Shimano 11 speed Di2 to 12 speed AXS?

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
Hi chaps. I have a 2019 pro race decoy. It has Di2.

I want to look at changing to 12 speed AXS, anyone on here done this and what should I expect to have to change- free hub and everything?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Almost everything. And it will be very expensive. You'll need a new shifter, derailleur, chain, freehub cassette, and maybe dropper if you're going all in. You might be able to keep the chainring. And the first time you destroy a derailleur in a rock garden you will weep unconsolably.

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
You’ll need a Jeffsy derailleur hanger and the AXS shifter/derailleur. The rest of the drivetrain is up to you on whether you want to replace it or not. The AXS derailleur will work just fine with the Shimano cassette and chain.

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
You’ll need a Jeffsy derailleur hanger and the AXS shifter/derailleur. The rest of the drivetrain is up to you on whether you want to replace it or not. The AXS derailleur will work just fine with the Shimano cassette and chain.
Thanks for this. What’s the situation on changing the 11 sp cassette for a 12 speed?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
On an HG freehub, your options are a bit more limited for Eagle. Think there is one SRAM cassette that works for you (PG-30?), or there's a number of Sunrace ones that do.

CSMZ800
CSMZ901-903
CSMZ90

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Thanks for this. What’s the situation on changing the 11 sp cassette for a 12 speed?

most hubs allow a relatively easy freehub swap, which would allow you to take advantage of the widest range of cassette sizes. What is your current hub? Looks like stock was an e*thirteen branded wheelset and hub. They do offer an XD freehub for that hub it seems.

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
Not sure what’s on there currently. It’s an ethirteen spec plus 11 sp cassette. Maybe I could stick a 12 sp ethirteen cassette on there instead?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Not sure what’s on there currently. It’s an ethirteen spec plus 11 sp cassette. Maybe I could stick a 12 sp ethirteen cassette on there instead?

since you’re already spending a boatload of money on AXS, I probably wouldn’t cheap it out and would go all in with an XD freehub and a an appropriately sized SRAM cassette for maximum compatibility and performance.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
You can use a Sram PG1230 cassette directly on a Shimano 11 speed driver. It's the NX level, so heavy but it'll work absolutely fine and they wear well and are *cheap*. To use any other cassette (GX, X01, XX1) you'll need to change the driver to XD.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles