Shimano EP8rs fail Rate ?

Has you EP8 motor failed ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Would like to know if the RS version is a lot more reliable than the full 85nm version .
I know the RS is only software based but I’ve not seen man failures on the RS but a lot more on the EP8 .

How many miles have you done on your Orbea Rise ?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Hard to compare as there are fewer EP8RS implementations than full-fat EP8.

My EP8RS is over 500 miles and no issues.
My wife's EP8 is over 500 miles with no issues.
My E8000 is over 1000 miles with no issues.

Make of that what you will!

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
The only frequent motor failures I've heard of are on Specialized bikes (though I do ride with someone who puts a *lot* of miles in on his Spec bikes, but has been through multiple motors on every one of them).

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
The only frequent motor failures I've heard of are on Specialized bikes (though I do ride with someone who puts a *lot* of miles in on his Spec bikes, but has been through multiple motors on every one of them).
On the EP8 motors Facebook page there is plenty of failures . On the Santa Cruz pages too and other pages and forums . I’ve only just got my M10 and i run the Orbea rise group and not seen any or maybe 1 on the group. I’m also the runner of the Levo SL and Kenevo SL page too and there is now getting more failures on the SL , I also own an SL .

I want to narrow it down to why the EP8 fails , maybe with over heating or messing with derestriction .
Ive seen they are being changed through warranty pretty quickly . Wondering how long an EP8rs takes to be warrantied .My mate also now has a rise .

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
The Rs must have an easier life as ultimately it's a motor designed to cope with 85nm of torque but restricted to 65 (and actually less than that if you're running it on profile 1). That's got to put a load less stress on the internal components but it's not going to help with water ingress.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
The Rs must have an easier life as ultimately it's a motor designed to cope with 85nm of torque but restricted to 65 (and actually less than that if you're running it on profile 1). That's got to put a load less stress on the internal components but it's not going to help with water ingress.
It’s 60nm . Just like what the E7000 had .

lol talking about profile 1 my mate said his rise was crap and was sending it back as he had it in profile 1 and never used the app before .

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
We set off to ride the ClimachX trail bear Dyfi on Friday. Not 10 mins in my mates Nukeproof with an EP8 threw up an error. We couldn't sort it from the app, we cleaned it that night and it’s still dead. Poor guy hasn’t even done 10 rides on it.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
It’s 60nm . Just like what the E7000 had .

lol talking about profile 1 my mate said his rise was crap and was sending it back as he had it in profile 1 and never used the app before .
yeah, mine came stock in profile 1 and the dealer did not even know there were two profiles, I hated it and thought I had made a mistake buying it until I figured out there were two profiles and I changed!!!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I'm on 2000km (3 month) and zero motor problems.
I had a system error some weeks ago (speed sensor issue) every time I powered up, but it was fixed via OTA firmware update.

locoboy

Jan 15, 2022
Midlands
I've got a friend who bricked his rise doing a software update via the app.
dealer has had it 2 weeks now (motor has been sent off) but he is still without the bike.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I’d so love to know the answer to this poll, but the thing is…

You have no idea about a number of denominators. For your poll to work without knowing how many were sold (and when, and which country and ridden in which way etc etc), the number of respondents would have to be equal for both types of motor in the poll (and so would everything else, like who visits here, the number who saw your poll, the number on each side who chose to reply, etc etc). Only then could you ignore all the denominators in your ‘sum’. And obviously that aim is ludicrous 😳

It’ll still be interesting and hopefully amusing to read the comments, both sensible and those poking a bit of fun of course. And perhaps that’s your aim. And I recognise the irony of my comment containing no humour, LOL.

Anyway, for the laughs, your poll has my full support! 😜

Last edited:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I hear you. But, maybe the R’s are, in the main, thrashed harder for the same reason’s you suggest they might survive better?
We don’t know. We’ll never know.
And therein lies the problem.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The guy on EMTB Videos is testing a Rise and his first observation was that in bike to bike comparisons with other Shimano bikes he has, he reckons his bike is pushing out 75nm!
Not sure I have ever heard of an electric motor fault on any EMTB. The failure is always on the mechanical transfer of the electric motor out put to the crankshaft.....or components on the crankshaft ( sensors/bearings). The crankshaft on an EMTB takes the place of the BB on a mtb without a motor and is subject to the same potential forces from the cranks. Use motor power and low gearing rather than big rider input into the cranks and those forces are much reduced.
I would rate the chances of greater user crank force as higher on a lower powered EMTB especially since the weight saving compared to a full fat EMTB is somewhat overstated on all but the top of the range bike fitted with lightweight tyres and carbon components.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
If you are riding a RISE and you did a single software update using the etube app then your motor is no longer running the ep8RS software but the full ep8 software. The only way currently to update the EP8RS and retrain the RS software is for the dealer to do it and even then he has to contact Orbea and request a copy of the software.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
If you are riding a RISE and you did a single software update using the etube app then your motor is no longer running the ep8RS software but the full ep8 software. The only way currently to update the EP8RS and retrain the RS software is for the dealer to do it and even then he has to contact Orbea and request a copy of the software.

I’ve updated a few times and it still feels the same, plus same lower Nm displayed in the app.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’ve updated a few times and it still feels the same, plus same lower Nm displayed in the app.
a firmware update presumably does nothing to increase the wattage available from the battery which is the bigget factor controlling the power delivery of the motor.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
a firmware update presumably does nothing to increase the wattage available from the battery which is the bigget factor controlling the power delivery of the motor.

Yep :) Maybe all the differences between EP8 and EP8 RS are purely defined by data values which are not updated with the firmware. Like the max of 60Nm. Maybe the power delivery curve is defined in data too.

I don’t know :) But I’m sure Orbea would have considered users updating their Rises using the e-tube app.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
The profile is what is limiting you after you update. What i did with my M10 is that i modified profile 2 after the update to provide 85 NM in Turbo mode and 70 NM in trail. The difference is amazing. There is a whole thread discussing this and a couple of people claim that when their battery dropped below 50 percent they loss performance. In my case i have ridden with the battery down to 20 percent and still have the full power.
A standard RISE from the factory you cannot modify the profile above 60 NM after you update because you get the regular software you can go up to 85NM.
Unfortunately Orbea has not thought though the update for the RS. Even if the LBS update your Rise the same issue occurs unless the LBS specifically contacts Orbea and gets the correct software.
I also got rid of the stupid little box with the lights and installed an SC-EM800 colour display and you can switch profile on the trail with the display.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
This is not correct in my experience - I've done a few updates and it's definitely still the Rise firmware

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Perhaps you can use the ETube app to modify one of your profiles and set the Torque setting to 85 NM and see if you can save it and the effect it has on the bike. Like i said there is another thread discussing this. One user even took his bike into the LBS to get it restored to normal RS and he was charged because it was not where he bought the bike and was not best pleased.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The profile is what is limiting you after you update. What i did with my M10 is that i modified profile 2 after the update to provide 85 NM in Turbo mode and 70 NM in trail. The difference is amazing. There is a whole thread discussing this and a couple of people claim that when their battery dropped below 50 percent they loss performance. In my case i have ridden with the battery down to 20 percent and still have the full power.
A standard RISE from the factory you cannot modify the profile above 60 NM after you update because you get the regular software you can go up to 85NM.
Unfortunately Orbea has not thought though the update for the RS. Even if the LBS update your Rise the same issue occurs unless the LBS specifically contacts Orbea and gets the correct software.
I also got rid of the stupid little box with the lights and installed an SC-EM800 colour display and you can switch profile on the trail with the display.

I don’t have the option to select 85Nm, as I still have the original limit after updating the firmware. But I’m glad of that as the lower limit is plenty for me, and I really like the way the EP8 RS delivers power already. I only very rarely use Boost.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
4600km since April 2021, std ep8rs and I do have an occasional glitch where the motor switches off for half a second, E01022 is the error code, but it only happens in the first 5 mins of any ride and then it’s fine???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles