• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Shadow Plus or not, what's the difference?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My bike came with a Shimano XT RDM8100 Shadow+ 12-speed mech. It got written off and I had to replace it with a Shimano SLX RD-M7100 SGS 12-speed mech. The box it came in made no mention of "Shadow+" or I would have made a note of it.

I have damaged that mech as well now; not fatally, but it made me have a look around to see what was available.

When I Googled "Shimano SLX RD-M7100 SGS 12-speed" I got a mix of offerings, some that mention Shadow+ and some that don't. Is there a difference, or do some websites mention it and others don't because it's all the same?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
'Shadow Plus' simply refers to the clutch mechanism which increases tension of the chain. This enables the chain whilst pedalling to not fall off the chainring, as well as prevent the chain from bouncing when the terrain becomes more adventurous.

Without getting nerdy, near enough all M-series derailleurs which are 11 speed optimised and up use shadow plus. From the Deore line, all the way to XT.

The only difference between each derailleur is weight and material.
Doddy will explain it better than me 😅

Good luck @steve_sordy 👍🏿

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"Shadow" is simply the name Shimano gave to their new (at the time) narrower profile 8 and 9 speed rear mechs when they released them back around 2007/8
"Shadow+" was released a few years later with their newer 10sp mtb groupsets still remaining narrow profile but gaining the addition of the clutch mechanism. (What the "+" refers to)
all current 10, 11 and 12 speed shimano mtb rear mechs are now shadow plus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles