . None of this is good for my imagination.
View attachment 59679

Ouch! For some reason mine didnt bleed that much; my mate and I thought it was just a nick until we got back to the van ?‍♂️? Mind you we still were considering grabbing a McDonalds on the way to the hospital ?

919D88E8-1198-45E1-93D5-6F0D799FE74C.jpeg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yeah, I obviously hit a vein. There is still some pressure in veins; mine was like a little water pistol :oops:; very disconcerting. Yours looks terrible - I'm still thankful I didn't have something like that.

Re the maccas; I've had a couple of injuries later requiring stitches. At the time, with dressing and full roller bandage, I've felt pretty bullet proof, so finished my rides :ROFLMAO:. Not tough, just delaying the inevitable :oops:. Nurses etc were very amused when I didn't want to look at it. Last one, I was pretty jovial, but awesome nurse saw something and got some dude in to distract me while stitching :ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I’m in the same club. Got pitched hitting a steep rock roll on my chromag; 35 stitches in my leg, broken nose and a skiers thumb injury that required surgery. I’m hoping to start riding again this week, it’s been 7 weeks. Sucky!

ACB25C3C-9E34-412A-9B62-394ACC776633.jpeg

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I use these G-Form soccer ones. They have MTB specific ones, but the pads aren’t quite as wide. I pull my socks over these and don’t care how gay it looks. Now, no matter which ones you use, they may not go high enough to have prevented that upper gash, but a little is better then nought.
Those gashes are gnarly!

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales

View attachment 59522
just ordered a pair, cheers

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Quick q for for everyone with Sondico pads ? - I'm about to order but it says Adult M or Adult Large, but in the sizing guide there is no mention of shin pads. What size did you buy and what's your height?

(Im 6ft - so guessing I need a large?)

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Incidentally; I have large shin pads, which I think are too small. So I am looking for xl and came across these. Because it is generally pretty warm here, I like all the ventilation; I think they look great. Hard to find xl though. The top strap looks padded too. Mitre Aircell Carbon Soccer Shinguard

View attachment 59680

I got these last week from Amazon, and I managed to endure them for a single ride. They are the most uncomfortable thing I have ever encountered whilst riding. They dig into my shins, and with my knee protectors going over them, it puts further pressure on them and caused actual bruising to my shins from simply wearing them for 2 hours!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I got these last week from Amazon, and I managed to endure them for a single ride. They are the most uncomfortable thing I have ever encountered whilst riding. They dig into my shins, and with my knee protectors going over them, it puts further pressure on them and caused actual bruising to my shins from simply wearing them for 2 hours!
Thanks for the feedback. How can they get it so wrong! :rolleyes: That's pretty bad :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles