Shimano freehub engaging clunking noise

Apr 18, 2020
germany
When I ride fast over rougher trails with roots an chatter I get this annoying clunking noise which sounds like chain slap but it's the freewheel of the shimano motor. I can provoke it when I move the bike slowly forward and move the cranks a tiny bit back and fourth with my hand.

Does every Steps-Motor have this noise?

Are there ways to eliminate the noise?

Last edited:

jonas

Feb 9, 2020
Germany
I noticed the same, more as feeling on the pedals than noise though.
Recently I started turning the motor off for the downhills. Not sure if it got rid of the issue, but it definitely reduced the problem.

Also noticed my cassette was slightly loose, might be something to check to reduce noise.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I noticed the same, more as feeling on the pedals than noise though.
Recently I started turning the motor off for the downhills. Not sure if it got rid of the issue, but it definitely reduced the problem.

Also noticed my cassette was slightly loose, might be something to check to reduce noise.

Quite possible that the freehub body itself is damaged. The load of an eMTB can easily chew through the soft Shimano freehub material, particularly on the smaller 2-3 cogs. This will happen quickly if you do not have the cassette lockring torqued enough. Pull off the cassette and you'll know right away. And if you're unable to get the cassette off, that's a clear sign that the freehub body is wrecked.

Apr 18, 2020
germany
Is this the freehub engaging noise we're talking about here?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QWhXaERZTGl3NnFVYllFWHhKV3o0MmdtekN3d1RR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=clMwb3VBeVdLWl9zcllJakVrQTJydE9MNkprSi1B

YT Decoy strange noise (no, not the known shimano noise ;-) ) - EMTB Forums

Does anybody have a silent bike were he can't reproduce this as shown in the video (rocking the crankarm back and forth apruptly while rolling the bike a bit)?

It's really annoying on bumpy trails.

jonas

Feb 9, 2020
Germany
Thanks for linking those.
That's definitely the same noise as on my bike.

After reading the linked german pedelecforums thread, i conclude that (almost) all E8000 Motors seem to have the issue (even new ones in the bikeshop) or develop this after a few hundred KM. One or two said the issue is not present on their 2017 motors.
It also seems to only be really audible on fast bumpy/root sections, which is why many riders riding slower or only smoother terrain might never notice this issue.
Another factor could very well be suspension design, as more pedal kickback will lead to more change in pressure on the pedal.
So far nobody seems to have found a definitive solution, it just seems to be a "feature" of the motors engagement.

For me personally turning the motor to "OFF" reduces the noise to a level which I can accept.

Last edited:

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Is this the freehub engaging noise we're talking about here?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QWhXaERZTGl3NnFVYllFWHhKV3o0MmdtekN3d1RR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=clMwb3VBeVdLWl9zcllJakVrQTJydE9MNkprSi1B

YT Decoy strange noise (no, not the known shimano noise ;-) ) - EMTB Forums

Does anybody have a silent bike were he can't reproduce this as shown in the video (rocking the crankarm back and forth apruptly while rolling the bike a bit)?

It's really annoying on bumpy trails.
My bike is pretty well silent, i have sought out and fixed any rattles. I can reproduce that "clunk" noise by rotating the pedals back and forth, but i don't have any issues with a rattle when in motion. There is a light clunk that can be heard/felt as you first pedal and the motor engages and this is normal on the shimano

Apr 18, 2020
germany
For me it depends on the trail and speed. It isn't an issue on smooth trails but if I ride fast into big roots or braking bumps it gets really annoying and just sounds like 2010 without a derallieur damping thingy.

But it can also be different due to the design of the suspension in terms of pedal kickback, transmission and resonance capabilities of the frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles