Shigura vs Hope T4V4

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’ve narrowed down my new brake choices to either doing a Shigura set-up with saint levers and MT7 callipers or going with Hope Tech 4 V4. Anyone have experience with both set-ups? I’ve been reading reviews of the new Hopes and everyone seems to love them but it’s the same with Shigura set-ups.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
That's a good question.
M820 saints are my benchmark.
Mt7 with xt levers are also superb.
Tech 3 v4 are adequate, nothing more. Wonder how much better they are with the later lever?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hope brakes are not for me personally mainly because of the dot fluid and i have had problems in the past

I did experiment with shigura but didn't find any advantage over the complete saints set up
For me then it would be M820 Saints and have been for many miles and years .

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Saints were another option but I can’t find a pair in stock anywhere, it seems there’s only fronts but no rears. The only sites that seem to have both front and rear in stock seem shady, places like Merlin Cycles.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
What's wrong with Merlin Cycles? I have used them before without any problems.
I haven't had occasion to use them recently, but I have been using them since Sep'11.
I’ve never ordered from them but was going by the reviews, some are good but there’s a ton of negative reviews. If they’re legit they’re the only place with a complete set of Saints in stock that I’ve been able to find.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’ve never ordered from them but was going by the reviews, some are good but there’s a ton of negative reviews. If they’re legit they’re the only place with a complete set of Saints in stock that I’ve been able to find.
I have not bought anything from them since Dec'20, but that is not because of any warnings or doubts. It's just that they haven't had what I wanted at a price I was prepared to pay. I would get in there and buy those Saints before someone else on this Forum dives in before you! :oops:

Oxon

Jun 30, 2021
The Shire
I must have spent thousands with Merlin over the years and they've been absolutely faultless.

If you use Topcashback you can get 5% cashback at Merlin as well, which is a bonus!

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I wouldn’t recommend 2.4 rotors the MT7 calipers sit closer than MT5s I have run with 2.3 TRP rotors & Ali express levers similar to new Clark’s brakes. Had issues so Gone back to MT5 levers & calipers better modulation than with Shimano levers which are very on off power. I run the Loic Bruni levers

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Saints are great but mega grabby. Overkill for uk riding really. I tried hope t4 v4 in the alps and they work well, lots of power, lots of modulation, no heat issues. I plan to fit some to my e-bike at some point soon.

I have never ridden shigura, but had a squish on some XTR/MT7 last week and they felt pretty good. XTR lever gives a bit more modulation than Saint

+1 for Merlin (also tredz, tweeks, winstanleys, team cycles), I’ve ordered from them a bunch and the customer service is much better than crc/wiggle

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Will the saints work with a 2.3 rotor? I have the Hope HD rotors and was having issues with the codes rubbing no matter what I did.

I’m trying to price everything out now, I can get the Hope T4V4 from a local shop at a really good deal and I wouldn’t need to buy new rotors. The saints are cheaper but will end up costing more in the end if I have to buy new rotors.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
What’s the deal with hoses is you couple XT levers with mt7’s? I notice the mt7’s use banjo’s.
Uberbike sells a kit specifically for the shigura set up, it comes with all the correct fittings you need with hose and it’s cheaper than the magura hose kit. Otherwise you would use the magura hose with a shimano olive/barb.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Any what oil do people generally use? Only I’ve already got a litre of Shimano stuff!
You can use either fluid, if you’re starting with a complete Magura brake I’d just stick with the Magura oil but I was planning on buying the MT7 callipers only so I’d use Shimano oil. I’ve been using shimano oil in my magura brakes on my other bike for 2 years now.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Fwiw, I have a pair of Saint brakes on another bike and have Shigura (XT levers and MT5 calipers) on my ebike and I think the Shigura set up is better (although Saint is very good). You can use either Shimano or Magura fluid with Shiguras (some people have used a mixture to get purple fluid!) I personally used Magura Blood as it was already in the calipers and hoses so I was only effectively topping up the lever/master cylinders. You can also use either barbs and olives as both work fine despite one having a slightly larger bore in the barb.
Another vote of confidence for Merlin from me, I've bought plenty from them with no issues.
Happy New Brakes whichever set up you decide on. 😎

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I run a Shigura set-up (Saint levers/MT7 calipers/MDR-P 220mm f/r rotors/Performance brakepad rear/sport brake pad front) on all 3 of my emtbs and rate them very high.

Awesome modulation and excellent stopping power on long dh trails. If you go this route, use Magura Brake Cables/olive and barbs (the internal diameter of cable is slightly larger then Shimano Brake cables and external diameter of barb is also slightly larger as well). Obviously you will need to use Magura Royal Blood brake fluid.

Have previously run various dedicated Shimano and SRAM brake set ups, Shimano are a little too much off/on for my taste and IMHO SRAM are complete junk. Haven't run Hope's in many years, so cannot give any input.

Magura's can be a pain in the arse to bleed. There are some good videos on YouTube that can assist.

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
What's wrong with Merlin Cycles? I have used them before without any problems.
I haven't had occasion to use them recently, but I have been using them since Sep'11.
nothing wrong with Merlin cycles , pretty good on prices too, I think I’ve had most of my new tyres from them , as they seem to have the best prices regularly

Last edited:

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
I’ve narrowed down my new brake choices to either doing a Shigura set-up with saint levers and MT7 callipers or going with Hope Tech 4 V4. Anyone have experience with both set-ups? I’ve been reading reviews of the new Hopes and everyone seems to love them but it’s the same with Shigura set-ups.
Been running hope v4’s since January on my levo , they have been brilliant with no issues, way better than the sram codes they replaced

Christurbo

Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I’m running:-

Saint Levers
MT7 Pro Calipers
Galfer Purple Pads
Magura lines
MDR-P Rotors (220mm)

The setup is just incredible (and that’s coming from a full Saint setup).

Bleeding is easy when you get used to it (but not as easy as SRAM / Shimano.
CA4756E2-F6DE-4912-9981-ABC6F68D0FD4.jpeg
316988E2-6839-4EDB-A0A0-6AD515121475.jpeg
94544FCF-569C-4F15-B18D-42E25BB94708.jpeg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I’m running:-

Saint Levers
MT7 Pro Calipers
Galfer Purple Pads
Magura lines
MDR-P Rotors (220mm)

The setup is just incredible (and that’s coming from a full Saint setup).

Bleeding is easy when you get used to it (but not as easy as SRAM / Shimano. View attachment 123346 View attachment 123347 View attachment 123348
NICE set-up! From what I've read, Galfer and Magura pads are manufactured at the same plant, just color coded differently and sold under the 2 brand names. How do the purple Galfers perform when wet?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Merlin probably one of the first bike suppliers in UK been on the go 30 years I would guess.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles