Shimano E8000 display start up then goes blank on SC Heckler

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Haven't ridden my Heckler in months. Shimano E8000 setup. Bike is almost two years old more or less. I put it on the charger overnight then pressed the on button this morning and all was good and was showing battery fully charged. I turned everything off and a few hours later got ready to ride. Pressed the power button and the display comes on for a bit and turns back off. Motor is off too so no assist. I checked everything I could without doing too much and all looked good. I have two batteries and no difference. Battery seems tight so contacts are good. All the little push on wires seem solid. I tried the two press and very long press on the power button with no luck. I pulled off the plastic cover on the motor and all looked good there. I also pulled off the charge port and the connection there looked good. At this point I think it's some computer glitch or something similar. The fact that it started up fine a few hours before is strange. One thing I noticed is if I take the battery out then I get the same result when pushing the power button. Apparently the motor also has a battery? So whether I have the big battery in the bike or not it does the same thing. Display on for a couple of seconds then blank. Anyone seen this and knows of a fix? Unless it miraculously works tomorrow it's time for a visit to the shop.

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Haven't ridden my Heckler in months. Shimano E8000 setup. Bike is almost two years old more or less. I put it on the charger overnight then pressed the on button this morning and all was good and was showing battery fully charged. I turned everything off and a few hours later got ready to ride. Pressed the power button and the display comes on for a bit and turns back off. Motor is off too so no assist. I checked everything I could without doing too much and all looked good. I have two batteries and no difference. Battery seems tight so contacts are good. All the little push on wires seem solid. I tried the two press and very long press on the power button with no luck. I pulled off the plastic cover on the motor and all looked good there. I also pulled off the charge port and the connection there looked good. At this point I think it's some computer glitch or something similar. The fact that it started up fine a few hours before is strange. One thing I noticed is if I take the battery out then I get the same result when pushing the power button. Apparently the motor also has a battery? So whether I have the big battery in the bike or not it does the same thing. Display on for a couple of seconds then blank. Anyone seen this and knows of a fix? Unless it miraculously works tomorrow it's time for a visit to the shop.

If you connect the bike to the charger (charger not turned on at the wall socket) does it turn on?

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
After two days of no luck with my problem, I loaded up the bike and took it to the shop. Of course when I get there it works great. Go figure! I thought perhaps some sort of radio frequency issue in the garage, but the bike worked fine when I brought it home......then started acting up again. I pulled the battery and shook some wires around and it started working fine again. Loose wire or random chance? Did a two hour ride on bumpy trails with no problem. To be continued?

socalty

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County, CA USA
I have exactly the same issue on my EP8 SC Bullit. Was working fine for 10 months. Didn't ride it for 2 weeks and now have this issue. Would appreciate any tips from those who found a resolution.

socalty

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County, CA USA
My issue was due to remote power switch failure. The power switch has a separate battery and if its power level drops below 30%, disables the switch. The main battery charges the switch when riding. I’m not sure why the switch battery level dropped after only 2 weeks of non use. The solution was my bike shop had to reset the switch firmware twice before the switch would recognize it was being charged by the main battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles