cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Product Image:

Capture.JPG

Product name: Shimano CUES U6000
Price paid: £150
Score (out of 10): updated from 3 to 7

Review: I had originally left some thoughts in the thread below, but have decided to add my own review of this specific product.

I used to run sram 11 speed xd cassettes, but being 1 piece as soon as a gear wears out, usually the 12t, the whole expensive cassette is junk.
I then moved to a steel HG shimano freehub & shimano slx 11/46 & microshift 11/46 cassettes.
These were paired with an xt shifter & a mix of xt, deore & slx mechs, changing them as they got broken. I also swapped out the 13t cog as required when it started skipping with a new chain.

So along comes linkglide & its x3 durability claims. I decided I have no need for 11 speed, but the 10 speed deore mech only goes upto 43t and I didnt want to drop back from the 46t I was used to.

I must admit I found the cues range a bit confusing at first, but it appears as below. Its all supposedly very cross compatible. I don't understand fully why there is overlap between products though.

CUES
U4000 - 9 speed
U6000 - 10 or 11 speed
U8000 - 11 speed

LINKGLIDE
M5100 - 10 speed deore
M8100 - 11 speed xt

Compatibility matrix
10 cues.JPG
11speed cues.JPG

It seemed the U6000 range would fit the bill.
CS-LG300-10 11/48 cassette £47
RD-U6000 10/11 mech £50
SL-U6000-10R windowless shifter £30
CN-LG500 - chain £25

TOTAL £152
The 10 speed cassette is a good saving over the 11 speed one, about 1/2 price.

All installed & the shifting was poor. It either indexed fine on the big cogs or the small ones, but not both at once.
Additionally I don't like the adjuster on the mech, requires a bigger cable loop than usual.

The quality is also very poor as shown in the videos below, lots of slop in the mech in the main pivots & the cage pivot, plus a wobbly shifter. Possibly this causing the shifting issues?
I fitted a new gear cable outer a few months ago.

Additionally the 2 small cogs were loose after each ride. The lock ring wasn't coming loose as I marked it.
I may have fixed this now by tightening more than recommended. 40NM with the torque wrench then another few clicks by hand. I was really really leaning on the spanner to do this. I've never had to tighten a cassette up this much before.

11t sprocket - good amount of chain wrap, should reduce skipping.
IMG_20231001_104114 (1).jpg

48t sprocket
IMG_20231001_104146.jpg

I have just fitted a new hanger , £11 from specialized with free postage (y)
Its now indexing ok in the workstand, far from perfect though. I haven't ridden it since & will update when I do.

So far my impression of this is the cassette should be be ok as long as it stays tight, but the CUES range mech & shifter are bottom tier garbage & should be avoided.
I have the option of getting the expensive M8130 11 speed xt mech at £90 & pairing it with my 10 speed shifter, assuming the shifter doesn't completely fall apart, or the M5130 10 speed deore mech at £40, which is only supposed to go to a max of 43t but as per the video below has been tested with the 48t cassette.

UPDATE - 3oct23
Despite the new hanger, the shifting was still not great. Appreciate the hanger may need straightening from new, but I didn't have the tool and the old hanger was ok with the previous slx hg setup.
Struggled to go up the cassette without an overshift near the middle. Any tightening of the barrel adjuster and the chain wouldn't downshift from the 48t.
I had thought the chain slightly too long, so dropped it from 120 to 118 links. This made no difference.
The derailleur has markings for b tension as below.

IMG_20231003_131015.jpg

Based on previous transmission setup, this gap between teeth looked too big to me at 18mm.

The tech doc doesn't give a measurement for the u6000, but it's close to 19mm given for the dedicated 10 speed u6020 derailleur.
Screenshot_20231003-131346.jpg

I wound the b screw out and dropped the gap as low as possible without interference and ended up with 10mm. Looked much better.
Now it started to shift cleanly. After a ride at the bikepark the shifting was faultless. No further adjustments needed, no crunching, ghost shifting, skipping. Absolutely 💯 %
Based on this I will likely update my score to 5 or 6 out of 10 after some more rides.
Despite the poor quality of the shifter and mech it was all very cheap after all, so you get what you pay for. It was at least £120 more for the top tier xt 11 speed linkglide groupset.
Time will tell the longevity of these parts and I'll update this review accordingly.
Also the cassette has stayed tight now for 2 rides after overtightening the lockring. It's a steel lockring and freehub, so unlikely to strip the threads.
The lesson here being - don't read the manual!

UPDATE - 17oct24
After a few more rides I must say I'm now impressed. Shifts very well up and down whilst under power with a satisfying clunk rather than the grinding the hyperglide setup produced.
Scoring is a tough one. It feels very cheap but is very cheap, but also works faultlessly if you ignore the Shimano setup instructions.
The top tier 11speed linkglide comes in at around £280.
This was £150.
Based on these factors I'm bumping the score up to 7/10.
I will swap the mech out for the m5130 deore once I smash this one. I generally get through one a year.
With hindsight and a bit more research, I would have bought the 10 speed deore mech and shifter in the first place as linked to at the top of this review. Prices are very similar.

UPDATE - 24nov24
A black friday deal saw the m5130 mech & shifter at £54 so I purchased. Quality is way better than the u6000 cues. I like the look of the short cage & I actually think the gear indicator will be useful despite looking dorky, as It will be easier to check im in the 13t before setting off the start ramp.
Not fitted yet as Im waiting for a new bike to be delivered.
I'll have to keep the u6000 cues as spares.

Last edited:

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
So much for the holy grail of emtb transmission!. A couple of mate's got the chains and they had a poor lifespan on standard cassettes, whereas my X01 chain bought at the same time is still like new after 1k miles. I think a deore steel cassette and an X01 chain take some beating for long life although it sounds crap to start with at each end of the cassette.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
If only Shimano (or SRAM for that matter) would offer a high end , durable , 10 speed solution. That shifter is a joke ! I guess I got lucky with my M 5130 shifter , it feels nice and solid and is as good as day 1.

Thanks for the review , I'm sure it will help others avoid such a disappointing experience.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Wish I'd read this a couple of weeks ago :)

Ordered the same setup to replace my Microshift, despite replacing the derailleur on that, it still skips in the 11t because there's so much lateral flex in the design when it's in that gear (other gears are fine).

Have spent all afternoon messing with this and can't get it to shift cleanly. Tried several different chains & different lengths and I just can't get it to index nicely.

Next step might be the M5130. Now wishing I'd just bought the M5100 11 speed derailleur and used that with the Microshift 10 speed setup.

For reference, you can remove the barrel adjuster and just use the insert, it doesn't gain you any length advantage over it being screwed all the way in though .

1699464623234.png

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wound the b screw out and dropped the gap as low as possible without interference and ended up with 10mm. Looked much better.
I owe you a beer ..

Sadly you're not here, so I've elected to do the only fair thing and open it and drink it for you ! Cheers ! :)

After inventing a multitude of new swear words, it's now shifting pretty well with the B screw out - in my case, all the way !

CS-LG400 10 Speed - 43t Cassette. U6000 10/11 Speed Derailleur. G500 Chain.

Will try it again with the SRAM chain now and see if that works.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Works well (better IMO) with the SRAM 11 speed chain.

With the Shimano chain it felt and sounded snatchy in the 11t at the rear and at the chainring.

With the SRAM chain it's nice and smooth and quiet.

Ran the SRAM chain 2 links longer and had to wind the B screw in, but running it pretty much as close as you can seems to give the smoothest shifting.

The actual derailleur is horrible. The amount of play in it around the clutch area is obscene !

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
The actual derailleur is horrible. The amount of play in it around the clutch area is obscene !
Agree. I took it apart to see if there was anything loose inside. Nope, just cheaply made.
I really don't expect it to last very long at all. But I won't be riding again till spring now to test it further.
The deore m5130 would have been the better option. £10 cheaper as well.

TDA78

Oct 5, 2023
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
The U8000 components are made in Japan while the lower series are made in Indonesia. There is very little radial play (wobble) in my U8000 shifter lever. I haven't installed it yet to comment on the functionality.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I currently have 12s Hyperglide on my EB but looking to swap out to 10 or 11 speed, the lack of a quality shifter is putting me off the 10s at this point.
I replaced the u6000 I reviewed here with the 10 speed deore one. Loads better quality. Plus I actually like having a dorky shift window again! Useful.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
You can use an 11 speed Linkglide shifter in a 10 speed setup. 9, 10 and 11 speed Linkglide all have the same pull ratio and use the same 11 speed chain.
Oh interetsting that was not what i expected, I assume that you would set it up as 1-10 and use the lockout screw so it did not go above the top cog ? To be honest though if the ratios between gears are the same may as well go 11 speed I had thought that there was more distance between the cogs on the 10 speed and therefore less likely to be affected by mud and slop to my mind anyway lol.

Do you know can you use different derailleurs like the 12 speed SLX or does the ramping not work correctly

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Don't be put off by the cheap look of the Deore shifters , mine is working as good as day 1 , still feels spot on too.

For mix and match compatibility , check this guys videos.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Don't be put off by the cheap look of the Deore shifters , mine is working as good as day 1 , still feels spot on too.

For mix and match compatibility , check this guys videos.
.I have seen that before he does not actually test the combination im interested in lol but his clutch maintenance video was worth a watch :)

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Converted wife's bike to U8000 10sp and mine to LG 11sp (11-50) from 12sp (10-51). Much better shifting all round. Wife is a harsh shifter and the U8000 shifting alleviates a lot of the crunching under load, and I've found those extra shift ramps make up-shifting much less drawn out. Other than that no real difference, haven't missed the slightly greater 12sp range at all. Thanks Shimano, best thing you've done in a long time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles