Sheared battery bolt on Jam2

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Today I got "lucky" - when looking for a source of annoying squeaking (tried shock linkage, headset ) I discovered that bolts holding the battery are somewhat loose, definitely not 18 Nm... Well, torque wrench to the rescue! Lower bolt tightened as it should, but the upper just sheared, quite badly, it seems. I think, it will be possible somehow to remove it, but then it would be no longer usable... Now looking for a replacement - does anyone know where I can purchase these? I do not care if the looks won't match the original one. A bit afraid now to unscrew the lower one to check its dimensions.

Contacting focus dealer would be a bit problematic, as there are none in my country.

On the bright side - it seems these bolts were actually the reason for squeaking... don't even care to remember how much time I've now spent chasing different creaks/squeaks on my Jam2.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well found.

Unfortunately, like nearly everyone who seems to post Jam2 questions, you've not said what version it is ??? :)

So no one will know if it's a Shimano or a Bosch.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
You should be able to purchase a similar bolt from a local fastener supplier .It is sure to be countersunk M8 or something like that.
I found some alloy bolts on my 2017 model and replaced the seat clamp one with SS supported with a nut works fine as long I am careful
Good luck

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
The curiosity got the better of me and I had to unscrew the bottom bolt and examine it. Thread width is 12mm, and the distance between threads is 1mm. This looks like usual M12 bolt, with the exception that threads there are 1.5 apart and are deeper... Hopefully M12 with 1mm threads should be available too

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4862.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Andy.M, actually can't recall if the bolt is threaded inside. I remember taking a look at the tube's counterpart connection and thinking to myself - why this bolt actually has a hole in it... only to reduce weight? But I just looked with a flashlight, did not take the battery apart, so can be wrong here.

steve_sordy, yes I just posted it here as an illustration. Standard m12 bolts are with threads 1.5mm apart. Visited today local shop which specializes on that kind of stuff - they have like gazzillion of different bolts - and they had no M12 x 1 in stock at at... nevermind that I actually need 76mm length. Procuring this bolt will be harder than I thought...

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Focus have replied that they do not sell to individuals and only to their dealers and kindly provided a link with their addresses. Out of 25 dealers I contacted so far only 2 replied with - "no, sorry, not interested" (well, figures, how much can you earn by selling a single bolt), all the rest just ignored my email.

Guess this is what you get when you buy something exotic without well-established support...

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
sadly Focus do not seem to have a very helpful customer care .......Ve haf vayes of not 'elping.
Thats why I will not buy another Focus Ries & Mueller next....but they are also from the fatherland.!

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Hmm. This bolt looks exactly like a through axle, just sizing it a bit odd - only 75mm in length. This would also explain why there is inner thread

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles