• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Plus size Tyres and Mud 27.5+

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
HI All

Can anyone help?
I have a 2019 Kenevo with 27.5 2.8 tyres currently running Eddy Current front and rear and while they were great in the summer i am finding that they are not so good in the winter mud.
I am getting loss of traction on the fast stuff and bogged down in the slow stuff.
What tyres would you recommend maybe 2.6" to cut through the mud better or is that still a big ask for a + size tyre?
On my analogue bike i have 29 2.4 Spec purgatory tyres and they are running really well in the mud.

Any advice?
Thanks Joe

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Your not alone, I'm all over the place on my 2.8 tyres as soon as I hit the mud, there awesome for tanking over/through most things but as soon as it gets a bit sloppy there really unpredictable and holding my speed back a lot, I am going to switch them out to a pair of 2.6 and see if there worth the trade off, less tanking but hopefully more grip....or is it we are just a bit crap in the mud ? :LOL:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My Stumpjumper has 27.5 with 38 diameter - running 3.0 tyres.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was just me. I’m now riding a Trek Rail with 29 x 2.6, and can ride so much more aggressive without the same fear! On Saturday I did the same run 5 times, and got faster and faster... taking corners like I’d never manage on my 27.5 x 3.0’s!

Makes me want to change the wheels / tyres on my old bike... but then I’m not sure how much I’ll be riding it anymore ?

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
Thanks for the advice guys, i think i will try some 2.6 spec tyres. Also have a Levo Demo bike booked for the weekend at the end of the month which will give me a good chance to see how its 29+ peform versus my Kenevo.
Maybe the Kenevo it just too much in the winter! thinking to sell it and buy a Levo 2020.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
On my analogue bike i have 29 2.4 Spec purgatory tyres and they are running really well in the mud.

Any advice?

Think of your Eeb as just a bike that's a little bit heavier, it honestly doesn't need any different tyres to your non motorised mtb.
ie. same logic applies
Unless you ride sand or plod along never really ever properly leant over plus tyres are shit no matter what bike you put them on.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles