Share your Giant Trance e+ climbing set-ups, techniques and experiences.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I just noticed that the new entry level 2020 Giant Trance e+3Pro has nicer component upgrades compared to the 2019 counterpart. This is a great step forward. Amongst other things I noticed is that it now has a SRAM PG1210, 11-50T, 12speed cassette... drool.

My 2019 model has a plain 10 speed 11-36T cassette, and come to think of it - I do most of my climbing on the 28T cog at power settings 2 or 3. These are long fire road ascends to get to the mountain top trail heads so it's a seated affair, and using a bigger cog would just be too slow and take too long. Every now and again I do find myself confronted by fairly steep technical trail sections where I have to use the 36T cog - and at power setting 5 my Trance e+ climbs like a goat (what the Yamaha Syncdrive Pro motor is renowned for). Granted these challenges are just short trail segments so it doesn't tax my battery range. From past experience I have always found that standing up on my 36T cog is very tricky (the bike travelling so slow) - and is best done seated mashing at low to medium cadence.

I toyed around with the idea of upgrading to a 42T but hesitated because it's not that much different...

So now I'm curious (I'm thinking I want one so I can try steeper climbs)... what's climbing with the 50T granny like? Is it hard to balance an enduro bike pointing upwards at near walking pace?

Last edited:

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
My Trance e+2 is 11-46 as all are I think. When climbing super steep and technical stuff where I use the 46 I set the power on 2 and sit neutral on the bike where I can wieght the front and rear as needed. I never stand unless for a short time to hop over a rock or root as to slightly unweight the ft or rear then sit back down. I have found that settings 4 and 5 make the bike spin or lift the ft to easy depending on how much traction there is and power setting 2 is kind of like traction control when using the bigger gears. I think you will like the bigger cassette especially if you have a steep climb with decent traction. You can grunt up like you do on a 450 mxer or a KTM 300 2 stroker. Otherwise you have to hit the climbs hard in the 36 tooth and hope you don’t run out of power or traction like when riding a 125.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I cant comment on the different gear options but I must say I am always blown away by the climbing ability of my e+1.

Like you say, keeping it in a medium power setting and staying seated, while using the bigger gears, is the best approach i have found. As soon as I stand up I will lose traction on the back wheel and that usually brings the climb to a sudden halt.

Every time I get to the top of a steep technical climb I look back and wonder how the hell i made it up! Puts a BIG smile on my face and really makes me appreciate buying an ebike :)

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
The 50T is great for climbing but as you guessed it's not the easiest to balance at low speed but that's part of the skill :) Once the trail flattens out (but still incline) the problem is if you're in too low a gear you''ll be spinning like mad but going nowhere with little support from the motor.

If you're looking for cheap added climbing ability consider a smaller front cog. You could try a 34T or even a 32t.

Clausguld

Mar 25, 2019
Denmark
I chance my gearing to 38 teeth sprocket and a 11-42 cassette. That’s the best thing I ever done. Still some decent topspeed and on the steep section the 42 teeth on level 2-3 sitting on the bike.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I changed my +3 to the 42T HG500 and dont regret it at all.
I have the luxury of swopping between Trance E-Pro +3 / +2 and +1 out on a ride as my mates have the other two so i got to try 36 / 46 / 50 on the same killer slopes.

42 helps a LOT.
46 and 50 are better still.

36 is no use for these...

IMG_7443.JPG

Maybe wait until its new chain and casette time and upgrade to the HG500. You will need a longer B-Screw to clear 1st gear properly.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
As per technique (my bike is a spectral) I like to stand in slow super steep climbs, its the best way to keep the front end planted, but, I have to keep the hans light on the handlebar because any weight displaced out of the pedals to the handlebars will result in a rear wheel spin. It has a 50 cog but I fear that suspension movement may stress the drivetrain so I only use it on smooth steep trails and mostly use the 46 both in trail or boost mode, depending on the grade.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
As per technique (my bike is a spectral)... It has a 50 cog but I fear that suspension movement may stress the drivetrain so I only use it on smooth steep trails and mostly use the 46 both in trail or boost mode...
What size chainring on the Spectral?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles