Shimano E8000 clicking noise

ShredOfBread

May 28, 2021
Lithuania
Motor has like 3000 miles on it but developed somewhat clicking noise which occurs under load (going uphill also happens with motor turned off when you step on the cranks).
What seems to be the problem? Is it just cranks/chainring, Torx mounting bolts or something more serious inside the motor (like bearings, Sprag clutch)? Video link to imgur:

EDHJack

Jan 26, 2022
Northern California
Motor has like 3000 miles on it but developed somewhat clicking noise which occurs under load (going uphill also happens with motor turned off when you step on the cranks).
What seems to be the problem? Is it just cranks/chainring, Torx mounting bolts or something more serious inside the motor (like bearings, Sprag clutch)? Video link to imgur:
Did you figure out the cause? My E7000 with 1900 (hard) miles is starting to do the same. I checked all the frame attachment bolts, removed and re-tightened the cranks, removed, cleaned and re-installed the chainring but still getting the clicking under slow hard pedaling. I'm going to swap the cranks and pedals with another bike to rule out both of those possibilities. Then I may remove the motor, clean the contact points and then re-install it to see if some grit is causing the noise as it has with other posters. Otherwise, it's still under the 2 years warranty for 3 more months, and I'll take it in for service.

EDHJack

Jan 26, 2022
Northern California
Did you figure out the cause? My E7000 with 1900 (hard) miles is starting to do the same. I checked all the frame attachment bolts, removed and re-tightened the cranks, removed, cleaned and re-installed the chainring but still getting the clicking under slow hard pedaling. I'm going to swap the cranks and pedals with another bike to rule out both of those possibilities. Then I may remove the motor, clean the contact points and then re-install it to see if some grit is causing the noise as it has with other posters. Otherwise, it's still under the 2 years warranty for 3 more months, and I'll take it in for service.
Update:
It was the flat pedals. OK, I cheap out on pedals and buy no name (that I can pronounce, that is) brands off Amazon. The way I trash them on the rocky terrain I ride, I know I at least break even compared to high end brands that are twice the price. Anyway, these have only one set of bearings at the outer edge and the through axle metal probably came from on old can of Coke. These only lasted about 400 miles so I may have to re-evaluate my logic.
Anyway, by swapping pedals and directly comparing the bike in question to its twin brother 1 year newer, I did find that the E7000 crank axle bearings have more play as directly compared to the newer bike, which has none. Only notice it when pedaling up a steep hill with the motor off. No bad, but since the warranty will expire in a couple of months, I'll get it checked out at my local LBS.
Overall.. Still love the bike and the E7000 climbs like a goat.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles